This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyres - Word of Warning

Very nearly wrote off myself and my VXR at the weekend.

Was doing about 80 on the M25 in light rain, hit a patch of water when it tends to run from one side of the road to the other. Before I knew it I was swerving across all three lanes of the motorway, fully crossed up on the wheel, ESP hammeriing away, nearly sideswiped a caravan and a lorry, very lucky boy. Just managed to get it under control.

The cause - the back end aquaplaned and despite going in a near straight line it came around straight away. ESP saved me for definate.

Convinced the reason this happened was because i swapped my rear tyres for the fronts, Had 3mm on the fronts and 7 on the rear and loads of understeer so swapped them around (I know this isn't recommended but have done it on previous cars to squeeze out a few more miles). Not a problem in the dry, but in the wet i'm amazed by the difference.

Thinking about it though, the VXR isn;t that heavy and with garden roller tyres on it i imagine the contact pressure on the back is pretty small, also the standard conti's don't have a great deal of rain grooves.

Lesson learned - don't swap back to front unless you want brown trousers

Has anyone else had any "moments" due to this?

Yep had a simillar "moment" with the standard conti's , lets just say a mixture of damp roads and a roundabout lead to me getting rid of the conti's with about 4-5mm left on the fronts.

Now running on toyo proxies (t1-s) and there is a fair difference in both wet and dry grip. Not sure what the difference is between t1s and t1r but mines deffinately have a softer compound than the standard conti's.

Tyre life may not be as good but if it keeps my car on the road then im happy.

Comment

No

But I did see on a motorprogramme that under 3.6mm the safety of the tyre in the wet is seriously decreased.

Comment

I dont bother swappign em round, just means you have to buy 4 tyres at once then, rather than 2 :wink:

My fronts are about 3.5mm max, and im thinking of just buying two more to replace them.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Pininfarina22
          Glad to read u and urs are all ok after
          Not the kind of adrenalin rush anyone needs

Comment

Originally posted by Scotty VXR
            Now running on toyo proxies (t1-s) and there is a fair difference in both wet and dry grip. Not sure what the difference is between t1s and t1r but mines deffinately have a softer compound than the standard conti's.
            I also have toyo proxies on my car. Had them since August last year and have swapped the fronts to the back. I've not had any problems in the wet and I agree with Scotty, they are much better. I believe that directional tyres are better in the wet though? (Someone correct me if I'm talking rubbish again! )

Comment

As you've found out, always put good tyres on the back, the reason is a fwd car will oversteer - harder to control. If you've got tyres with low tread put em on the front, understeer is far more predictable and controllable.

Glad you came out of it unscathed!

Comment

Doesn't help that the tyres on the VXR are quite wide, the wider the tyre the more chance of aquaplaning, added to your low tread depth it ends up in a dangerous combination.

Waiting for my Conties to wear down a bit more (only covered 4500 miles) then fitting the usual Toyo's that I always buy, will only last around 12 months but well worth it.

Comment

It may sound daft to some but you need good tread on the rear more than the front! the rear has no steering so relies purley on the grip of the tyre! If the front does not steer correctly you at least have the option to correct it! I personaly never swap my tyres about!

Comment

Working...
                  X