This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• colour coding cross over pipe

ok peeps i have decided to colour code my cross over pipe as in my opinion with all the hoses now it needs doing to finish it off. ok i have blue samco and courtenay hoses, the blue is pretty much an exact match but since the courtenay hoses are joined to the cross over pipe, i will be doing it in the courtenay blue colour as opposed to the samco blue.

ok so,

1) where can i source the blue paint to match courts hoses, as courts say they dont know the paint code. do i take it to a place that makes up paint, any suggestions where in sw

2) should i get it done proff or do it myself, never done paintin before, i assume you laquer first, then give say 2-3 coats of paint.

3) how much would one think it would be to get it done proffesionally

cheers considering top hat too
    Astra vxr mk2 with stage 1 EDS remap

You would be best trying to get it powder coated if you can. It would only cost in the region of £20-£30 for this. To paint it and get a good finish could be difficult! If its the route you are taking though, clean the old paint of the pipe first so it is back to bare metal. Make sure the pipe is clean and then apply a coat or two of primer. (gives the paint somthing to grip!) Once the primer is dry apply a thin coat of the paint you are using, let it dry and apply another coat. Keep doing this so there are three or four layers of paint on and once dry lightly rub smooth with fine wet and dry paper. Once you have done this and the pipe is painted, dry and clean apply a few thin layers of laquer. Job done!

P.S I am not a painter by any means and am only trying to share the limited knowlage i have!

Comment

where can i get powder coating done then

Comment

just found a place ten mins up the road who powder coats, yey emailed and waiting response, hoping to have the top hat, rocker cover and cross over pipe all done blue

Comment

The picture was from my old Mk IV SRi Turbo (ZLET), have not done the same to the VXR yet (although I do have a set of blue VXRacing hoses on at the mo)

[img=http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/4268/p2200005qe7.th.jpg]

All things blue were purchased from Regal Autosport (crossover and throtle housing are on exchange basis.

Comment

how much did it cost you for coding the top hat and cross over pipe im waiting for a quote

Comment

Originally posted by corsasrisilver
              how much did it cost you for coding the top hat and cross over pipe im waiting for a quote
              T'was a few years back mate but I think the items came to 95 notes, they are exchange items, you drives your car down (check availability first though) and they change them over there and then, Regals keep your black ones and your left with nice blue ones. Give 'em a bell to check on prices and availability .

Comment

yeah but do they pre paint them up before you go down or do they do it on the day mate so you gave em bout 95 notes and they put in blue ones and kept your black ones

Comment

my local powder coaters can match the samco colour.

tbh id just paint it with tins as its textured anyway so wont look all bad.

im doing mine with tins.

you cant get your rocker cover powder coated as its plastic, powder coating uses an electric charge to attract the coating to the surface so obviously you can only powder coat metal.

ive just seen a mates engine bay on his astra coupe and he stripped the paint off and polished the alloy himself. looked pretty cool but was time consuming.
                  stage 2 vxr

[email protected]

Comment

tell me if im incorrect but isnt the standard crossover pipe painted in heat reflective type paint. just wondering if stripping/painting would affect heat soak etc...??? could it also be a possible way for vauxhall to get out of an engine related warranty claim ?

Comment

Originally posted by corsasrisilver
                      yeah but do they pre paint them up before you go down or do they do it on the day mate so you gave em bout 95 notes and they put in blue ones and kept your black ones
                      All ready pre-painted thats why I say check with them first to make sure they got a set in. Give Big Chris or Karen a call they will set you straight (say tall Adam sent you :wink

Comment

Originally posted by James
                        tell me if im incorrect but isnt the standard crossover pipe painted in heat reflective type paint. just wondering if stripping/painting would affect heat soak etc...??? could it also be a possible way for vauxhall to get out of an engine related warranty claim ?
                        I'd phone the dealership you bought the car from just to be sure, I know I did when I bought my Mk IV SRi T a few years back, just tell'em it's a cosmetic enhancement and nothing power related at all, and they should be fine mine were ok about it (Platinum, Frome).

Comment

emailed them so will prob hear back tomoro i guess,

Comment

Another option to consider would be to have it chromed!?

Promotasport can do it for you - You basically send them your crossover pipe, and they send you a beautifully chromed one back, they can also do the intake plenum.

OR

I did mine myself on my old SRI turbo, it took a while, but looked good, basically you just have to grind all the textured paint off, then get to work on it with a polishing kit.
                            sigpic
                            My VXR from Start to Finish

Gone but not forgotten - one of the original crew

Comment

ok got email back just now from place that can powder coat, says cost to do throttle housing and cross over pipe would be in region of £35.00. he has two blue colours in stock those being RAL5003 AND RAL6027. does anyone know if these colours are close to the samco blue or courtenay blue? as if they are not will be a problem as they have to purchase paint in 25kg batches and its 5.80 per kg meaning to order in another blue colour would be about 145 quid.

Comment

Working...
                              X