X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daft Question...(about tyres)

Hi all,

I'm just about to get some new front tyres for the astra.

Does it matter if you have different makes on the front to the back?

Somebody told me it can do but I wouldn't have thought it would make any difference.

Thanks

Matt

Back/Front mismatch = OK

Left/Right mismatch = Not a good idea

Comment

left right not good at all I had a cheap on my 1.6 and a good make and almost spun about 10 times

front back is ok nothing wrong in that at all
      Mods: 300+ Bhp Astra VXR Nurburgring Edition #560
      Stage 3 Courts / LSD / Carbon splitter and Rear Diffuser / Lightened Flywheel / Helix Sports uprated Clutch /1.9 CDTI airbox conversion with tophat conversion / RARB / DAP-RACE Springs / Tarox 340mm 10 POT / + ALOT ALOT more.

Comment

Originally posted by dtox View Post
        left right not good at all I had a cheap on my 1.6 and a good make and almost spun about 10 times

front back is ok nothing wrong in that at all

Unless back is radial and you get crossply or vice versa but I dont think this is an issue these days as much as it was back in the 70's lol. I just remember my dad mentioning this when I was younger.

Astra VXR SMD Conversion, a couple of window stickers, front VXR badge and someone stole my rear VX badge!!! TOTALLY PIMPED OUT

Comment

Unless back is radial and you get crossply or vice versa but I dont think this is an issue these days as much as it was back in the 70's lol. I just remember my dad mentioning this when I was younger.
          this still sticks. tread pattern must match... otherwise hope you like rallying... had a drama last year with one of my mates out here and mismatched patterns
          #ImKindOfABigThingAroundHere
          #IHaveManyLeatherBoundBooks

Comment

if you have assemtricals and directional tyres it makes a difference. But if you do then directionals go on the front and assemetiricals on the rear is the way to run them. Otherwise the things the comments above are all to be followed.

Comment

Originally posted by havoc856 View Post
              this still sticks. tread pattern must match... otherwise hope you like rallying... had a drama last year with one of my mates out here and mismatched patterns
              Are the contis that come as standard on the astra crossplay or radial then?

Matt

Comment

When I bought my Zaf , which came from Central stock it had a Wannli tyre on the front , and the conti on the other side, the wannli is a Toyo type tread pattern so completely different than the conti, I have ad a few calls & emails but they claim it is acceptable practice. Is it dodgy, I don`t even like having different front to back . Would it be better to put the wanli on the back ?? I was thinking to replace it when the conti goes, which will be about 3 months I reckon ..

Comment

IMO they should all be the same, as even different paired axles can give some interesting handling characteristics.

Remember.......... the golden rule of tyres, even though they are badged as the same size, their widths, profiles and rolling circumferences will all be different. Hence generating different axle speeds between the front and rear or all corners (if anybody is daft enough to run four different makes of tyre).

Comment

Working...
                  X