X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Question - Fuel

Hi Guys,

I'm very new so please be gentle! I've run a search and can't seem to find the answer.

Does the Astra VXR run best on regular or "super" unleaded fuel? Hoping regular to cut down the fuel bills a bit. The Evo has an unquenshible thirst for Shell V-Power!

My old CTR ran better on regular which was good.

Cheers.

97 ron or higher is best for the VXR

Comment

Shame but cheers for the answer.

I take it there won't be a problem if you had to run on 95 if 97 wasn't available and you were running out?

Comment

you could always add a bottle of octane booster to the 95 ron!
        but the VXR ecu will sense the lower grade fuel and adjust but you wont be running at the optimal power level.

Comment

I use Tesco 99...

Its not that bad priced 87.9p at the moment.

Comment

yeh me too use tescos or v power for the best performance and welcome to the site \/
            sigpic
            stealth no more but beware of the silver lightning GSI with vxr power
            M.U.F.C.
            http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/

Comment

I just use the normal Tesco stuff (95 RON) as they don't sell the 99 RON round here :?

Runs fine on the lower grade fuel.

As for octane booster, how much would you need realistically in a full tank of fuel to gain the extra 2/4 RON, more than one of those little bottles me thinks no matter what it says on it

Comment

Ran mine on normal 95 Ron for over 13K miles and it was fine. Granted you won't get full power but the difference isn't that large. However since getting s3'd I only ever run with 97, and mostly V-Power.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexFi
                  Ran mine on normal 95 Ron for over 13K miles and it was fine. Granted you won't get full power but the difference isn't that large. However since getting s3'd I only ever run with 97, and mostly V-Power.
                  It's not necessarily just power you get from the higher octane fuels but much better driveability, engine response and smoothness.

Economy will also be better off-setting the increased cost on a car designed to run optimally on the higher octane fuels.

Andy

Comment

Thanks, however the main point is the car will run fine on it and it isn't a necessity to run on 97.

Comment

Mel where do u get ur tesxo 99 please?
                      we commute to nottingham for v-power

Comment

Originally posted by TROGER
                        Mel where do u get ur tesxo 99 please?
                        we commute to nottingham for v-power
                        tesco peterborough hampton. I work opposite so its really handy. Also melton and oakham having the BEST tesco ever we also do the weekly shop there.

Where bouts are you in the lovely county of leicestershire?

Comment

melton
                          had a feeling u were going to say peterboro
                          thanx for the heads up again tho

Comment

Originally posted by AlexFi
                            Thanks, however the main point is the car will run fine on it and it isn't a necessity to run on 97.
                            Thanks, but I didn't say it wouldn't run 'fine' on it did I? - I just advocated the benefits of using a higher octane fuel that people are potentially unaware of - you referred only to power (which is why you were quoted - not because I disagreed with you :wink: ).

People should be given all the facts before making a decision on which fuel to use

Andy

Comment

I think I saw you ages ago once in the summer. Heading out towards loughborough on that road, by the college and further up the stables.

Yeah it's a nightmare over the weekend or if I forget and run it down where to get 99 petrol. or any super petrol. It's like our bit of the country is behind the times!!

Comment

Working...
                              X