This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stage 3 too much ??

I know that 90% of people on here are power hungary but does anyone else think that Stage 3 is too much ?

i find that in all weather conditions, 1st, 2nd and 3rd are practically unusable due to the amount of power being delivered.

anything past half throttle in these gears just cause the wheels to spin and all traction is lost.

even in 3rd @ 70mph planting your foot causes wheel spin and the power only really becomes useful from 4th gear onwards.

i know some people will come out with the phrase "you can't drive etc" but i am on about in situations where you need to accelarate quickly.

a situation occurred on the motorway tonight and i had to leave a short stretch of hard shoulder on the motorway to rejoin the carriageway, i had to accelarate quickly to meet the speed of other traffic, this caused distress to my passengers when the car just starts wheel spinning and not really going anywhere.

constructive views welcome.

Unfortunately i would say that is a general problem with the VXR, getting the power down, whether the car be standard or modded. Obviously the more modded its just going to exagurate the problem more and more!

Comment

I understand where you are coming from but i still say its the way your individual map works , if its too aggresive you will get this and i have learnt how to drive mine in these conditions....Lets remember that there are million and i mean millions of more powerful cars out there with more horses and torque under the bonnet.
      HeavenlyDetail
      Youtube Channel - HeavenlyDetail

Comment

Originally posted by vxrmarc View Post
        I understand where you are coming from but i still say its the way your individual map works , if its too aggresive you will get this and i have learnt how to drive mine in these conditions....Lets remember that there are million and i mean millions of more powerful cars out there with more horses and torque under the bonnet.

agreed! the standard map is very lumpy and remaped cars deliver the power better and smoother to the road giving more traction to a point lol, wher that point is im not sure

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by S20 GST View Post
          I know that 90% of people on here are power hungary but does anyone else think that Stage 3 is too much ?

i find that in all weather conditions, 1st, 2nd and 3rd are practically unusable due to the amount of power being delivered.

anything past half throttle in these gears just cause the wheels to spin and all traction is lost.

even in 3rd @ 70mph planting your foot causes wheel spin and the power only really becomes useful from 4th gear onwards.

i know some people will come out with the phrase "you can't drive etc" but i am on about in situations where you need to accelarate quickly.

a situation occurred on the motorway tonight and i had to leave a short stretch of hard shoulder on the motorway to rejoin the carriageway, i had to accelarate quickly to meet the speed of other traffic, this caused distress to my passengers when the car just starts wheel spinning and not really going anywhere.

constructive views welcome.

For me the standard power is probably enough for use on the roads. I used to enjoy going for a blast on the country roads near where i live. In the VXR its a bit boring tbh. Coming out of a 30 into a national, you're on the throttle for prob 5 seconds and you're at the legal limit. Then its just a matter of turning the steering wheel slightly to make the corners.

The car is too capable for the roads IMHO meaning you don't get to really drive it.
          sigpic

Comment

dont care what map you got, 300bhp through FWD is always going to spin the wheels and have traction problems at full throttle

Id consider an LSD before going to stage 3 imho. THat will help you get the power of stage 2 down loads better, and provide a good footing should you continue to Stage 3.

Comment

in the cars i have driven which include a stage 4 astra on a wet day, i would say that 2nd gear on my standard car was worse than the tuned car! and even when i got into the which is where the power really comes into play there was some spin but not drastic spin

once you get traction though your off like a shot

Comment

Yes, far to much. I've never driven a VXR with an LSD to comment as to whether 300bhp is controlable but even 250 is hard work getting the power down out of tight bends on track, you find yourself loosing ground on cars as a result.

For me, stage 3 is utterly pointless. The first thing people should be doing is, LSD, RARB, springs/coilovers.
                I have a difference of opinion to you.

Comment

Originally posted by duffvxr View Post
                  in the cars i have driven which include a stage 4 astra on a wet day, i would say that 2nd gear on my standard car was worse than the tuned car! and even when i got into the which is where the power really comes into play there was some spin but not drastic spin

once you get traction though your off like a shot
                  Thats tame i heard there is a black beast stalking your neck of the woods

Comment

hahaha yeh i heard that aswell, mite try and steal a shot of that aswell when i find him

Comment

It's not the peak power figure that dictates wheelspin it's how you introduce it.
                      If your encountering wheelspin all the time then, as Marc said, the map you are using isn't right for you but it's very easy to get your tuner to modify it to suit you and make it less 'direct'.
                      If your right foot is telling the engine to deliver 300 bhp in 1st at 10 mph then.... When your rolling, in higher gears making 300bhp useable on the road is easily within the limits of the car.
                      I think a lot depends your driving style too...either off the rev counter, CTR style, or playing in the torque the car is delivering and changing up before the torque feels like its dropping away.
                      Just a thought anyway
                      sigpic

Comment

I found my standard vxr wheelspan and torque steered pretty bad. Got a set of eibach sportlines put on just to lower it and to my surprise it made it much easier to get power down. Now at stage 2 though and I feel at about 285bhp the vxr is pretty much at its limit unless you go down the very expensive route of coilovers and LSD.

IMO those of you that have stage 3 but don't have uprated springs and a RARB are mad.

Comment

....and 4 pots
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Insignia VXR View Post
                            ....and 4 pots
                            Yep thats another point. I don't think i'd like to go further than stage 2 without getting some 4 pots. So LSD + 4 pots = £2.5k. Lot of money really.

Comment

Working...
                            X