X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool stat

http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/inde...d&productId=30

Any benefit it fitting one of these, will it make the engine run cooler?
    Thanks..

I've got one Dean and I run 77 degrees cruising...before I was running around 89... keeps the coolant a lot cooler mate..

Comment

Also very poor car heat in the winter!! I would only use one again if I decided to take up a lot of track days. In normal driving the car neveer quite reaches proper operating temp.
      Arden Blue astra VXR, Stage 3 Courtenay Sport map, Courtenay Full CDTI direct intake, Courtenay intercooler, Piper 3in exhaust, quaife LSD, sachs uprated clutch, uprated 6th gear bearings, KW variant 3 suspension, TD Pro race 1.2 wheels, braided ss brake lines, check control, Insignia WJ, Parrott Bluetooth

Comment

These are great, my car runs between 75 - 80 when crusing

Comment

Originally posted by Peth View Post
          Also very poor car heat in the winter!! I would only use one again if I decided to take up a lot of track days. In normal driving the car neveer quite reaches proper operating temp.

i've got one in both my cars and the heater is still fine.it'a another mod worth doing imo
          for all your VXR tuning needs phone courtenays on 01692 404313 or vist www.courtenaysport.co.uk

Comment

Used to sell the std VX item out of Australian Calibra Turbos....great for the Tanami desert but....
            sigpic

Comment

I find that the heater warms up quicker
              Mods: 300+ Bhp Astra VXR Nurburgring Edition #560
              Stage 3 Courts / LSD / Carbon splitter and Rear Diffuser / Lightened Flywheel / Helix Sports uprated Clutch /1.9 CDTI airbox conversion with tophat conversion / RARB / DAP-RACE Springs / Tarox 340mm 10 POT / + ALOT ALOT more.

Comment

Originally posted by VXRDean View Post
                http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/inde...d&productId=30

Any benefit it fitting one of these, will it make the engine run cooler?
                Thanks..

PM Percy - am sure we talked about this at the last meet

Astra

Comment

Heres a good reply from Jon at Courtenay on this subject

A bit late in replying to this I know but Ive been away in Germany, with Stephan working on the Corsa VXR.

However some good points made before in all got silly again Heres why we generally use them...

The standard thermostat starts to open at 92 and is fully open at 107 so the engine runs in this range typically an Astra VXR can maintain 92-93 degrees on cruise and on a small amount of hard driving.

The coolstat starts to open at 82 and is fully open at 97. Astra VXR's will normally run with them at about 85-86 as the air flow is not as good through the radiators and engine bay to hold, down at 82degrees.

Some cars with very good flow though the front end i.e. Astra G Turbo's will run at 82 degrees, and show cool on the temp gauge however 82 is a long way off the cold start maps which blend out from 50 degrees so you will not damage your engine at 82 degrees from cold start enrichment. It is true though at if the car can maintain 80-82 then in winter your heater efficiency will be reduced. Though not many these days can do this with the compact front end and bumper design.

So why use one ?

We would use a cool state if you drive very hard, have higher levels off tune and perhaps a larger intercooler that obscures more of the OE water radiator or if you do allot of track work . In these situations on an Astra VXR as said earlier the run temp is about 85-86 you will have about 7 degrees in hand as the temps start to climb therefore you will maintain your power for longer , as when the engine temps get toward 100 and over the ECU will start to add fuel then reduce the timing for protection which in turn reduces the power.

Do you need one ? when driving your car hard, on road or track have your engine temp up on your multi info display and see if you are pushing hard enough to get these high water temps.

Some of our customers who use their car hard on track during thejust use one for the hotter months i.e. April - September as it really is not much of a job or chore to change it on this engine varient.

Bottom line some people will need it, some people wont depends on the leval of tune or the type of use or user.

----------------------------------

As a side note, we were doing some joint test work on one of Vauxhall's /888 Corsa VXRs a few weeks back,and the car ran at 95-96 degrees on cruise. After a short burst (full throttle 1st through to 4th ) it climbed to 98-99 and this was a standard car

Modified, again full throttle 1st through to 4th he engine climbed quicker still, though no higher .

The car did run slightly cooler with the air-con turned on as the fans came into operation earlier in this instance we saw the car climb to 96-97.
                  I thought this car may of had a sticky thermostat as the standard unit is rated at 92 opening.
                  However whist driving my own Corsa VXR over to Germany recently, I saw in the UK with an ambient of 13.5 it cruised at 95 !
                  In Germany later that day the ambient was 22.5 and it was cruising at 96-97
                  We will defiantly be trying a cool stat in this engine as it does fit in the housing. However I think it may take a bit more i.e. some aero changes or perhaps a bigger radiator down the line :?

Now before anyone panics don’t worry your cars will all be fine. The engine has protection for high temps both in the ignition fuel & boost maps, and has been thoroughly durabilty tested. its just that for sustained power once these cars have been tuned we feel we will possibly need to look at the cooling side as well.
                  We will also compare notes with Voulalas Opel our dealer in Greece to see what they are seeing temp wise and if there are any changes to the spec over thier.

All in all a stunning not so little car that we are pleased to own.
                  Last edited by Peth; 1 December 2008, 04:19 PM. Reason: typo
                  Arden Blue astra VXR, Stage 3 Courtenay Sport map, Courtenay Full CDTI direct intake, Courtenay intercooler, Piper 3in exhaust, quaife LSD, sachs uprated clutch, uprated 6th gear bearings, KW variant 3 suspension, TD Pro race 1.2 wheels, braided ss brake lines, check control, Insignia WJ, Parrott Bluetooth

Comment

save your money dean,just get the bigger rad,its much better at keeping the temps down and more steady mate.

As a side note, we were doing some joint test work on one of Vauxhall's /888 Corsa VXRs a few weeks back,and the car ran at 95-96 degrees on cruise. After a short burst (full throttle 1st through to 4th ) it climbed to 98-99 and this was a standard car

Modified, again full throttle 1st through to 4th he engine climbed quicker still, though no higher .

The car did run slightly cooler with the air-con turned on as the fans came into operation earlier in this instance we saw the car climb to 96-97.
                    I thought this car may of had a sticky thermostat as the standard unit is rated at 92 opening.
                    However whist driving my own Corsa VXR over to Germany recently, I saw in the UK with an ambient of 13.5 it cruised at 95 !
                    In Germany later that day the ambient was 22.5 and it was cruising at 96-97
                    We will defiantly be trying a cool stat in this engine as it does fit in the housing. However I think it may take a bit more i.e. some aero changes or perhaps a bigger radiator down the line :?

Now before anyone panics don’t worry your cars will all be fine. The engine has protection for high temps both in the ignition fuel & boost maps, and has been thoroughly durabilty tested. its just that for sustained power once these cars have been tuned we feel we will possibly need to look at the cooling side as well.
                    We will also compare notes with Voulalas Opel our dealer in Greece to see what they are seeing temp wise and if there are any changes to the spec over thier.

All in all a stunning not so little car that we are pleased to own.
                    i'm sure jon will be well aware of the electronic thermostat the these engines use to keep the temps up high like he's finding.
                    ...superior horsepower through knowledge,good design and maximum efficiency
                    version 1.0 a low boost 347bhp
                    version 2.0 a stock boost 356bhp.
                    coming next......280bhp of finest signum V6 derv power!.

Comment

Originally posted by PERCY'S vxr View Post
                      save your money dean,just get the bigger rad,its much better at keeping the temps down and more steady mate.

i'm sure jon will be well aware of the electronic thermostat the these engines use to keep the temps up high like he's finding.

i have been told by 2 people that are in the know there is NOT a electronic thermostat fitted to the corsa vxr other models maybe but the not the vxr
                      for all your VXR tuning needs phone courtenays on 01692 404313 or vist www.courtenaysport.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by timmee View Post
                        i have been told by 2 people that are in the know there is NOT a electronic thermostat fitted to the corsa vxr other models maybe but the not the vxr
                        Percy is talking about the Astra (Z20 LEH) mate! Don't know if it makes any difference..

Comment

Originally posted by vxrben View Post
                          Percy is talking about the Astra (Z20 LEH) mate! Don't know if it makes any difference..
                          nope he was talking about the corsa vxr which is want jon was talking about in the quote percy used

Comment

Originally posted by timmee View Post
                            nope he was talking about the corsa vxr which is want jon was talking about in the quote percy used
                            I think there's been a mix up between the two..

Comment

buy a uprated alloy Rad my engine temperature a lot more stable
                              with that fitted
                              the truth is out there
                              part GSI part VXR
                              tyre shreding tarmac terrorist

Comment

Working...
                              X