X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the VXR Gearing Rubbish?

Hi folks,

Just lookin' someone elses opinion on the VXR gearing. I consider the VXR engine to be rather torquey, so shouldn't the gearing be a little more spread. I was driving home last night, there are loads of 70's into 40's and vice versa (roadworks). I'm pretty sure 3rd accelerates almost as rapidly from 40 as 2nd does. I thought it would be good to have 1st go up to about 40, 2nd to about 75, and so on. We could retain the 6th gear for cruising only as I would imagine that the gear would be so big as to supply minimal accelerative benefit. If necessary the original map should have had more torque (as most recent S2 maps are torquey beasts).

VXR is an excellent car, but I just think a little more thought into various pieces of it (suspension) would have made it unbeatable.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by JB_VXR; 18 November 2008, 11:12 AM.

Find the gearing to be fine much better than other cars I have owned (Vectra Gsi 2-3rd gear anyone?)

Having also a Z20LET 5 speed car to compare the VXR's gears are closer but I prefer them that way than to have had the F23 box with an overdrive which is what I think you are on about with your cruising gear comment?

Jalfreziagzee has some interesting graphs on gearing laid over the power curve - might be worth you having a look at them?

Astra

Comment

Originally posted by zletsgo View Post
      Find the gearing to be fine much better than other cars I have owned (Vectra Gsi 2-3rd gear anyone?)

Having also a Z20LET 5 speed car to compare the VXR's gears are closer but I prefer them that way than to have had the F23 box with an overdrive which is what I think you are on about with your cruising gear comment?

Jalfreziagzee has some interesting graphs on gearing laid over the power curve - might be worth you having a look at them?

Find the gearing of the M32 box to be pretty good in all honesty. Couple of gears could maybe do with being a little longer but as an over all packaged its really quite good. Try a Vectra ST200 with a revised final drive and youll be singing the praises of the M32 all day long.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveDempsey View Post
        Find the gearing of the M32 box to be pretty good in all honesty. Couple of gears could maybe do with being a little longer but as an over all packaged its really quite good. Try a Vectra ST200 with a revised final drive and youll be singing the praises of the M32 all day long.
        To be fair, I'm inexperienced in the gearbox field, I'm definately not complaining about the quality of the box. When new I found it to be incredibly smooth, best for changing in any I've used (though more recently starting to get a bit clunkier). I was more curious as to how the car would feel with different ratios. Only other 'performance' car I've driven is an RX8 so I don't have much reference.

So to sum up, what you's're saying is.... it isn't rubbish. Question Answered lol

Comment

And the ST200 is much better than the GSI - the Lightened Flywheel helps mask it some more imo as well

Astra

Comment

Lightened flywheel certainly helps bring the revs down a damn sight better than the those without. Biggest problem with the ST;s box is 2nd the car revs out, 3rd the car just dies (was a bit of a pain in the **** at the ring last year as coming up from Adenau it was dieing), it also revs it **** off at 70mph and hits the limiter in 5th at just over 140mph:

An F28 box would transform the car imo.

Comment

Lightened flywheel certainly helps bring the revs down a damn sight better than the those without. Biggest problem with the ST;s box is 2nd the car revs out, 3rd the car just dies (was a bit of a pain in the **** at the ring last year as coming up from Adenau it was dieing), it also revs it **** off at 70mph and hits the limiter in 5th at just over 140mph:

An F28 box would transform the car imo.
              Agree about the f28 - would have made the GSI/ST200 a more enjoyable drive

Astra

Comment

Working...
              X