This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drilled air boxes

hi all, just wondering if anyone has done this to the vxr? i did this to my vr6 when i fitted a k&n panel filter (made it sound like a beast sounds like you have an induction kit) and also helped with better air flow. I was thinking of doing the same to the vxr,
    was going to drill some holes on the far side of the airbox away from the engine heat when i fit my new courts filter, do you think its worth a try?
    VXR gone Audi A6 Avant - Le Mans in
    http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/ PROUD TO BE A RUDE YORKSHIRE IDIOT SINCE 1981!

let me no how you get on......and wait for the heat soak coments
    WARNING all replys are incorrect as usual

Comment

yeah i know but if its on the off side i would have thought the heat soak would be small if at all, its done alot in the vw scene but i havent seen anyone on here mention it
      http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/ PROUD TO BE A RUDE YORKSHIRE IDIOT SINCE 1981!

Comment

iv drilled loads never thought to do it on the astra

Comment

might be worth a try, i will post some picks up when/if i do it need to have a good look at the box when the filter arrives, they sound so much better when drilled too dont you think?

Comment

Er tbh i wouldnt ever do it to a turbod car. Wouldnt risk anything passing the filter element. Does K&N do a cheap 57i kit?

Comment

most series 1 rs and 2s drill the air box i remember pipercross doin a upgrade that was a pannel filter and air box with no bottom

Comment

my m8 done it 2 his 1.0 12v corsa his air box got fall of **** by the end didnt make much different but it was a 1.0 12v if that helps?

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                  Er tbh i wouldnt ever do it to a turbod car. Wouldnt risk anything passing the filter element. Does K&N do a cheap 57i kit?
                  lol no i dont mean drill the top of the box, you drill the holes below the filter element so there is no chance of stuff getting in the engine but you can get better air flow and it should be much much better at beating the 'heat' soak because you still have most of the oe housing to keep it away
                  Last edited by Rob1981; 8 December 2008, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RobToogood View Post
                    lol no i dont mean drill the top of the box, you drill the holes below the filter element so there is no chance of stuff getting in the engine but you can get better air flow and it should be much much better at beating the 'heat' soak because you still have most of the oe housing to keep it away
                    Seen it done on the old GTE - worked a treat and made it sound meaty, am sure one of the tuners used to sell a "modified airbox" which basically was the same

Astra

Comment

Keep us updated if u decide to try it...
                      Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

Comment

save your money and buy a another system
                        Dont drill on a turbo car It will mess up as you got sensors and everything

I love how people use there 1 liters and 1.2s modding them try to catch vxrs and things lol
                        Mods: 300+ Bhp Astra VXR Nurburgring Edition #560
                        Stage 3 Courts / LSD / Carbon splitter and Rear Diffuser / Lightened Flywheel / Helix Sports uprated Clutch /1.9 CDTI airbox conversion with tophat conversion / RARB / DAP-RACE Springs / Tarox 340mm 10 POT / + ALOT ALOT more.

Comment

Originally posted by dtox View Post
                          save your money and buy a another system
                          Dont drill on a turbo car It will mess up as you got sensors and everything

I love how people use there 1 liters and 1.2s modding them try to catch vxrs and things lol

unless he is going to buy a drill, he wouldnt be spendin money bud.... unless he did buy a new system which defeats the point..

Comment

theres nothing wrong in drilling under the filter...on some cars it makes them sound like a induction kit is fitted without all the heat soak

Comment

not sure how it would affect the sensors bud, all it does is let more air into the lower air box

also the last car i did it on was a 2.8 VR6 - no 1.2's for me lol

Comment

Working...
                              X