Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

just some advice whats better to get a cone filter or pannel?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • just some advice whats better to get a cone filter or pannel?

    Hi i was just woundering whitch would be better for my astra a cone filter or a pannel becouse im wanting to tune my astra but moneys quite tight at the moment?
    Any advise would be kindly recived?

  • #2
    do a search on here mate pleanty threads on this, but can say this. panel filters are better imo as they safeguard the air from heatsoak whereas the cone filters are more prone tho heatsoak within the engine bay unless running a cold ait feed hth, some prefer keeping the standard filter but changing every few months or so, some go for the panel filter option, hell some have the open cone filters, at the end of the day its persoanl prefrence, but remember anything you change which is not OEM standard will void the warranty just a heads up
    sigpic
    GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

    Comment


    • #3
      For noise i would get a cone K&N but it gives no performance increases, i have a K&N and decided to go for the stage two remap by thorney and then on to stage three and the advice from them and i would say any other tuners is that the standard airbox with a performance filter is the best for performance increase that you will get as the standard airbox is almost perfect.

      There guys who talk about heat soak aswell where the cone sits very close to the turbo area where it is pretty hot and it draws the hot air in.

      I bought an ITG panel filter from thorney but yet to fit it as ive to buy a new airbox because i bought my car with a K&N.

      Comment


      • #4
        oh thanks for that my warenty is runnig out at the end of december any way are there any things that would be worth checking before it runs out coz i have only had the car from begining of october? oh and ive just bought a baileys dump valve is there any certain way to fit it because because i have heard they can course problems but i have been told that they prolong the life of the turbo and help it spool quicker as well?
        Last edited by D20 VXR; 10 November 2008, 08:03 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          erm i guess the most common issues on astra's are really amm (air mass meters) prone to fail (even if standard).
          apart from that its just one off things to go wrong, most of the rest providing you havnt had any other issues/problems will be down to wear and tear
          sigpic
          GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by vxr bad boy View Post
            erm i guess the most common issues on astra's are really amm (air mass meters) prone to fail (even if standard).
            apart from that its just one off things to go wrong, most of the rest providing you havnt had any other issues/problems will be down to wear and tear
            I figure its cheaper to buy an air box and performance panel filter than it would be to replace the MAF or AMM as the cost of these and the annoyance of it going when you are on the road i think the panel is the best as i am sure my K&N cant be doing the MAF an faviours.

            I mind my old seat ibiza cupra r, i was always having to replace the maf as i had a pipercross viper filter and it was basically taking to much air in and in effect blowing it out like a candle, it would do it mostly in the summer when it was hot as.

            Go ITG or similar panel filter

            Comment


            • #7
              oh rite chears i no this may sound dumb but what is SMD ?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by W4GCN View Post
                I figure its cheaper to buy an air box and performance panel filter than it would be to replace the MAF or AMM as the cost of these and the annoyance of it going when you are on the road i think the panel is the best as i am sure my K&N cant be doing the MAF an faviours.

                I mind my old seat ibiza cupra r, i was always having to replace the maf as i had a pipercross viper filter and it was basically taking to much air in and in effect blowing it out like a candle, it would do it mostly in the summer when it was hot as.

                Go ITG or similar panel filter
                thats why i recommended either panel filter (aftermarket) or change the standard one more regularly i ust mean the amm issue had affected alot of astras/corsas whther they were standard or tuned and to ge tthis looked at before his warranty ran out
                sigpic
                GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by D20 VXR View Post
                  oh rite chears i no this may sound dumb but what is SMD ?
                  surface mount device/diode

                  basically the lights that are on circuits to light them up inc dash etc
                  sigpic
                  GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    oh cool was that a lot of work to do? or did you have to pay a lot to get it done?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by D20 VXR View Post
                      oh cool was that a lot of work to do? or did you have to pay a lot to get it done?
                      Do a search! Loads on that aswell!
                      Corsa VXR Arden, 18's
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by D20 VXR View Post
                        oh cool was that a lot of work to do? or did you have to pay a lot to get it done?
                        a lot of work needs doing and patience its done by a fella on here called daz (vxrcourt3) drop him a pm if you want it doing do a search on here for smd conversions and youl see his hard work
                        sigpic
                        GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by vxr bad boy View Post
                          thats why i recommended either panel filter (aftermarket) or change the standard one more regularly i ust mean the amm issue had affected alot of astras/corsas whther they were standard or tuned and to ge tthis looked at before his warranty ran out
                          Totally agree with you mate!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Go for a good panel filter or the 1.9 CDTI airbox conversion as some have done. Cone filters are bad due to heat soak from the engine.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X