This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with my 19s

Forgive me for posting this in here, but i've got the same alloys as the astra, and the vectra section is so much quieter, i thought id post it in here for more oppinions if thats ok ?

I'll first ask if anyone can see anything wrong in this pic ?

No ?

maybe move a bit closer

How about now ?

Is this colour difference with the centres normal ?

The alloys have had this from when i bought the car 2nd hand in august. They were scratched to hell and back and i had them refurbed. When i had them refurbed, the guy thought he saw signs of overspray in the inners, possibly meaning they'd already been refurbed once during their lifetime, explaining the colour difference.

He tryed to get as close a match to the plastic centres as possible, which produced the following results, making me think that maybe everybodys are like this ?

And now to top it all, the finish of the refurb is leaving a lot to be desired. If they are so much as touched, the paint flakes off in massive chunks. One of my rear wheels had a slight kerbing mark, the actual impact was only a tiny mark, but it flaked off about 2 inches of paint

So do i take them back and get them refurbed again ? or do i just give it up as a bad job and get a completely different set of alloys all over again ?
    Last edited by MrLOL; 29 December 2008, 02:22 PM.

no this is normal for plain silver alloys

Comment

i also think that this is normal, as also on me corsa those two silvers are not same...
      MB E63s AMG
      MB C63 AMG & Performance Package
      Megane R.S. 250 CUP - Gone, But Not Forgotten
      Opel Corsa OPC / VXR - Gone, But Not Forgotten

Comment

I am no expert but i would say that this is normal as they are different materials so you get a slightly different colour to the finish, its like with your bumpers if you look at them, they will be slightly different shade compared to the metal parts of the car. as for large parts of paint flaking off your alloys this should not happen sounds like they wasnt refurb properly i would take them back to were you had them refurbed, how did they refurb them did they chemically dip them to strip all the paint of first and take them back to the bare metal as this is how it should be done properly i think.

Comment

all i can see wrong is that in the first picture it looks as if u have backed into that metal fence behind you
          sigpic

Comment

if you look closely at the centre cap the silver part is polished alloy then laquered,not painted that why it looks different & 100% correct.
            hope this helps

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by tigertin25 View Post
                all i can see wrong is that in the first picture it looks as if u have backed into that metal fence behind you
                haha, it was taken in works car park which is very, very tight. I had to back it in gently and just roll the car on the clutch to be right up against the gate. I've been there 18 months so im just used to it now.

Originally posted by leelee View Post
                if you look closely at the centre cap the silver part is polished alloy then laquered,not painted that why it looks different & 100% correct.
                hope this helps

thanks, its just they appeared to match when looking at other peoples photos on-line so i was a bit worried, especially as i hadnt seen a clean pair of 19s up close before so didnt know what they were "supposed" to look like. Just got to chase up the bloke about the quality of the refurb

Does anybody know much about it ? it seems theres 2 different methods, painting or powder coating. Powdercoating seems to be more durable, but cheaper and will produce a finish that is less shiny, and will have less of a range of finishes.

Painting will give a much nicer finish, but at the expense of durability, with more range of colours. I just wasnt expecting the paint to flake off in big chunks when kerb'd. Makes me wonder what the factory finish is as that can kerbed without flaking off big chunks of paint.

Comment

I had my SRi T wheels refurbed when i first got it because they looked shameful! They were painted because the nearest place that could powder coat them wanted them 1 wheel at a time supplied with the tyre already off... Couldn't be bothered with this.

I found a local place who would keep the car in their workshop overnight on axle stands so they could do all 4 wheels. Got the car back next day. The finish was stunning but very delicate! They took the tyres off to paint the wheels and baked them after so the paint was as hard as possible. The finish on the rear wheels became peppered with tiny indentations as they were bombarded with crud off the front wheels.

A couple of years later some incompetent t*** at a tyre fitters managed to damage the finish in 3 places on each rear wheel (you could flick large chunks of paint off after this). I played hell and they eventually agreed to get the wheels refurbished for me. They sent them to some back street garage who did a shocking job that was only evident after a certain ammount of weathering. The paint came off in large flakes.

Looks like your centre caps are doing what mine did! They reacted with the wheel cleaner that the valeting company used on it before i picked up the car.

I guess what i'm trying to say is that it really matters what place you take it to.
                  sigpic

Comment

i was thinking maybe you had parking sensors lol
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VXRSi View Post

Looks like your centre caps are doing what mine did! They reacted with the wheel cleaner that the valeting company used on it before i picked up the car.
                      yeah that annoys me too.

Ive never used anything other than bilberry at 10:1 so ive not put anything nasty anwhere near the wheels, but judging by the way the previous owner kept the car, i wouldnt be supprised if he had.

Dont suppose anybody knows if anything can be done with these ?

Comment

Originally posted by MrLOL View Post
                        yeah that annoys me too.

Ive never used anything other than bilberry at 10:1 so ive not put anything nasty anwhere near the wheels, but judging by the way the previous owner kept the car, i wouldnt be supprised if he had.

Dont suppose anybody knows if anything can be done with these ?
                        I just had mine replaced under warranty. I'd imagine they'd need to be repainted again after correct preperation.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X