This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scraping brakes

My VXR's brakes have started making a scraping noise when I brake. This only happens though just before I come to a standstill. I cant remember this happening before and does this mean I might need new pads? I've done 19k miles and don't really brake heavily as it's motorway miles. Thought they'd last longer as my previous cars pads have never needed changing in 25k miles.

They usually go, at approx 20k, but it depends on your driving style, they probably need replacing, id get them checked out.

Comment

if they are grinding, be careful or you will need disks too.

Comment

i think my rears are ready
        WARNING all replys are incorrect as usual

Comment

so when they start scraping this is a sign that the pads need replacing>??
          Arden Racing Edition

Comment

Mine did this mate i was pulling my hairout at it, so i bought all new brakes to replace everything, 500 bucks later and it turns out it was the disc backing plate that was touching the brake disc. I just leavered them away from the disc and the sit about 5mm off it now.

Try that it defo worth trying before replacing anything!

Hope that helps.

Comment

Cheers I'll ask one of my neighbours to have a look as I am useless.

Comment

Mine scrape if the cars sat for more than a few days, just surface rust

Astra

Comment

If the breaks are grinding it may be that some loose dirst / has got stuck between the pad and disk or it maybe a sign of low brake pads.

Comment

My neighbour has had a look and he says the brakes are fine, quite a bit left on them so hopefully just a bit of grit. Hasn't been happening much today though

Comment

Originally posted by jimster View Post
                      My neighbour has had a look and he says the brakes are fine, quite a bit left on them so hopefully just a bit of grit. Hasn't been happening much today though
                      Try getting some speed going and breaking heavily a couple of times, should dislodge whatever is stuck if thats the problem

Comment

I can almost put money on it being the backing plates, mine use to do it just before it comes to a stand still and very slight noise when driving dead slow and turning say in a turning head or doing a three point turn.

Easy to fix but not obvious to spot straght away.

I replaced everything and it still did it then used a pry bar to bend the plates back about 5mm off the disc, instant relief man, i was almost going to sell it because it was driving me so mad.

Comment

Perfectly normal for this time of year, high moisture levels mean that there is always a layer of surface rusting to the discs which have to been cleaned up when next driven causing a bit of noise. Best to go out and do a few lead foot braking stops and it will keep the discs happy.

Drove mine to work yesterday (4 miles) in traffic so no braking hardly. This surface layer had hardly been broken on the rears!! Had to thrash the brake pedal a bit on the way home

Comment

Jesus how do you end up with a build up of rust that you can actually see?

Just by what was originally said i can bet my big toe its the backing plates, not a common fault but does happen.

I dont get build up atol, if theres that much surface rust on your rears sounds like you need a new set of discs and pads as there nae doing there job.

Although in saying that i did go to new york on hols for a week and left the car for a week in the airport cp and the discs were orange when i got back.

Comment

My rears have always sounded dodgy since I have had the car, the pads are all nice and thick (even after 28k - I must drive like a wuss!!)

I'll have a look at the backing plates tomorrow - if it cures it, I owe you a beer, W4GCN!!
                              Sold - Arden Blue Astra VXR on 19's
                              Ordered - Pure White Golf GTI on 18's (couldn't stomach paying for 19" tyres any more!)

Comment

Working...
                              X