X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• painting chrome

Right my boot stripe is in the paint shop

with the fog light covers to get sprayed but its chrome If you spray it then it will flake off how are they done

Rub down and prime then coat then lacq. or just spray and then lacq

Thanks
    Mods: 300+ Bhp Astra VXR Nurburgring Edition #560
    Stage 3 Courts / LSD / Carbon splitter and Rear Diffuser / Lightened Flywheel / Helix Sports uprated Clutch /1.9 CDTI airbox conversion with tophat conversion / RARB / DAP-RACE Springs / Tarox 340mm 10 POT / + ALOT ALOT more.

as far as i am aware its plastic painted chrome, so yes it will need to be rubbed down, to 'key' the surface so the plastic primer will hold....then coat, laq etc following the standard rules for painting

Comment

The sprayer rubbed it down and said he thought it will come off easy but its hard and something about copper paint is under it or something
      Mods: 300+ Bhp Astra VXR Nurburgring Edition #560
      Stage 3 Courts / LSD / Carbon splitter and Rear Diffuser / Lightened Flywheel / Helix Sports uprated Clutch /1.9 CDTI airbox conversion with tophat conversion / RARB / DAP-RACE Springs / Tarox 340mm 10 POT / + ALOT ALOT more.

Comment

dtox, chrome is normally a nightmare to paint if it chromed metal as the metal sweats. plastic chrome on the other hand is a doddle, just give it a good key with a red scotch pad and the plastic prime it as it has elastic powers in it and the a nice heavy coat of primer, rub the down and them the paint sticks to the primer not the chrome and the primer holds the paint to the chrome/plastic with the plastic primer.

If its a proper bodyshop it will be done properly. dont worry.

What colour are you going for on them?

Comment

Originally posted by dtox View Post
          The sprayer rubbed it down and said he thought it will come off easy but its hard and something about copper paint is under it or something
          Aye when you rub through the chrome you end up with a copper layer, its how the etch it to the plastic, if you were to try and snap it in half you'll find the chrome brakes off and it a thin layer of metal, if he has keyed it right and used a plastic primer it'll be as right a rain mate.

Hes just worning you because it really shouldnt be painted and in a painters eyes he's probibly doubting that it will stay on but it will, dont wash the car with hot hot water and dont jet wash those areas for a few weeks to let it harden as much as it can.

Ive painted alsort, its all in the prep work man.

Comment

easiest way around it is go to lee and buy it off him and get it painted sorted!!!
            Arden Racing Edition

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky_VXR View Post
              easiest way around it is go to lee and buy it off him and get it painted sorted!!!

I am sure lee does what i said to do as i am a painter aswell, its easy dtox's painter just warning him basically if it comes off dont come back. Standard painter get out talk.

Comment

Working...
              X