This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ChipsAway

Taking the astra down to a local ChipsAway on Monday for quote on two wheel repairs and a little stone chip on passenger wing.

Anyone here had any dealings with them?
    Any other firms do you recommend?

Frank

they are good got them coming to quote me for my wheel scuff soon.
    Astra vxr mk2 with stage 1 EDS remap

Comment

I was going to use them for my scratch. For wheels I cant comment but for paint I'd choose somewhere else, only because their repairs are done under a lamp not an oven. I'd rather my car was done using an oven.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DargY
        I was going to use them for my scratch. For wheels I cant comment but for paint I'd choose somewhere else, only because their repairs are done under a lamp not an oven. I'd rather my car was done using an oven.
        you wanna get hold of leelee he his opening up a body repair shop spraying wheels etc etc only at hitchin too aint that far from you might get it cheaper with being a member of this place , he's gonna do my wheels and i'm gonna do him some security grilles for his unit
        sigpic
        stealth no more but beware of the silver lightning GSI with vxr power
        M.U.F.C.
        http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/

Comment

read this interesting artocle
          ID: 6740) January 17, 2007 German TechArt Automobildesign has released a clever new designer rim for all current Porsche models! With the new Formula II light-alloy multi-piece wheel has a five-spoke design with stylized screws in the outer ring of the star and a highly polished exchangeable stainless-steel flange. The advantage of this design is very relevant in the real world as a wheel that is scratched by scraping the curb can be easily and inexpensively repaired by the changing of the flange.
          this would save me a fortune
          i can but dream

Comment

To oven a paint repair surely either the panel be removed or the car be stripped out as the temps which are used means the car would literally melt inside???

Comment

Mel,

I don’t think the temp is that high. As far as I was aware they sanded painted and lacquered the panel then oven’d it at a suitable temp for the correct time.

Just like a cake. A gradual cook makes it taste better.
              sigpic

Comment

yeh they dont get too temps where the rest of the paint bubbles just enough to make it dry quicker and harden better
                sigpic
                M.U.F.C.

Comment

Ah ok..I was thinkin it reached the same temp as manufacturer oven bake!!

oopppssiieee

Comment

Originally posted by VXR - xtc
                    To oven a paint repair surely either the panel be removed or the car be stripped out as the temps which are used means the car would literally melt inside???

Comment

Originally posted by VXR - xtc
                      Ah ok..I was thinkin it reached the same temp as manufacturer oven bake!!

oopppssiieee
                      like a chicken in the oven , not a bernard mattews one tho
                      sigpic
                      M.U.F.C.

Comment

LOL
                        sigpic

Comment

Chips Away did some epairs to both my old Astra G Linea Rossa (Lightning Silver) and the wifes Meriva (Aztec Gold) Both were pearlescent finishes. The end result was really impressive and the repairs were not visible (although a slight roughness to the laquer was present. This simply polished back with fine cutting paste and a good polish after a week to allow laquer to harden off.

Would recommend them, but it must be noted that Chips Away operators are all individuals with individual levels of skills. No different to any other paintshop I guess. Anyway, I'm rambling on now..... Upshot is, I would recommend the local gut in Caerphilly Area

Comment

here are the results of the work done by my local chipsaway guy

before

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a24/phinatic/b41.jpg

after

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a24/phinatic/af1.jpg

wayner

www.primeshine.co.uk

Detailing and Valeting Southwest

Comment

Looks a great job done on your wheel.
                              Will wait and see what price they quote me now.

How much was that wheel repair Wayner?

Comment

Working...
                              X