This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stage 3 plus.... gear box and drive train possible problems

ive just found out that the vxr's gear box is rated to 320lbft of torque (thats what the 32 stands for) which should handle stage 3 no problem although it would be on its max.

has anyone who has thought about more power (worsey, dave and mel) thought about maybe an upgrade in gear box internals and clutch. im sure a good fast road clutch should take around 400hp and about 400lbft but to upgrade the internals of the gear box would be a small fortune.

the price for quaiffe interanal and maybe a stronger atb type diff would go into the 4k plus region.

just wondred if people are actually considering going this far. 300 brake seems relitavely easy but anything over that is looking like its gonna start being a big can of worms.
    stage 2 vxr

[email protected]

Im my opinion anything more than 300bhp in a FWD astra is taking the p*ss really. If you want 300+ buy another car that comes with that as standard!. i.e evo 320 e.t.c

I bought the astra for its standard figures, you will always get used to the power unless you drive a "supercar".

Just my 2 pence worth

Comment

i appreciate your opinion and ive got no intention of going over 300 brake as i dont want to fall into the same trap as i did before

but... im interested in how far people will go with engine mods before they even stop and think about other things like the gear box, clutch and the like.

i mean standard engine mounts might start to fail at anything over or around 400bhp
      stage 2 vxr

[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by andy16vturbo
        i appreciate your opinion and ive got no intention of going over 300 brake as i dont want to fall into the same trap as i did before

but... im interested in how far people will go with engine mods before they even stop and think about other things like the gear box, clutch and the like.

i mean standard engine mounts might start to fail at anything over or around 400bhp
        I wouldnt even dream of going to 400bhp in my VXR, even if i had £10k to do so!.

I reckon 300 is the limit without getting silly with additional re-work.

Comment

i know of 1 which is running 325 but my lip's are sealed :? might go 1 stage further then that will be it for me will do thing's like lowering brakes first tints , colour of wheels , but after that i'm waiting till 2010 and going for the 4wd vxr thats the next car on my list then i will either part ex this 1 in or use it for track who knows , i'm up at courts in a couple of weeks so will have a chat with jon and see what he thinks although have thought about the clutch as i have what i feel is a slipping clutch when giving it some , cheers for the info tho andy
          sigpic
          stealth no more but beware of the silver lightning GSI with vxr power
          M.U.F.C.
          http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/

Comment

when i spoke to mark at courts (ive knew him for a while now since being on the nova scene) he said there car is running fine with 300 brake.

i think the vxr will be fine, even for a lot of miles with stage 3 but with the vxr being new, no one actually knows what the limits are. im thinking 350 brake for the engine (turbo and ecu allowing) and maybe the same for the box, but im thinking maybe alot less for the clutch after what you said worsey.
            stage 2 vxr

[email protected]

Comment

yeh doffo will need a better clutch like you said maybe a race clutch , spoke to jon last night but forgot to mention it :? :?
              sigpic
              stealth no more but beware of the silver lightning GSI with vxr power
              M.U.F.C.
              http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/

Comment

I dont think I will upgrade unless Jon or Tony recommend it. My lb ft is 329!! so I hope it can take it.

Im sure the guys at Courts and VXRPC have checked that the gear box and clutch can take it.

I may go to the next stage, there are a lot of variables this year to my car choice as if everything goes 100% to plan I will be looking at another VXR at the end of the year completly and the Assie will be going.

I will certainly call them and ask them what they say.

Comment

Originally posted by cwvxr
                  Im my opinion anything more than 300bhp in a FWD astra is taking the p*ss really. If you want 300+ buy another car that comes with that as standard!. i.e evo 320 e.t.c

I bought the astra for its standard figures, you will always get used to the power unless you drive a "supercar".

Just my 2 pence worth
                  Hear hear!

Comment

Yeah but the astra has styling compared to other high power cars... also its not in your face.

oh and alot cheaper with more for your money

Comment

Originally posted by worsy
                      ...but after that i'm waiting till 2010 and going for the 4wd VXR thats the next car on my list...

That sounds like a plan! Keep us posted

Comment

Originally posted by andy16vturbo
                        i think the VXR will be fine, even for a lot of miles with stage 3 but with the VXR being new, no one actually knows what the limits are. im thinking 350 brake for the engine (turbo and ecu allowing).
                        i think you will find that the oe VXR turbo is at its absolute limit running 300bhp, once you start pushing past the magic 300 then i would be considering uprated turbo, injectors, cams and gearbox/clutch!

Comment

The M32 gearbox is rated at 320Nm of torque

Comment

m32

Ok some real world info regarding VXR transmissions.

1 Torque is limited in gears 1 and 2, this protects the gears most likely to break or spin on the shafts.

2 There is always a protection built into the transmission above that of the manufacturer, remapped Vxrs will be using some of that margin, but there is no reason to worry unless the driver has no mechanical sympathy.

3 The weak point is the diff, it is tiny compared to other diffs,this is where most damage has been seen, usually caused on the nearside, due to excessive wheelspin because the driveshafts are different lengths.

4 Any Track use (heavy) will see the outer cv joint boot split due to the metal retaining clip melting the boot, only on nearside.

5 Tom Chilton (BTCC driver) broke a diff on a non remapped Astra VXR at Thruxton, but due to large amounts of wheelspin, not excessive torque.

All depends on how you drive it at the end of it, I dont know of any owners who have had issues due to excessive torque, flywheel is first to go , usually given away by poor gear selection.

Nothing is bomb proof, but I dare say unless you are a complete hooligan with the Car, you will have a long lasting M32.

There isnt much else out there suitable for Massive Torque, only boxes able to handle super amounts will be WRC style gearboxes, but I dont think many VXR owners will want to spend 20k+ on a box full of Gogs.

Comment

Not wishing to detract or malign what's already been discussed but a little information can be a dangerous thing. Thankfully though on here we have the likes of davidof to guide us sensibly.

Comment

Working...
                              X