X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Induction System

Hi all,

I know this subject has been done to death a bit but after having a good read of the induction threads on this forum, one question is still a little unclear to me.

I know the prefered method is to just add a panel filter to the existing airbox or change to the 1.9 box but is there any reason why fitting an aftermarket kit such as the pipercross viper (with cold air feed) is not reccomended? Does it cause any problems or actually cause power loss?

Any advice appreciated

Originally posted by Bryan View Post
    Hi all,

I know this subject has been done to death a bit but after having a good read of the induction threads on this forum, one question is still a little unclear to me.

I know the prefered method is to just add a panel filter to the existing airbox or change to the 1.9 box but is there any reason why fitting an aftermarket kit such as the pipercross viper (with cold air feed) is not reccomended? Does it cause any problems or actually cause power loss?

Any advice appreciated

Ive got a K&N induction kit on mine and its never caused me any problems, people on here talk of problems but no one actually backs the problem up with real stories its all "hear say" that you will get running problems, they wouldnt sell them if they ****** your car up. I can recomend cold air feed as i dont have one because i had one before and it took water straight up and into the filter and bent con roda and put a hole in the block. Heat soak well i can say i notice any.

Sounds really good aswell, got a darth fader kind of inhaling sound to it.

Comment

Originally posted by W4GCN View Post
      Ive got a K&N induction kit on mine and its never caused me any problems, people on here talk of problems but no one actually backs the problem up with real stories its all "hear say" that you will get running problems, they wouldnt sell them if they ****** your car up. I can recomend cold air feed as i dont have one because i had one before and it took water straight up and into the filter and bent con roda and put a hole in the block. Heat soak well i can say i notice any.

Sounds really good aswell, got a darth fader kind of inhaling sound to it.
      Do you have a link to the one you have mate?

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan View Post
        Do you have a link to the one you have mate?
        http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...E:B:EF:GB:1123

Theres a link to one of them, i am sure this is the one i have and works fine for me, although i am sure there are other good ones, K&N are a trusted brand and ive always went with them. Piper are good aswell.

Comment

Heatsoak... warm your car up.. give it a little boot then lift the bonnet and touch the crossover pipe.. then imagine the temperature inside that pipe.. Thats why you need a decent induction system that keeps the major air routes away from the engine until the pipes meet the throttles etc. For instance, a 57i, correctly routed, with the cone located out of the engine bay and in direct cold air channels, correct sealed pipes with as little kinks in to ease airflow is sorted! Cones do give induction roar more than a rep panel filter, but are more at risk of water and heat absorption.

My mate has a typhoon on his STi and it is mounted at the bottom, in the front grille. It has a sock that he puts on it when its wet. Its very good.

Induction kits are all about placement..

My two cents in there

*EDIT*

Ind roar on T cars is not as loud as N/A
          Last edited by havoc856; 26 December 2008, 10:17 PM. Reason: clarity
          #ImKindOfABigThingAroundHere
          #IHaveManyLeatherBoundBooks

Comment

Originally posted by havoc856 View Post
            Heatsoak... warm your car up.. give it a little boot then lift the bonnet and touch the crossover pipe.. then imagine the temperature inside that pipe.. Thats why you need a decent induction system that keeps the major air routes away from the engine until the pipes meet the throttles etc. For instance, a 57i, correctly routed, with the cone located out of the engine bay and in direct cold air channels, correct sealed pipes with as little kinks in to ease airflow is sorted! Cones do give induction roar more than a rep panel filter, but are more at risk of water and heat absorption.

My mate has a typhoon on his STi and it is mounted at the bottom, in the front grille. It has a sock that he puts on it when its wet. Its very good.

My two cents in there

*EDIT*

If the induction system has a cold air feed leading to the front grille, would this eliminate the potential heatsoak?

Comment

as long as the route to and from the front and rear of the cone avoids the engine.. i.e routing the CIS along the OEM airbox route.

You may benfit from putting the filter into the front of the bumper, i.e in the space between the grille and the i/c, then routing pipes up to the throttles
              #ImKindOfABigThingAroundHere
              #IHaveManyLeatherBoundBooks

Comment

Originally posted by havoc856 View Post

My two cents in there

*EDIT*

Yeah i know what your saying but generally in the engine bay the heat build up from a turbo car is unavoidable, the supposed heat soak that is probibly not going to effect the performance isn a major way bot at this stage in the boys modding.

I know theres been various debates but maybe he's not that interested in heat soak as i dont think its a major issue, what are the gains going to be almost nothing...

Comment

Yeah i know what your saying but generally in the engine bay the heat build up from a turbo car is unavoidable, the supposed heat soak that is probibly not going to effect the performance isn a major way bot at this stage in the boys modding.

I know theres been various debates but maybe he's not that interested in heat soak as i dont think its a major issue, what are the gains going to be almost nothing...
                  If combined with other engine mods cold air can make a noticable difference to the cars performance and is better for the engine, standard engines i may agree that it would probably not make a difference. However, the majority of people that have had induction kits have gone back to the standard air boxs with an uprated panel filter or the 1.9 CDTI conversion.

I suppose at the end of the day its personal choice.

Another option is to keep the standard air box and uprate the filter. Then take the whole air box out and there is a hole in the wheel arch underneath it which isnt used for anything in the VXR. Make a hole in the airbox in the same place and run a pipe into it from the front grill of the VXR. Then you'll have an extra cold air feed into the airbox and providing that any holes made are below the filter no contaminats will get into the air system.

Check this thread out:

http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...ghlight=airbox

Initially i didnt like what i had done but i have grown to like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 1983 View Post
                    Check this thread out:

A very interesting read, thanks for the link.

Comment

If combined with other engine mods cold air can make a noticable difference to the cars performance and is better for the engine, standard engines i may agree that it would probably not make a difference. However, the majority of people that have had induction kits have gone back to the standard air boxs with an uprated panel filter or the 1.9 CDTI conversion.

I suppose at the end of the day its personal choice.

Another option is to keep the standard air box and uprate the filter. Then take the whole air box out and there is a hole in the wheel arch underneath it which isnt used for anything in the VXR. Make a hole in the airbox in the same place and run a pipe into it from the front grill of the VXR. Then you'll have an extra cold air feed into the airbox and providing that any holes made are below the filter no contaminats will get into the air system.

Check this thread out:

Hi jay, thanks mate ive read that one before when it was on the go but unfortunaltey its one of those threads that got hi jacked and out of control so i never read it further.

Did you drill the box and fit a standard or upgraded panel filter?

Ive never been a fan of the drilled box as it takes alot more **** in with it, i bought an itg and a stage two Bluefin and it was nicked from my work so now ive a brand new airbox and a K&N 57i so until i get another one im sticking with the K&N.

Comment

Hi jay, thanks mate ive read that one before when it was on the go but unfortunaltey its one of those threads that got hi jacked and out of control so i never read it further.

Did you drill the box and fit a standard or upgraded panel filter?

Ive never been a fan of the drilled box as it takes alot more **** in with it, i bought an itg and a stage two Bluefin and it was nicked from my work so now ive a brand new airbox and a K&N 57i so until i get another one im sticking with the K&N.
                        Upgraded the panel filter a while ago. Yes it may take some more **** to the filter however the filter can be cleaned so it isnt really a problem.

Comment

Upgraded the panel filter a while ago. Yes it may take some more **** to the filter however the filter can be cleaned so it isnt really a problem.
                          Sweet, could be the way to go, i assume you will get a decent induction throaty kind of sound with the drilled box?

Comment

Sweet, could be the way to go, i assume you will get a decent induction throaty kind of sound with the drilled box?
                            Yes you do, initially i didnt like it but its grown on me now!

Comment

i did the same and i think it sounds great and didnt cost a bean
                              VXR gone Audi A6 Avant - Le Mans in
                              http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/ PROUD TO BE A RUDE YORKSHIRE IDIOT SINCE 1981!

Comment

Working...
                              X