This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Megane R26 Test Drive

Have been considering the new R26 as I fancied a change, like the styling and have read some good reviews, so booked a test drive.
    To cut a long story short, after I'd had a good drive I offered the dealer a go in my vxr which he was only to happy to accept.
    I gave him the keys and sat myself in the passenger seat of my own car and left it to him to see the difference between the vxr and his R26
    We both agreed that the vxr is far far more enjoyable to drive, it feels much faster, handles extremely well and for day to day driving is by far the better of the two.
    The R26 was just so disappointing, when you put your foot down in second or third gear, nothing happens! No feeling of acceleration, no torque, no power and absolutely no fun.
    The Renault dealer has been driving 225's for years and agreed with me that i would be mad to change cars and that he would be very interested in buying a vxr.
    The vxr is in a different league to the R26 and Im just glad I got to test one before I made any rash decisions.
    Martin

good idea to test drive it, and wise choice

Comment

and i have seen you over mate on meg sport getting the low down
      i like it from the outside but the dash is a total let down, we have a 55 plate meg td and its bad, glad to hear your thoughts though, just a shame the evo shoot out had all the old in gear and acceleration times & stats on the VXR from the pre prod tested mid 05 and not a true match against the R26 other than the lap times.

welcome back

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie
        and i have seen you over mate on meg sport getting the low down
        i like it from the outside but the dash is a total let down, we have a 55 plate meg td and its bad, glad to hear your thoughts though, just a shame the evo shoot out had all the old in gear and acceleration times & stats on the VXR from the pre prod tested mid 05 and not a true match against the R26 other than the lap times.

welcome back
        Yep that's right Aus' saw your post over there, your usual well put, constructive entry.
        I liked the styling but the interior was poor, felt too high up in the seat, like I was driving a small mpv and the gear stick was a good stretch away just no sportiness at all.
        Just waiting for the usual sarcastic, slagging of the vxr replies which I've tried to keep away from.
        They may not like a lot of things about the Astra or the vxr, but without a shadow of doubt the astra vxr is in a different class performance wise to the Meg 225.

Comment

i wasnt a big fan of the 225 when i drove one, especially that steering,

our meg td leaves us in about 2 weeks
          and i cant wait to see the rear end leave our garage for the last time

Comment

Must admit, i just don't like them. I think they are ugly

Comment

I think they're an acquire taste, you either like em or don't. Not a big fan myself but can see why some would like it. Thanks to Puzzler for his view after the TD, answers all my questions really :wink:

Comment

I like the look of them, would be intrested to drive one now that it has a LSD but I doubt a salesman would be willing to let me have what I would call a proper drive in it to test that LSD out.
                I have a difference of opinion to you.

Comment

One of the last things the dealer said to me when we got back to the showroom was, if I'd never driving the vxr before, I'd think like most be people do, that the R26 is a great car. But having owned the Astra he agreed that the R26 would be a step back.
                  Says it all.

He said for a track car it was close but he'd take the R26, but for day to day fun and enjoyment he'd have the vxr.

Comment

I think at the end of the day if its french give it a body swerve!The Renault is not a bad looking car from the outside but then its no where near as pretty as the Astra is it? :P

Comment

Should be interesting in Autocar next week, it says in todays edition that they have the ultimate Hot Hatch shoot out, pretty much everyone from what I could see. I'm guessing from their test of the R26 it could win.

Comment

Working...
                      X