Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long will the standard brakes last?

Well as the title suggests. Does anyone know how long the standard brake pads (and discs) are likely to last on this car baring in mind I have a stage 1?

I've done just over 25k miles so I'm wondering whether I should just save for APs instead of getting new pads and goto stage 2 later in the year or goto stage 2 and then get the APs later in the year assuming the pads will last! (I'll have about 35k on by then!)

I try not to be too hard on the brakes though and use the engine to slow the car up. The gearbox can cope with this "slowing" up of the car can't it particulary when down changing quickly!!

:? :?

i have been wondering the same thing..... anyone know ????

Comment

Im surprised that you still have brake pads left ian, after the way your getting through tyres! :P
      sigpic

Comment

ian

where have you been havent seen you around lately??????

thought you had sold the vxr or vanished off the surface of the planet

oh the way you drive i would of thought your brakes would og been gone a long time ago!!!

all the best

wayer

www.primeshine.co.uk

Detailing and Valeting Southwest

Comment

Originally posted by wayner
          ian

thought you had sold the VXR or vanished off the surface of the planet

oh the way you drive i would of thought your brakes would og been gone a long time ago!!!

all the best

wayer

LOL, Ian, everyone knows you too well :P:P xxx

Comment

Originally posted by Davey_lad
            Im surprised that you still have brake pads left ian, after the way your getting through tyres! :P
            Oi, shush you!

ian

all the best

wayer
            Hi Wayne. Sorry did I not PM you on SRi? I probably did miss a few people out. I left SRi anyway, that's all I'll say. I'll be at the VXR BTCC meets though.

Originally posted by LouiseVXR
            Well I don't understand. There is nothing wrong with my driving. The roads in the South West are pretty bad (a few of from this area agreed this was the case because of the tyre wear!). I do like to use the grip on the twisty B roads in the summer too!

Anyway...brakes?!! Any idea anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by IanVXR
              Originally posted by Davey_lad
              Oi, shush you!

ian

all the best

wayer
              Hi Wayne. Sorry did I not PM you on SRi? I probably did miss a few people out. I left SRi anyway, that's all I'll say. I'll be at the VXR BTCC meets though.

Originally posted by LouiseVXR
              Well I don't understand. There is nothing wrong with my driving. The roads in the South West are pretty bad (a few of from this area agreed this was the case because of the tyre wear!). I do like to use the grip on the twisty B roads in the summer too!

Anyway...brakes?!! Any idea anyone?
              Hi Ian ... If you intend to go up the tuning stages you would be best saving for the APs. If you want to run close to 300 bhp and actually use all of it, which you will! lol, you need the equivalent braking system to be safe. Not sexy and very expensive but the best for you and yours.
              If you look at cars with 300 out the box you will see they have a much better brake set-up for good reason :wink:
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKVXR
                Hi Ian ... If you intend to go up the tuning stages you would be best saving for the APs. If you want to run close to 300 bhp and actually use all of it, which you will! lol, you need the equivalent braking system to be safe. Not sexy and very expensive but the best for you and yours.
                If you look at cars with 300 out the box you will see they have a much better brake set-up for good reason :wink:
                Hi Mark, thanks for the reply although I think you might have mis-read the original post!

I do want to get the APs, no question. I saw how they performed on track in VXR PCs sprint-x car and I also saw how the Alcons in the 888 performed too.

What I was wondering is how long the standard brakes/discs are likely to last as I have now done just over 25k now. I'd rather get the APs than another set of pads and I was planning on going to stage 2 soon but I was thinking, if the pads are coming to the end of their life maybe I should wait and get the APs rather than go to stage 2.

Comment

Originally posted by IanVXR
                  Hi Mark, thanks for the reply although I think you might have mis-read the original post!

I do want to get the APs, no question. I saw how they performed on track in VXR PCs sprint-x car and I also saw how the Alcons in the 888 performed too.

What I was wondering is how long the standard brakes/discs are likely to last as I have now done just over 25k now. I'd rather get the APs than another set of pads and I was planning on going to stage 2 soon but I was thinking, if the pads are coming to the end of their life maybe I should wait and get the APs rather than go to stage 2.

I did misread...its friday :wink:

Mmmm.How about if you get the AP's now (the less exciting bit) be all set-up to go straight to a stage3 a bit later (or quite a bit later!) .... I would have thought you could get a better deal going straight to 3 anyway?
                  sigpic

Comment

Mmmm.How about if you get the AP's now (the less exciting bit) be all set-up to go straight to a stage3 a bit later (or quite a bit later!) .... I would have thought you could get a better deal going straight to 3 anyway?
                    Yeah could do but too impatient to wait!!

This is also my first time modding a car so I think I would like to do things in stages so I can apprecicate what each mod does for the car.

I was thinking of exhaust first anyway because I've been waiting ages to be able to afford that! Then APs and then up to stage 3 and lowering and maybe RARB. That's as far as I'd go though (I think!)

Just not sure if the current brake pads will last until I get the APs which will hopefully be at the end of the year!

Comment

Has anyone got any experience of just fitting braided hoses and leaving the rest of the brakes standard, I found on my old car that the hoses alone makes a big difference to feel.

I find the anchors on the astra pretty good if you lean on them, its just the feel through the pedal thats rubbish. comments?

Comment

the vxr brakes are fine , when im out playing im usually fairly heavy on the brakes and mine dont appear to be wearing that much :wink:

Comment

IMO Ian the standard brake system is good for up to about 280 Bhp/ Stage 2 tune, anything more than that and I'd be considering better/uprated brakes with stainless flexi's all round.
                          You can uprate the stopping power of the standard brakes by fitting a better friction pad, EBC Yellow Stuff is about the best stopping power you could expect from your standard brakes

Comment

Not sure how long these are going to last but Im just on 18k miles now and I have approx 60% pads remaining. I toured europe last year and braked lots from late 150's to around 70-80mph and never had any issues with fade or performance drop. Around the alpine roads heavy braking on steep hills with 180deg switch backs coming at ye and again no problem.

I am hard on brakes and very very last minute yet as stated above 18k and not even half used!

Looking at going for stage 2, already have the full milltek and considering the Pagid upgrade but at £150 Im not sure its worth the change. Anyone confirm?

Comment

Welll....to answer my own post!

It would appear I'll probably get about 33-35k out of 'em. The pads are currently about 75% worn and I have almost done 28k. I'm not that heavy on the brakes if I can help it.

Looks like I need to save up for the APs and start saving for stage 2/3 and suspension/RARB...then I'm done!!

Comment

Working...
                              X