This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark Plugs

Anyone got the iridum Denso or NGK Fitted, is it worth it ???

thanks in advance.

also a K&n Panel Filter, does this help or is it all in the mind.

Comment

had the plugs changed at my stage 3 and also a panel filter but dont know as didnt try them on a standard car there are a few people on here who have changed and you should get plenty of different views on this
      sigpic
      stealth no more but beware of the silver lightning GSI with vxr power
      M.U.F.C.
      http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/

Comment

No one else has an opinion ???

I cannot believe that...

Comment

Originally posted by itolson

I cannot believe that...
          The plugs will be a benefit since they will allow the timing to be advanced - providing better engine effificency and therefore power/economy. These will also help your engine run smoother and rev more freely.
          Well worth it in my opinion.

A panel filter is a complete waste of time and money. Filtration is worse than a paper filter, you run the risk of screwing your MAF and there is no benefit in sound (unlike induction kits). You are far better off saving your money and replacing the paper one more regularly.

Hope this helps!

Andy

P.S. There will be a number of people will disagree with the comments on panel filters!

Comment

Im one of thoes not agreeing on the panel filter! Dont notice a difference in performance or anything like that granted,but its not going to harm the car in anyway by fitting one! Had a few vauxhalls now from a 1.2 and a 1.8 corsa to the astra at present and have tryed both panel filters and induction kits and have never had a problem with my airflow sensor! Must be lucky i guess! :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by zoomboy
              Im one of thoes not agreeing on the panel filter! Dont notice a difference in performance or anything like that granted,but its not going to harm the car in anyway by fitting one! Had a few vauxhalls now from a 1.2 and a 1.8 corsa to the astra at present and have tryed both panel filters and induction kits and have never had a problem with my airflow sensor! Must be lucky i guess! :wink:
              Not lucky just some air intakes/MAF sensors are more susceptible than others.
              The VX220 was prone to problems with oil from replacement air filters and the steer from VX is that Astra vxr owners are better 'stepping away' from getting oil sitting on the sensor wire :wink:
              sigpic

Comment

so basically stay away from the oil coated / cleaned panel filters....

and the plugs should make a slight difference MAYBE !!...

ok, for £20.00 it maybe worth 4 NGK iridiums.

Comment

Originally posted by VXRNUTTER
                  Originally posted by itolson

I cannot believe that...
                  The plugs will be a benefit since they will allow the timing to be advanced - providing better engine effificency and therefore power/economy. These will also help your engine run smoother and rev more freely.
                  Well worth it in my opinion.

A panel filter is a complete waste of time and money. Filtration is worse than a paper filter, you run the risk of screwing your MAF and there is no benefit in sound (unlike induction kits). You are far better off saving your money and replacing the paper one more regularly.

Hope this helps!

Andy

P.S. There will be a number of people will disagree with the comments on panel filters!
                  totally agree!

iridium plugs will also not melt under extreme heat caused by high boost. there is no chance of the end of one of these melting and destoying a valve and or a piston
                  stage 2 vxr

[email protected]

Comment

well i got the iridium plugs

I got the BKR6EIX and fitted them.....

after about a week i checked there colour and they are still quite white, the old platiniums seems to run a nice sandy colour as you would expect....

I take it they are running too hot......

Can anyone comment on this potential problem.....

thanks

Comment

The plugs should be 'fit and forget' - they have a compression washer to maintain the tightening torque...

Regards the colour - unless they are black I wouldn't worry at this early stage (the previous plugs probably had many miles of use to achieve the colour they were at).

Did you have a concern with how the plugs were working that made you decide to remove them? More impotant than the colour IMO (unless they are black and covered in oil!) is how they improved engine running - response, smoothness, idle, pull from low revs etc etc

Noticed all these (subtle) improvements when I fitted mine.

Andy

Comment

I have been havinf intermittent probs with the performance etc.

I decided to remove to re-gap them to 0.70 as per some this forum.

The Old plugs had only done around 1200 miles.

To be honest I cannot say it they have done anything.

Comment

are they fidly to fit , i take it you have to remove, cross over pipe, cam cover, coil pack and then is it a simple case of unscrew old and screw in new
                          Astra vxr mk2 with stage 1 EDS remap

Comment

if theyre running to hot you may have a fueling issue. under fueling causes increased combustion temps and can lead to melted pistons if running boost (extreme case).

but the vxrs ecu is pretty **** hot at picking up on stuff like this so would have put the engine warning light on.

if your that concerned about it take it into your dealer and get it tech 2'd
                            stage 2 vxr

[email protected]

Comment

There are no error codes listed in the ECU...

It had a new coil pack and plugs fitted about a month ago...

as far as changing them its a 15 min job.

remove the cross over pipe 7mm socket for one side of the maff ,10mm nut at the back, breather hose and 7mm socket for the turbo connector pipe at the front.

then remove the connector from the coil pack, slide the cover to the right in the middle, use a torx bit to remove the 2 coil pack bolts.

remove the coil pack gently, remove and refit plugs....

then refit is the reverse of the above....

I will keep an eye on the ecu codes and check the performance out etc...

I managed to get 4 plugs for £21.00 inc del of fleabay brand new of course....

[/list]

Comment

Working...
                              X