This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does the Astra handle ?

AS you may know im looking around the market for new car.. VXR 'Burg is high on the list.. but does it go well ?

Have seen the reviews on both TopGear and 5th Gear.. both say same thing (kind of) the astra is ballistic in a straight line but show it a corner and it understeers like "a shopping trolly full of logs" (Clarkson)

is it really that epic when it comes to handling ?

cheers

They say the st has a better chassis set up for the power which is true so you must think this to decide. If you like pure aggession go for the vxr or if you got a bad back and like a nice ride go for the st.

Comment

I'm afraid all the tv programmes are a bit anti Astra VXR, Any car with lots of power and poor throttle application will be a handful. Yes I agree they can be a it busy at times but once you tune to it, it does become a wonderful car to drive.

I would strongly recommend the addition of an adjustable rear anti roll bar though.

The standard car handles pretty well as standard but are geared to understeer. The roll bar helps to rebalance the car and gain lots of performance.

Pound for pound this is the best mod out there for the Astra

Comment

that would be the whiteline kit i have seen posted everywhere ?!?

so that thrown in with a Quaife would make it a very good handling car ?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveW View Post
          AS you may know im looking around the market for new car.. VXR 'Burg is high on the list.. but does it go well ?

Have seen the reviews on both TopGear and 5th Gear.. both say same thing (kind of) the astra is ballistic in a straight line but show it a corner and it understeers like "a shopping trolly full of logs" (Clarkson)

cheers
          lol

Here were my initial thoughts :|

http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...highlight=dair

Comment

Originally posted by DAIR View Post
            lol

Here were my initial thoughts :|

http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...highlight=dair
            lol nice...

i used to have a Corsa B with a LET running EDS Phase2.. that was an animal to drive. no power steering, no ABS, no nothing lol..

was running around 260 ish

Comment

Originally posted by SteveW View Post

cheers
              ye if its not worth 100K+ or an aston martin then clarkson doesnt like it.

Rabbid Tuned - WG Motorworks
              www.wgmotorworks.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by MAYHEW820 View Post
                I'm afraid all the tv programmes are a bit anti Astra VXR, Any car with lots of power and poor throttle application will be a handful. Yes I agree they can be a it busy at times but once you tune to it, it does become a wonderful car to drive.

I would strongly recommend the addition of an adjustable rear anti roll bar though.

The standard car handles pretty well as standard but are geared to understeer. The roll bar helps to rebalance the car and gain lots of performance.

Pound for pound this is the best mod out there for the Astra
                no i have to disagree,

Rabbid Tuned - WG Motorworks
                www.wgmotorworks.co.uk

Comment

Fair enough,

It comes down to confidence at the end of the day. If your scared of your car then it's gonna scare you more and more, and bite away at your confidence.

I'm in perfect harmony with my Astra, so yes, It is wonderful to drive

Comment

He wasn't on about confidence... he was refering to getting it to pull off the line smoothly and being able to regularly drive it both and in and out of sport mode with a remap it still get decent control over the throttle.

Independent bespoke mapping available see my Facebook or find me at WG Motorworks

Clique #14

Comment

I don't see what the problem is with getting an Astra off the line??? Good clutch and throttle modulation with a bit of anticipation, no problems. Straight ahead, diff is locked.
                      Even corner work is find is fine. It's all about keeping you tyres within the circle of forces. If you can cope with that then fine

Comment

Well here is a video of me following my m8 in his Porsche GT3 round the Nurburgring, ENOUGH SAID!

http://www.vimeo.com/1338803

Comment

It's with the software you get used to it but then you switch to sports mode and you have to get used to it and then you turn sports off its all different again and you have to relearn it.

In eco mode it's dead as anything and feels guttless

In sports mode it's over welming off the line and when the boost kicks in you just loose traction with or without TC.

Don't know how other maps are like but the James tried didn't impress..

Independent bespoke mapping available see my Facebook or find me at WG Motorworks

Clique #14

Comment

A standard car is just as quick in Normal mode as it is in Sport. Just different throttle sensitivity and steering feel.
                            If the sport mode throttle pedal is too short then keep out of sport surely??

Comment

Originally posted by R i c h a r d View Post
                              In eco mode it's dead as anything and feels guttless
                              You just have to put your foot down more as the throttle is no where near as sensitive as sport mode. The power is still there and the car is still quick off the line without sport mode. You just have to get used to putting your foot down more than you previously did otherwise it does feel like there is no power there but this is what makes the car so drivable...for me anyway.

I've done 55k in my car now only 6k of which was with the standard map. I now have stage 2. You do get used to both maps if you drive it enough. I can drive my car in the wet with sport on without any trouble....just have to remember to hardly press the throttle!!

Comment

Working...
                              X