This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top speed...

May be an illusion / erroneous feeling but it feels like my car stops accelerating at 140mph on the speedo (so prob less in real life).

At that speed the dial doesnt really seem to move, I think it might if I carried on but always run out of track as the progress is so slow.

I checked speeds against revs and and found that in 6th gear at exactly 4k revs, the car was at 109mph on speedo. Is this about right? If I then floor it I found that at 4.5k revs the car was around 125mph but I can't remember exactly what figures were what at that speed as I was concentrating.

Can someone witha stage 2 confirm what speed theirs is at at 6th gear and exactly 4k revs? Thanks

Dunno about what revs but from 100 to off the clock mine gets there really quick with ease!!

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey_Lad View Post
      May be an illusion / erroneous feeling but it feels like my car stops accelerating at 140mph on the speedo (so prob less in real life).

At that speed the dial doesnt really seem to move, I think it might if I carried on but always run out of track as the progress is so slow.

I checked speeds against revs and and found that in 6th gear at exactly 4k revs, the car was at 109mph on speedo. Is this about right? If I then floor it I found that at 4.5k revs the car was around 125mph but I can't remember exactly what figures were what at that speed as I was concentrating.

Can someone witha stage 2 confirm what speed theirs is at at 6th gear and exactly 4k revs? Thanks
      A stage 2 car will be doing the same revs/speed as a std car unless you have changed the gearing.

Power doesn't change the gearing

Astra

Comment

Originally posted by smokinvxr View Post
        Dunno about what revs but from 100 to off the clock mine gets there really quick with ease!!
        Same here really. But i'd say more 100-150 is pretty damn quick, then 150-160 is slightly slower.Don't forget speedos overead, so at 140 on the clock your probably only doing 135 ish.

Comment

The car certainly will get to 145 on the speedo, but it really slows up at around 140. Maybe not so much if it is one direct sprint from 100 onwards, but for example if you are at static at 120mph and then drop it to 5th and floor it, it rises to 140 then sort of continues but at a very slow rate. I often get the feeling that the car won't actually go beyond 150... it certainly feels well out of steam at these speeds.

I think I may have just "gotten used to the power" to be honest. I know the car is driving normally as it keeps up with things as usual and feels ok, but I read all these posts on here and how people say it is lightening quick to go off the clock, but I cant see how. I drove an FQ300 the other week and it felt exactly the same in terms of "pull" at these motorway speeds.

Comment

Motorway speeds are 70mph, 140mph is more like private runway speeds

Comment

cant wait to compare how my vxr goes when i get pick it up! The mini goes off the clock at 150mph, but from using the revs and gearing i have had 163mph out of mine on a private track that is! So thats at 6700rpm in 6th.

Alex

Comment

My Burg goes off the clock! I’m sure they meant to be limited unless the Speedo is not 100% accurate? All done on private road!
                Bastuck De-Cat pipe and Regal IPF for sale!

Comment

Thats what I mean though, lots of claims but nobody can confirm the facts, i.e what their speedo says at 4k revs in 6th... At the end of the day I have a perfectly healthy VXR which I know should equate to any other healthy VXR, so there is no reason for it to be any different to any other owners cars. It is just a perception I have of how the car feels at high speed, like I say, I think I am used to the power now.

As for 163mph out of a mini I would be very surprised. The standard VXR apparently gets to 152. And on that note how is the above true about the mapping not affecting the gear speed ratio? If a mapped car goes faster than a standard car, it has to!

Comment

Thats what I mean though, lots of claims but nobody can confirm the facts, i.e what their speedo says at 4k revs in 6th... At the end of the day I have a perfectly healthy VXR which I know should equate to any other healthy VXR, so there is no reason for it to be any different to any other owners cars. It is just a perception I have of how the car feels at high speed, like I say, I think I am used to the power now.

As for 163mph out of a mini I would be very surprised. The standard VXR apparently gets to 152. And on that note how is the above true about the mapping not affecting the gear speed ratio? If a mapped car goes faster than a standard car, it has to!
                    Think of a bicycle your in top gear and turn the pedals at 1 rev per second - if Chris Hoy the olympian was doing the same he would be no quicker, he only becomes quicker as he can rev faster (Acceleration) or higher due to more power

A 500bhp Cosworth with the same gearing as a 200bhp Cosworth will do the same speed at 3k 4k 5k revs etc - the power will only make you get there quicker or of you have the rev limit increased means the extra power can push it closer to the redline in 6th

Astra

Comment

i think his mini is far from standard though mate

sure i read somewhere that he was getting 250ish BHp out of that bad boy

Comment

I thought burg's were electroniclly limited to 155mph, or is it just a myth?

Comment

Originally posted by dale wootton View Post
                          I thought burg's were electroniclly limited to 155mph, or is it just a myth?
                          I have no idea m8 thats what i thought? but i was defo off the clock might have been better to look at the kmh on the testmode computer
                          Bastuck De-Cat pipe and Regal IPF for sale!

Comment

Originally posted by VXR-POWER View Post
                            cant wait to compare how my vxr goes when i get pick it up! The mini goes off the clock at 150mph, but from using the revs and gearing i have had 163mph out of mine on a private track that is! So thats at 6700rpm in 6th.

Alex
                            163!??

My sis has the Mini John Cooper Works, and that will be toping out at 152-155 at a push!

Comment

Thats not a bad top end for a 2 litre. What engine is in your sis mini.

Comment

Working...
                              X