This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just test drove the Type R

For anyone that is interested I just drove the new Type R, number 72 to be precise.

It was a 45 minute drive and I got to cover all aspects of the car.

The bottom line is this: I was expecting it to be very quick, and only a little slower than the VXR. I was wrong. It is really quite cumbersome, lazy, hazy and sloppy. Torque steer? Nothing, the wheel does not move an inch no matter how hard you accelerate. There is LOADS of noise after 5k revs, and not much go at all. It feels like a REALLY HEAVY 2.5 V6. The most power comes between 6 - 8k revs where it max's out. The power felt here is equivalent to 2.5-3.5k revs in the Astra.

If anyone has specific questions then post on here and I will reply. I am shocked at how uninspiring the car was, happy it's not a patch on ours, and also very confused at what the media are so excited about?

MOST EXCITING PART : The dealer kept saying "It sounds like a muffled touring car doesn't it, doesn't it (nudge nudge wink wink)" I thought "No it sounds like an engine being thrashed".

MOST BORING PART : Changing from 6th to 4th at 70mph and flooring it on the A3. NuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggghhhhhhhGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH and eventully we hit 85. WOW!

What sort of miles did it have on it ?? Could just be tight, but never going to feel anything like as torquey as a turbo car.
    Insignia VXR, quite nippy!

Comment

Mate of mine has one, I think it's very poor considering the previous versions he's had, don't like it at all, it does not remotely demonstate it's peedigree as a touring car.

Comment

It had 400 miles on ran on VPower. It was just so slow. I drove the old one which was together, torte, nippy and fast. In the old one the wheel did grab left and right and you did have to really concentrate to drive it fast. But this was just wallowey all over the road, no sense of power and very grabby/messy gearchanges. And it sounded far more "thrashed" at high revs, really really screaming, but no go.

Comment

Re: Just test drove the Type R

Originally posted by VXR_James
          For anyone that is interested I just drove the new Type R, number 72 to be precise.

It was a 45 minute drive and I got to cover all aspects of the car.

The bottom line is this: I was expecting it to be very quick, and only a little slower than the VXR. I was wrong. It is really quite cumbersome, lazy, hazy and sloppy. Torque steer? Nothing, the wheel does not move an inch no matter how hard you accelerate. There is LOADS of noise after 5k revs, and not much go at all. It feels like a REALLY HEAVY 2.5 V6. The most power comes between 6 - 8k revs where it max's out. The power felt here is equivalent to 2.5-3.5k revs in the Astra.

If anyone has specific questions then post on here and I will reply. I am shocked at how uninspiring the car was, happy it's not a patch on ours, and also very confused at what the media are so excited about?

MOST EXCITING PART : The dealer kept saying "It sounds like a muffled touring car doesn't it, doesn't it (nudge nudge wink wink)" I thought "No it sounds like an engine being thrashed".

MOST BORING PART : Changing from 6th to 4th at 70mph and flooring it on the A3. NuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggghhhhhhhGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH and eventully we hit 85. WOW!
          I would agree that the engine does lack the sparkle of the EP3 ( previous version ) but what would you expect a 2 ltr motor, NA car to do ? The VXR has 2.5 and a turbo but I don't see many VXRs pulling in EP3s !!

Yes the new FN2 is heavier and a tad slower than the EP3 but the interior, handling, driver's position to name a few things are far superior to the current CTR.

Originally posted by Robbieben
          Mate of mine has one, I think it's very poor considering the previous versions he's had, don't like it at all, it does not remotely demonstate it's peedigree as a touring car.
          Unless your mate works at a dealer, he won't have one as they are not on release until at least March !

The FN2 has it seems been designed for the mass market this time - the current EP3 owners including myself have noticed the lack of performance but are very happy with the updated car generally. I won't be buying one however !!

Comment

The VXR has a 2Ltr Turbo, the ST is the 2.5Ltr 5 Cylinder Turbo Duratec engine :wink:

Comment

I can't believe torque steer is being talked about almost as a selling point, or something to be missed

The bottom line is that the VXR, as good as a car as it is, and it is a good car, took 5 years & 1 turbo to catch up with the original Type-R Civic, and still doesn't come close to the DC2 Integra :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by AlexFi
                The VXR has a 2Ltr Turbo, the ST is the 2.5Ltr 5 Cylinder Turbo Duratec engine :wink:
                Oops good start with a typo - yes I meant a 2.0

So the torque steer is now a selling point it seems - not very good for handling especially right hand bends me thinks !

Comment

People choose different cars for different reasons. Torque Steer is of course not a good thing, although some would say it adds character. Whilst the VXR has a reputation for it, thanks for Jeremy, it actually is nowhere near what people think.

End of the day the CTR (old version) was a very good car, thought about one myself but just loved the VXR. The new version will obviously raise different opinions, and I will reserve my judgement until I've driven one.

However I will say that it does appear as though it's not going to be as quick as the old one, which in my eyes is a shame - I would've thought they would maybe push it a little further in the performance stakes.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexFi
                    People choose different cars for different reasons. Torque Steer is of course not a good thing, although some would say it adds character. Whilst the VXR has a reputation for it, thanks for Jeremy, it actually is nowhere near what people think.

End of the day the CTR (old version) was a very good car, thought about one myself but just loved the VXR. The new version will obviously raise different opinions, and I will reserve my judgement until I've driven one.

However I will say that it does appear as though it's not going to be as quick as the old one, which in my eyes is a shame - I would've thought they would maybe push it a little further in the performance stakes.
                    We're talking of miniscule differences though and nothing to really make a difference !

The difference is the all round package - gone is the Vtec kick and in comes a smoother delivery with better handling for sure as well as more torque albeit it again marginal.

Nice car but just not as raw most EP3 owners were hoping for - very nice drive though !

Comment

Granted the overall car's facelift is nice, as I say just wish they'd done more with the engine. As you've said it seems to have lost something. Although 'technically' a better engine still think they've taken a back step :wink:

Comment

Unless your mate works at a dealer, he won't have one as they are not on release until at least March !
                        See one on the road today....
                        sigpic

Comment

The new CTR is a disapointment, no question, Honda have really missed the boat with it, if whoever posted this:

http://civictype-r.co.uk/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=127999

had a look around on the site, they would see that the FN2 is being held in a similar view to those expressed here. :wink:

as well as single handedly lowering the image of VXRonline members

Comment

Originally posted by In a state
                            See one on the road today....
                            Test drive then - waiting lists state at least mid month as many people are ordering GTs with 19inch upgades which are not there !!

Some will hit the roads this week yes.

Comment

I think that the look of the new Type-R is so so nice and the interior is awesome in my opinion. The dash puts most other cars to shame, the reason I'd not get one though is the cost of a well specified one and the non-turbo poor performing engine.

The bottom line is that the VXR, as good as a car as it is, and it is a good car, took 5 years & 1 turbo to catch up with the original Type-R Civic, and still doesn't come close to the DC2 Integra Wink
                              And as for the comment above, the old astra 16v could keep up with the first civic type r, and my astra GSi used to leave the last type-r for dead.... in a straight line.....
                              Astra VXR - Power Red - Antracite 19s - Folding Mirrors - Cruise - ITG filter - Courts red hoses

Comment

Working...
                              X