This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing A pillar

How do I remove the the trim thats on the A pillar, I need to run my snooper power cable through it and across the dash where the screen meets the dash to where the speaker grill is.

Is It possible to push a cable between the windscreen and the dash at all so that I dont see it?

I dont want to see any horrible cables in the car, if my method wont work, is there a way to get the cable to run from the accessory socket and up to where the grill is somehow but with the cable behind the dash?

Hope that makes sense!
    sigpic
    Focus ST3 in Orange 06' - Dreamscience Race Re-Map - DMB Orange Ford Overlays - Carbon Wrap Key - ST Orange Trim Mats - Facelift Duffuser - Facelift LED Rear Lights - Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta - LED Interior Lights - Silver Side Stripes - ST & DS Badges - Tinted Rear Windows - Vinyl Front Grill Lip - Rattle Free

get a small flat bladed screwdriver. mount it low on the window and then poke the cable into the small gap between the pillar and the dash, then route under the steering wheel dash above the pedals as there is a ledge and that give access into the center console
    #ImKindOfABigThingAroundHere
    #IHaveManyLeatherBoundBooks

Comment

Thanks havoc, I just replied to your other thread. I have a few more questions in there

Can you have a look?

Thanks
      sigpic
      Focus ST3 in Orange 06' - Dreamscience Race Re-Map - DMB Orange Ford Overlays - Carbon Wrap Key - ST Orange Trim Mats - Facelift Duffuser - Facelift LED Rear Lights - Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta - LED Interior Lights - Silver Side Stripes - ST & DS Badges - Tinted Rear Windows - Vinyl Front Grill Lip - Rattle Free

Comment

sure m8 ask away
        will post picks of my setup.. its isnt 100% tidy, ran out of time today!

Also the A pillar contains an airbag.. airbags have explosive... wouldnt touch that except with my head in an accident

Comment

Originally posted by havoc856 View Post
          sure m8 ask away
          will post picks of my setup.. its isnt 100% tidy, ran out of time today!

Also the A pillar contains an airbag.. airbags have explosive... wouldnt touch that except with my head in an accident

So it's best to leave the a pillar alone and push the cable down through the gap between the pillar and dash?

Heres what I posted in your other topic:
          Where did you put your Snooper? and how did you run the wire?

I wanna put the snooper right in the center of the dash by the grill, but am worried about how to run the cable, I want it hidden and just the plug and a little wire showing, thought of pushing it down between the screen and the dash, but dunno if thats possible!!

How easy was it to get at the cig lighter cable?

Sorry for all the qs
          sigpic

Comment

just make sure you leave enough cable to make it to the center of the dash of youll end up redoing it like i did!! there is a gap between the screen and the dash, i had a Pioneer AVIC-X1R gps antenna and cable routed up there in my old H SRi.

IMHO id leave the sloped trim section of the A Pillar well alone

All cables are easy to get to if you are patient and dont yank at bits!!!

Comment

Okies.

HOW TO: Install a Snooper (Evolution In my case)

1. Under your handbrake there is a cover that goes over the OOBD port. Beside the gaiter for the handbrake is a finger hole, pull up and remove the cover.
              2. Using a T20 hexspanner undo the two screws holding down the gear surround.
              3. Gentle pull back the gear surround and the cigarrette lighter casing comes out. If it doesnt, it may require a wiggle.
              4. Using either soldering iron and solder or a dual cable crimp block, connect the fused live to the red wire.
              5. Using either a soldering iron and solder or a dual cable crimp block, connect the neg wire to the brown wire.
              6. Route the rest of the cable out the back of the center console, there is an opening near the pedals.
              7. Using the black sticky pads given with the snooper, stick one to the small tray above the pedals at each side of the footwell.
              8. leaving sufficient slack, stick the cable to the pads and tidy away into the tray/dash trim
              9. Besides the door:

Using a small flat blade screwdriver, push the cable in between the fabric trim and the dash.

Using this method, taking care not to damage anything, you can route the snooper power cable up to the base of the window.

Connect up and turn on.

Bear in mind that the snooper is attached to a permenantly live cable, and needs turning on and off... I couldnt find an ignition logic cable :S

Pictures:

*Remembering i have yet to poke my cable away door side

The cable can be poked deeper, i have pulled it up so you can see better

Trust me it does fit in between the two trim types.

*EDIT* Mods ill pull my dash apart when i get time this weekend and draft up a proper HOW TO for future reference in the How to sect

Comment

Originally posted by skyliner34 View Post
                So it's best to leave the a pillar alone and push the cable down through the gap between the pillar and dash?

Heres what I posted in your other topic:
                Where did you put your Snooper? and how did you run the wire?

I wanna put the snooper right in the center of the dash by the grill, but am worried about how to run the cable, I want it hidden and just the plug and a little wire showing, thought of pushing it down between the screen and the dash, but dunno if thats possible!!

How easy was it to get at the cig lighter cable?

Sorry for all the qs
                Alright mate,i'v done the same type of thing last year with my road angel,and I found the easy'st and best way (no cable visible at all is as follows:

Take the center speaker cover off the dash,it just pulls off,
                Lay the cable under that,then lay it along the bottom of the windscreen replace the cover,theres a groove on the speaker cover so it wont crimp the cable,
                Push the cable down with a screwdriver in between the windscreen and dash all the way along to the passenger side A pillar,
                Remove the glovebox,
                Poke the cable down a small gap in between the A-pillar and the dash and it should come out where the glovebox goes,
                Remove the plastic trim under the handbrake and the trim around the gearstick and the cigarette lighter,
                Lay the cable along the back of the glovebox on the ledge at the back of it then just route the cable around the back of the interior trim that is on the floor near your right foot and up into the back of the cig lighter then just wire it up.

Hope this helps mate and if you need any more help or any pics then just give me a pm and i'll see what i can do.

Comment

Cheers for that

How do you remove the black trim around the gear leaver, do I undo 2 hex screws like havoc said?
                  sigpic

Comment

Take the center speaker cover off the dash,it just pulls off,
                    **** i never ever thought of that! You'd defo get more cable to play with from that.

Comment

Trick is to get it off, from a quick glance it looks hard to grab it using hands, maybe if I shove something in the grill and lever it up gently not to mark it maybe!
                      sigpic

Comment

Cheers for that

How do you remove the black trim around the gear leaver, do I undo 2 hex screws like havoc said?
                        Yes mate undo the two screws then it just pulls off.

Comment

Trick is to get it off, from a quick glance it looks hard to grab it using hands, maybe if I shove something in the grill and lever it up gently not to mark it maybe!
                          Na it comes off easy mate,just grab it from the windscreen end and it just pulls straight up.

Comment

Originally posted by havoc856 View Post
                            **** i never ever thought of that! You'd defo get more cable to play with from that.
                            Oh yes and it looks so much more neater and hidden.

Comment

Originally posted by rdopneal View Post
                              Na it comes off easy mate,just grab it from the windscreen end and it just pulls straight up.
                              Ah right, didn't know there was a gap there to grab, will try it tomorrow.

Cheer for your help
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X