X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting Side Light LED's

Hi peeps,

Got myself some LED PIAA sidelights which shouldnt require any mod's to get them working - we sahll see.

Any way. Its inpossible to get the sidlights through the wheel arch and can only get to the main beam bulb from under the bonnet as theres not enough room to get to the side light.

Though of simply popping the lighs out so undid the two visible screws under the bonnet to take them out but they would hardly budge. Im asuming theres third bolt that i can see holding them in.

So, do i need to drop the bumper and if so how do you do it. Anyone that has done this and could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Jay,

It is possible to change the side lights from the engine bay. Really fiddley job and can end up scratching your hands a bit if you're not careful, but a damn sight quicker than removing the headlight unit as I believe you have to drop the bumper off the access all the bolts.

I ended up removing the side light bulb by pulling on the wire as I couldn't get a proper grip of the holder, I know not ideal but it worked. When re-fitting look through the hole from the outside to help line the bulb up and make sure they are pushed home fully, I had a few attempts to get the drivers side back in properly.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Chris
    Red Astra VXR, Anthracite TD Pro Race 1.2s on Vredsteins, Remus, Forge Intercooler and Recirc valve, TMS Stage 3, RARB, Percy's CDTi Airbox, ITG Filter, NGK Iridium Plugs
    Blue LED interior lighting, LED sidelights.
    Alpine IVA-W502R, PXA-H100, PDX-1.600, SWR-1222D, KCE-400BT

Comment

Ive tried fitting them but cant get my hands in, think dropping the bumper is going to be the only way but have no idea how to do it.

Comment

just remove the air filter housing the other side is ok.

www.courtenaysport.co.uk/ For all your tuning needs

Comment

you can get to the bulbs to change then if thats all you need to do unless your hands are huge.

Comment

Prob was i could just about get my hnads down to the main beam bulb (have standard headlight) but couldnt reach the side lihgt bulb and couldnt see it so i have ni idea how its connected up etc and would have thought this would be very hard to do by 'feel' alone.

Comment

I want some new bulbs but i'm being a bit put off it on here. Everyone seems to have problems. i have no problem removing the airbox but the bumper i'm not too sure about.

Comment

If you have the std headlight, its in the same bit as the main beam bulb, as you look at the back of the head light its at 7 oclock just grab the wires and just pull out but if you remove the air filter housing its easy to get to and see.

Comment

Originally posted by GraemeJ View Post
                  I want some new bulbs but i'm being a bit put off it on here. Everyone seems to have problems. i have no problem removing the airbox but the bumper i'm not too sure about.

I didnt remove any thing but you need a jack and it is fiddley, with the air box removed its easy and then when you do the other side you know what your doing.

Comment

hey jay! i was wondering what piaa side lights did you purchase? did u go for the terra's? if you did u wont regret lol.

Comment

H11
                      fogs are easy just jack the car up disconect the wires turn bulb 1/4 turn ant clockwise and it comes out.
                      H7
                      the outer of the two lights is got too from under the wheel arch theres a small cover to remove, then a rubber cover turn the bulb again 1/4 turn and remove with the wires still on pull out the bulb but dont touch the class bit on any bulb, put back in as was removed
                      H1
                      from under the bonnet, remove the air filter houseing makes this easy, remover the rubber cover, then the wire then theres a small spring clip holds the bulb in uncip it and with draw the bulb,put back as was removed

any thing ive missed please chip in.It is a fiddly job but helps if you have small hands LOL

Comment

But if you want to remove the bumper

Take the top grill off, either 4 t20's or 4 push centre retainers, if its the push retainers then make sure you dont lose the centres. Give the grill a firm tug to get it off. There should be a couple of bolts underneath. then there should be two in each wheelarch, and there is 3-4 push retainers underneath. Then you may need an assistant, you have to push the bumper just after the wheel arch, then at the same time pull the wheel arch edge of the bumper. it should pop off, with one side off disconnect you headlamp washer hoses if fitted. and disconnect front fog lights and the outside air temp sensor. Then pull of the other side of the bumper the same as previous. hey presto

Comment

Basically, you need to remove the pipe between the airbox and the air scoop under the slam panel, and on the other side, the relay/plug thing off the front of the fuse box. You'll get easy access then.

There's plenty of room to do stuff, I even soldered resistors in there to use LED sidelights (Before ones that didn't need them were around!!)
                          Sold - Arden Blue Astra VXR on 19's
                          Ordered - Pure White Golf GTI on 18's (couldn't stomach paying for 19" tyres any more!)

Comment

Originally posted by Freelancer303 View Post
                            Jay,

It is possible to change the side lights from the engine bay. Really fiddley job and can end up scratching your hands a bit if you're not careful, but a damn sight quicker than removing the headlight unit as I believe you have to drop the bumper off the access all the bolts.

I ended up removing the side light bulb by pulling on the wire as I couldn't get a proper grip of the holder, I know not ideal but it worked. When re-fitting look through the hole from the outside to help line the bulb up and make sure they are pushed home fully, I had a few attempts to get the drivers side back in properly.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Chris

i managed to do this on both my astras just have to pull the wire and they will pop out but make sure you grab both togeather...... it is tricky but its simple once you have done it once. and there is no need to remove anything to get at this, unless you have sausage mits. lol
                            INSIGNIA VXR

Comment

Originally posted by Gnasher View Post
                              Basically, you need to remove the pipe between the airbox and the air scoop under the slam panel, and on the other side, the relay/plug thing off the front of the fuse box. You'll get easy access then.

There's plenty of room to do stuff, I even soldered resistors in there to use LED sidelights (Before ones that didn't need them were around!!)

yep i agree mate.

Comment

Working...
                              X