This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interior plastic

what is the best way of cleaning the plastic ready to be painted,removing polish,muck etc.

Originally posted by ARDENIAN View Post
    what is the best way of cleaning the plastic ready to be painted,removing polish,muck etc.
    Any degreaser will do it but make sure it has no oil in it.

PPG do good degreaser, make sure its for automotive painting and not the type you buy to clean out your engine bay nore to clean gloss paint off paint brushes.

Comment

meths or thinners available from halfords ect
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Luke.H View Post
        meths or thinners available from halfords ect
        Meths has oil in it and thinners will melt the plastics and or make them go soft.

Luke.H i dont think thinners in the hands of a rookie is a good idea as to me and use who use it everyday we know its limits, i didnt mention thinners as in the wrongs hands and used in the wrong area will foook his interior and i wasnt for taking the blame for a melted interior.

Comment

Originally posted by W4GCN View Post
          Meths has oil in it and thinners will melt the plastics and or make them go soft.

Luke.H i dont think thinners in the hands of a rookie is a good idea as to me and use who use it everyday we know its limits, i didnt mention thinners as in the wrongs hands and used in the wrong area will foook his interior and i wasnt for taking the blame for a melted interior.

Fair point about in wrong hands and being safe ect. Although is what id use.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Luke.H View Post
            Fair point about in wrong hands and being safe ect. Although is what id use.
            Me to but ive been using it for 12 years and made all the mistakes, i was a panel beater painter for 12 years and now into civil engineering for the cash...

Comment

Thanks for the reply's,what about brake cleaner or is that too much?

Comment

get down to halfords and get a can of surface cleaner, its good stuff, i used it before spraying my dash at it came up fine.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165594

Comment

Thanks for the reply's,what about brake cleaner or is that too much?
                  Hmm yeah i suppose that would work, if your not going for the pro paint job then possibly but you will get degrease at halfords for very little.

Its best getting the pre work right mate cause when you go and paint it and it reacts its going to be a pain in the hoop to put right where as if you get the right stuff and do the prep work properly you'll 9 times out of 10 get a good finish and reaction free plastic painting.

Comment

Thanks mate,just got back from Halfords,looks like i will have another trip back !!!!

Comment

Thanks mate,just got back from Halfords,looks like i will have another trip back !!!!
                      Haha sorry pal!

Comment

Originally posted by W4GCN View Post

meths dont have oil in it. thats white spirit.

meths should be fine
                        Tech2 Diagnostics
                        Cruise control, Radio programming, Display Programming, Anti Hijack, Check Control In the West Midlands. PM for Info

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by vxrmartyn View Post
                          meths dont have oil in it. thats white spirit.

meths should be fine
                          I wasnt sure but i know not to use it when painting with 2 pac automotive paints! Dont know why have always been told not to use it.

Comment

Working...
                          X