This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo down-pipe (pre-cat replacement)

How does the replacement downpipe attach at the turbo end? It's obviously got a flange on the other end with 3 threads, but I'm stuggling to tell from the pictures I've seen how the other end attaches?

Also, is this a relatively easy DIY fit i.e. simple bolt on or is there more to it?

Andy

Regal did mine in about 20mins so it cant be that hard.
    sigpic

Comment

It's a 'mushroom' clamp ... tightened by one torx head screw.

Easy enough DIY fitment.
      Remove sensor, unbolt bottom 3 bolts, undo clamp, remove.
      Add sealer to both upper faces (firegum or similar exhaust paste)
      Hold in place, put mushroom clamp round...do up nut.
      (Top Tip...tuen the clamp round from original position to make it easier on yourself.)
      Have 3 nut and bolts ready to bolt precat to exhaust end.

The cars are new enough not to need a new gasket.
      tuner talk: "Just get out and drive the damn things !!!"
      The truth is out there ...

Comment

When fitting you might need to give the clamp a chap with something as it will be tight on with the heat. I personaly did not use exhaust sealant as the standard cat does not use any. If its a decent enough replacemant it should not need sealant anyway. :P

Comment

Does fitting the replacement downpipe remove the characteristic 'jet' sound of the standrad VXR exhaust - I really like this and don't want to lose it!

Andy

Comment

On my car anyway the jet sound is there even more now! Including the odd bang from the exhaust which wont seem that loud but from outside i am assured is!

Comment

Zoomboy - which make of pipe did you buy?

Andy

Comment

I bought c/s own pipe. I asked them about the Milltek option also but they said there was no diff except the price. Cost me £190 delivered to my house!

Comment

what bhp difference are they???

Comment

Astra vxr mk2 with stage 1 EDS remap

Comment

worth doing
                      then with a remap aswell

Comment

Originally posted by M40COO
                        It's a 'mushroom' clamp ... tightened by one torx head screw.

Easy enough DIY fitment.
                        Remove sensor, unbolt bottom 3 bolts, undo clamp, remove.
                        Add sealer to both upper faces (firegum or similar exhaust paste)
                        Hold in place, put mushroom clamp round...do up nut.
                        (Top Tip...tuen the clamp round from original position to make it easier on yourself.)
                        Have 3 nut and bolts ready to bolt precat to exhaust end.

The cars are new enough not to need a new gasket.
                        What size is the Torx screw on the Mushroom clamp?

Andy

Comment

An 8mm ring spanner will fit or an 8mm multipoint socket. The quote of 10bhp i would take with a pinch of salt usualy but the car realy does feel much pokier! So maybe 10bhp is not such a claim!

Comment

Originally posted by corsasrisilver
                            You wouldn't get 10.

Around 6-8

I have the pre-cat replaced plus a remap.

On the RR I got 273bhp with map but I'm confident I would have got more if I was the first car on the rollers.
                            sigpic

Comment

Just Done Mine Zaf VXR..

The Torx Bolt Clamp was a bit of a git when laying on the floor, it did seem a little corroded, wd 40 helped it but it took quite a while to get it loose enough in a confined space....

If you are going to do it let it cool for around 1.5 hours otherwise get a peice of cardboard and put it in front of the front cat as its bloody hot....

That was the worst bit, if you do it yourself then get the clam on the turbo first then push the replacement pipe in at a slight angle engaging ibe side of the clamp, then push it try and get the rest of the clamp over the mating surfaces.

it was quite an easy job but fiddly on the clamp...

I did not use any gum or exhaust paste either.

the one gasket on the exhaust is metal and is still in fine shape....

as far as difference goes, you get a little more punch, it sounds a bit throaty, and you get a very occasional pop sound....

all in all I think its worth it as long as you are going to get a remap sorted....

if not i cannot see much point....

Comment

Working...
                              X