Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TMS stage 3. Yeah ha!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • TMS stage 3. Yeah ha!

    So, as time is a critical issue at the mo, I decided to get the car remaped to stage3 before completeing the other mods that I have planned. So having tried various maps from the different tuners and spoken to most of them I decided that I preferred the TMS map or rather I should say it suited my driving style. So after a chat with John Thorne it was all decided and it was off to TMS today to get the map done...

    The car was RR before and after(Deffo the way to do the mapping if you can),The car was RR before and after. The before figure was up on standard which I expected which kind of bears out the result I had before.


    Anyways the map was checked on my car being as it had non standard parts (for TMS maps), and with everything being fine (customised or not not exactly sure?) loaded onto the car. I also decided on getting a Bluefin not so much for the ability to take a map off and put it on, but for its diagnostic features and more importantly for me the ability to immobilse the car (this will come in handy when I am away on my travels).

    So enough babble and on to the graph



    So 289.2HP and 340.3 lbFT, which considering that the cat back is the standard VXR system, not bad at all. More importantly the graphs are smooth but with the complete exhaust system on should smooth out even more and hopefully release a few more ponies.

    Lastly a huge thanks to everyone @ TMS for also diagnosing the dreaded Turkey noise (split diaphram) which actually sounds like a bird chirping noise, and fixing it (Daz) under warrentee. Top job and an enjoyable day.

    So no mention of how it drives? Simple I already knew, mental with the sport button on, economy saving with it off. Exactly what I expected. I even managed 34mpg on the way home (31mpg on the way there) and that was caining it a bit with the sport button on for 90% of the time.

    The roar now is unbelievable under acceleration!.

    Oh and before I forget Thanks to Neil (Napster), for coming down on his day off and helping me pass the time. It was good to catch up.
    Last edited by BasilD; 22 December 2008, 03:28 PM.

  • #2
    how much did that cost ya m8 looking 2 get mine done

    Comment


    • #3
      That Grapth does show before and after mate!

      Red is before!
      Blue is after!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by starkie View Post
        That Grapth does show before and after mate!

        Red is before!
        Blue is after!
        Oops missed that.... So edited the post.

        Comment


        • #5
          Did you get the intercooler done as well for running a stage 3 map?
          If so did you go for upper or lower intercooler....come to think of it which should you go for?!
          ..:: Cheers, Stu ::..

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by arden blue boy View Post
            how much did that cost ya m8 looking 2 get mine done
            Cost of the bluefin plus dyno/setup time, but all listed on Thorneys website. BTW the Bluefin is on special till month end.

            Originally posted by duckson View Post
            Did you get the intercooler done as well for running a stage 3 map?
            If so did you go for upper or lower intercooler....come to think of it which should you go for?!
            I already had the intercooler fitted. Got this via a group buy. It is the 888/courtenay/VXR racing one.
            Last edited by BasilD; 22 December 2008, 03:33 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              As you say, nice smooth curves and impressive figures off the standard exhaust
              Another satisfied TMS customer, glad you had a good experience - you always remember your first S3 drive home!
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by BasilD View Post
                So, as time is a critical issue at the mo, I decided to get the car remaped to stage3 before completeing the other mods that I have planned. So having tried various maps from the different tuners and spoken to most of them I decided that I preferred the TMS map or rather I should say it suited my driving style. So after a chat with John Thorne it was all decided and it was off to TMS today to get the map done...

                The car was RR before and after(Deffo the way to do the mapping if you can),The car was RR before and after. The before figure was up on standard which I expected which kind of bears out the result I had before.


                Anyways the map was checked on my car being as it had non standard parts (for TMS maps), and with everything being fine (customised or not not exactly sure?) loaded onto the car. I also decided on getting a Bluefin not so much for the ability to take a map off and put it on, but for its diagnostic features and more importantly for me the ability to immobilse the car (this will come in handy when I am away on my travels).

                So enough babble and on to the graph



                So 289.2HP and 340.3 lbFT, which considering that the cat back is the standard VXR system, not bad at all. More importantly the graphs are smooth but with the complete exhaust system on should smooth out even more and hopefully release a few more ponies.

                Lastly a huge thanks to everyone @ TMS for also diagnosing the dreaded Turkey noise (split diaphram) which actually sounds like a bird chirping noise, and fixing it (Daz) under warrentee. Top job and an enjoyable day.

                So no mention of how it drives? Simple I already knew, mental with the sport button on, economy saving with it off. Exactly what I expected. I even managed 34mpg on the way home (31mpg on the way there) and that was caining it a bit with the sport button on for 90% of the time.

                The roar now is unbelievable under acceleration!.

                Oh and before I forget Thanks to Neil (Napster), for coming down on his day off and helping me pass the time. It was good to catch up.
                Not a bad result, nice smooth graph

                Comment


                • #9
                  Glad your enjoying it Basil and nice to finally meet you

                  And thank you to Neil for the Chocolates
                  sigpic
                  My VXR from Start to Finish

                  Gone but not forgotten - one of the original crew

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Glad your pleased Basil.
                    HeavenlyDetail
                    .
                    Youtube Channel - HeavenlyDetail

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      happy days , glad your liking it

                      i ve just got a couple of questions that may be for the more techically minded could shed some light on -

                      1) what difference do you get on RR graphs when its run in different gears ?

                      i only asked as when i had my last rolling road and got 285bhp 302lbs torque running stage 1.5 eds/ipf ( stage 1 map with de-cat pipe ) it was run in i think 5th gear or may of been 4th , but i notice yours was run in 3rd gear ?

                      2) it also says your tyres were at 50 (PSI i m assuming) but why , surely this would also have an effect on the RR ? and hope they put them back to standard pressure for the road test and your drive home

                      3) is it a real stage 3 or more like a 2.5 as you say that is with the standard cat back exhaust ? im taking you have the de-cat and intercooler and running a stage 3 map . what are the down sides to running standard back ? as i m sure you d be in the mid 290bhp with a milly cat back or remus but your getting a nice bit of torque over me with the intercooler .

                      as i say these are only some questions that i ve just wondered about from what your graph and you have said ? and wondering what + or - effects they may have !! or i may of just miss read the infomation

                      anyway glad you happy safe driving
                      Project J is here Carbon Parts for Astra J Or vectra vxr brake conversions to astra/corsa please PM

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by vxr-blacksheep View Post
                        happy days , glad your liking it

                        i ve just got a couple of questions that may be for the more techically minded could shed some light on -

                        1) what difference do you get on RR graphs when its run in different gears ?

                        i only asked as when i had my last rolling road and got 285bhp 302lbs torque running stage 1.5 eds/ipf ( stage 1 map with de-cat pipe ) it was run in i think 5th gear or may of been 4th , but i notice yours was run in 3rd gear ?
                        We have a Dyno Dynamics dyno and for these we run in whatever gear gives a near 1:1 acceleration rate, 3rd or 4th it makes the same. Different dynos run different measures.
                        2) it also says your tyres were at 50 (PSI i m assuming) but why , surely this would also have an effect on the RR ? and hope they put them back to standard pressure for the road test and your drive home
                        We put all cars to 50psi, it ensures all cars are measured the same and stops tyre deformation from affecting the readings. Yes, we put them back before you leave.
                        3) is it a real stage 3 or more like a 2.5 as you say that is with the standard cat back exhaust ? im taking you have the de-cat and intercooler and running a stage 3 map . what are the down sides to running standard back ? as i m sure you d be in the mid 290bhp with a milly cat back or remus but your getting a nice bit of torque over me with the intercooler .
                        All cars are different, but yes by adding the cat you'd add more power.
                        [quote[
                        as i say these are only some questions that i ve just wondered about from what your graph and you have said ? and wondering what + or - effects they may have !! or i may of just miss read the infomation

                        anyway glad you happy safe driving [/quote]

                        Not daft questions at all.

                        Oh yes, and Neil thanks for the choccies, lasted about 5 seconds

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          thanks for that , always nice to get as much info as possible and reasons as to why things are done.
                          Project J is here Carbon Parts for Astra J Or vectra vxr brake conversions to astra/corsa please PM

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Happy days mate glad your happy with your new toy bet you smiled all the way home.

                            www.courtenaysport.co.uk/ For all your tuning needs

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Can I just explain I have the 3" precat replacement and a cat replacement with a 200cell sports cat. Which is 3" all the way till after the cat. The next stage will be custom and the size is yet to be determined but more than likely it will be 3" equivalent as it will be a dual exit backbox. The only factory bit is backbox and the resonated part and yes it is a full stage 3 map. Will power be up when the rest get replaced, yes I would expect some marginal gains which should take it to the mid 290's.

                              The rest I think John explained nicely. I will add please do not compare different RR to each other, each measures slightly differently. Use them for what they are tools to help the tuners setup your car and to see how it is running by looking for obvious issues by looking at the shape of the graphs.

                              Daz good to finally meet you too, likewise John and the rest of the lads/lasses at TMS.

                              And yes the smile still has not left my face. The only way to describe it is mental on, mental off. Damn mental is so much fun!
                              Last edited by BasilD; 23 December 2008, 01:06 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X