This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double DIN Monitors

Im toying with the idea of gettin a double din monitor for my car. I have a few things i want on the unit
    1, Full i-pod control
    2, 2 RCA points, so i can run my amps.
    3, Personalised background picture selection
    4, Needs to be compatibable to be operated through steering wheel controls.

Ideally, seems as ill have to pay a few quid for one. I would also like
    1, Navigation
    2, Bluetooth Compatability

I have seen 2

Kenwood DNX-5220BT - £599.99
    http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...s_id/8067.html

Pioneer AVIC-D3BT - £629.99
    http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...s_id/5821.html

Does anyone have any experience with either of these 2, or are they able to recommend something else. Im not too sure what to really look for on these systems so any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers in advance
    Whats next?!?!?

hi mate, i have the pioneer one and got it from caraudiosecurity aswell. they are only down the road from me and got them to fit it aswell. think it was £810 fitted and that was inlcuding the ipod lead which is sometimes an extra.

i love the unit and think its the bext thing ive purchased for the car. has memory navigation which basically means that its cd operated so you have to put the cd in then select your address then you can take it bk out if you like. a lot of people seem to think this is a hassle but its been fine with me and takes like 2 minutes, just do it before you set off on your journey.

has bluetooth aswell which works great. cd/radio are all exccellent. lots of features on there. i know you can upload backgrounds on there but just cant work out how to do it. but can definately be done.

my favorite thing about the unit is the dials that you can get up on there. speed/volts,direction etc. look great in the dark.

my ipod connection goes straight into the glove box but just make sure if you do the same you always take your ipod with you because mine got stolen a few months back.

anythin else you wanna know just ask and ill try and help.

oh yea and although mines on the silver dash still looks awesome. ill try and get some pics

Comment

There was a link on a thread not so long ago that had a list of the top of the range which were around £1,500.00. If you do a search you should find it.

Comment

Given the choice and from my experience using both it would be without a doubt the Kenwood. The Kenwood has a garmin navi system so map updates are in the region of £60 compared to pioneers (£100 to £150), you can load your own POI (incl. speed cams) which you cannot do on the Pioneer. It has a Parrot bluetooth system so is one of the most universal about and get updates regularly for new phones. You can display ipod video if you so choose (aside from demoing it for someone once I have never used this feature myself). Lastly with the kenwood you do not need a speed pulse or even the reverse hooked up (althought with the CANBUS steering wheel adpater you should have these readily available). Beware though the piod lead (for video/audio or just audio itself) cable is normally extra and to activate TMC you need to get the TMC receiver code of the heaunit and along with your serial no (of the headunit) call Garmin who will give you your unlock code.

Now you could also look at the new Pioneer F series (which has very similar features to the Kenwood minus the Garmin navi, but I have advised people against these after an extended play with some (F900, F700) as they are notoriously slow on startup and have far to many software glitches for there own good.

Alternatively, have a look at the JVC NX5000 (or something of the sorts) double din as it is a similar price. It has a bigger screen but you will need to add bluetooth seperately. Although bluetooth is not as compatible as the Kenwoods.

All the the name brands can support Steering wheel controls and I advise sticking to the Connects2 interface (CTVX0002 and CTKENWOON (for kenwood) or CTPIONEER for Pioneer)) as it will allow you to set the time/date as well.

Other then that you also need a fascia kit (connects2 or Autoleads only please) as you need the new cage the kit comes with, and lastly you need the active aerial adapter.
        Last edited by BasilD; 29 December 2008, 05:55 PM.

Comment

with this whole navigation thing, can i play the radio or ipod at the same time and the directions are spoken over the top?

i didnt realise as well i would need to pay for updates on the navigation, how often would i need to update, once a year? twice a year?

i have a nokia n95 8gb, is this compatible with the bluetooth?
          Whats next?!?!?

Comment

As BasilD knows I am a big fan of the JVC, so heres my take...

The JVC is a KW-NX7000, the Only Double Din on the market that you can remove the Facia Panel From. 7" Full Touch Screen with Motion Sensor.
            Full IPod USB, but you will need a KS-U20 if you want Video IPod.
            It is Bluetooth Compatible with a KS-BTA200 adaptor which is actually Parrot software so it is equally as good as the Kenwood.
            You can add speed cameras and other POI's as you wish.
            The JVC KW-NX700 is more Comparable to the Kenwood DNX8220BT i feel, but does have the advantage of removable facia...
            Some Car Audio dealers sell it as a package with the Bluetooth adaptor...

Comment

i have just ordered the kenwood 8220bt from them, should be here 2mro or wed. looks like a great piece of kit. got all the leads for integration plus ipod etc does all of what you want for less than a grand. hth
              sigpic
              JUST GOES LIKE STINK .... END OV!! Stage 3 and LSD to come next!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kieran23 View Post
                with this whole navigation thing, can i play the radio or ipod at the same time and the directions are spoken over the top?

i didnt realise as well i would need to pay for updates on the navigation, how often would i need to update, once a year? twice a year?

i have a nokia n95 8gb, is this compatible with the bluetooth?
                Yes you will of course be able to listen to what ever source you want whilst navigating. On the JVC you can actually have the unit running on one source display, for example showing track listings & Album Covers on your IPod and then when you are approaching a junction the screen will flick to Navigation and after you have navigated the junction etc it will switch back to the original display selection, quite a nice feature.

I would only ever update the maps when you feel neccessary, every couple of years would be fine. Nokia N95 phones are pretty notorious for not working with certain manufacturers in my experience but with Parrot software on the Kenwood and JVC you should be OK. Nokias software not the units I am hacent to add...

Comment

on the pioneer its the same. the voice will cut into the music to let you know directions. however i have the nokia n95 8gb aswell and like all nokias with these bloody bluetooths the phonebook does not work. somthing to do with the symbian software.

basil do you know how to get background pictures on the pioneer??

Comment

i have the DNX - 5220BT and its fantastic, the satnav is great, full ipod control,parrot bluetooth which is extremely clear, but just remember you will need the connects2 fitting kit as the one supplied will not fit the astra.

Comment

i have the same as above top unit
                      WARNING all replys are incorrect as usual

Comment

so you'd recommend the kenwood then mandy?

a few questions,

how long have you had it?
                        any issues?
                        how often have you updated the sat nav maps?
                        what colour are the button lights on the unit?
                        is it easy to use, like putting your own pictures as a background on?
                        Whats next?!?!?

Comment

same questions to you as well then paul
                          Whats next?!?!?

Comment

iv had myn 7 months no faults just the canbus connect lead froze 2 days after fitting changed it been bang on the sat nav is great and iv had a tom tom and road angel garmin is far better.....sub set up is easy and sounds great...the logo wasnt hard just the instructions arnt the best but its a great unit
                            WARNING all replys are incorrect as usual

Comment

Originally posted by Kieran23 View Post
                              so you'd recommend the kenwood then mandy?

a few questions,

how long have you had it?
                              any issues?
                              how often have you updated the sat nav maps?
                              what colour are the button lights on the unit?
                              is it easy to use, like putting your own pictures as a background on?
                              sinse july 08 they had just come out

no issues

never updated the maps got us to the ring twice

we have them on blue but can change to most colours

very easy to use and pics updated by usb memory stick and would highly recommend.

Eamonn has had loads of different handsfree kits in his company cars and he says this one is the best, you can also play music from your phone via bluetooth conection

Comment

Working...
                              X