This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little help?

Hello i'm going to buy a astra vxr sometime next week or weekend and i would like to know if the torque steer is as bad as top gear, fifth gear etc say it is? can you stop it from turning to the side? do you have to keep a real tight hold of the wheel? and i've heard that they're not too good on handling, is that true? at the moment i have a c2 vts, will it handle as good or better than the c2? i know it will be fast on the straight though Thanks

torque steer is hardly noticable in my car, although it will be down to how you drive it half the time

and they do handle well, and adding springs and a rarb to it transforms it no-end

everythings relative, it will be more capable than your c2 no doubt, but its how much confidence you have in the car will be the telling factor
    Whats next?!?!?

Comment

Dont listen to what topgear of fifth gear say. The torque steer is not bad at all. take one for a test drive mate and you will defo walk away with an empty wallet
      sigpic
      TMS Bluefin Stage 3, Lower mount intercooler, Remus, TMS Alcons, LSD, KW V3's, ITG Filter, Iridium Plugs, Blue SMD Conversion, AFL, Climate, Cruise, S&L, Bluetooth, CD70

www.thorneymotorsport.co.uk

Comment

Fifth Gear and Top Gear are talking ****. They just hate VX, I did too until I drove the VXR As evertonian said, test drive one, and your wallet will be a few grand lighter

There is torque steer, but nothing major. It does pull right and left slightly under very hard acceleration, but you can expect that.

Handling is very good, great fun. Using the turbo boost to pull you out of corners is great fun, just grips!!
        sigpic
        Focus ST3 in Orange 06' - Dreamscience Race Re-Map - DMB Orange Ford Overlays - Carbon Wrap Key - ST Orange Trim Mats - Facelift Duffuser - Facelift LED Rear Lights - Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta - LED Interior Lights - Silver Side Stripes - ST & DS Badges - Tinted Rear Windows - Vinyl Front Grill Lip - Rattle Free

Comment

Originally posted by vtstovxr View Post
          Hello i'm going to buy a astra vxr sometime next week or weekend and i would like to know if the torque steer is as bad as top gear, fifth gear etc say it is? can you stop it from turning to the side? do you have to keep a real tight hold of the wheel? and i've heard that they're not too good on handling, is that true? at the moment i have a c2 vts, will it handle as good or better than the c2? i know it will be fast on the straight though Thanks
          no torque steer is not bad at all yes there is a bit when tyres are geting to the end of their life. the handling is really good. go have a test drive you will love it

Comment

To be honest the torque steer isn't a problem at all. It does get slightly worse when the front tyres wear down but still not an issue.

The worst thing i find is that because of the width of the tyres, the car tends to follow cambers especially under braking... Sometimes the wheel will just tug left of right but it's not so bad as to cause you a problem. Passengers probably don't find it funny though!
            sigpic

Comment

forget about fifth gear, the are the biggest back-hander accepting tv show out there...!!!

The Astra performs very well, torque steer is on how you drive it, handling is ace!! add some springs, LSD and a whiteline ARB (£1200) and you have a beast!

Comment

I am on second vxr. Top gear etc talk ****. They just dont like vxr. There is small amount of torque steer. Go try one am sure you will like it.

Comment

I didn't think the torque steer would be that bad as no one would buy one if it was lol. What is the turbo boost? Oh, and what does the sport button actually do? i know it doesnt make the car any faster but does it make it easier to drive faster or somethjng? Thanks

Oh and another thing, i probs wont be modding the engine as insurance will go sky high, so will it still be a beast without all the mods that people seem to be doing to their astra vxr's? would it beat a type r, seat leon cupra r, 106 gti's and so on? sorry for all the questions i just need to know what i'm going for as going for the c2 was quite bad, slow and endless problems. Thanks
                  Last edited by vtstovxr; 3 January 2009, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Dont forget that the car top gear tested was not a vxr at all it was a sri with some vxr bits stuck on as the car was not readly in time so vxl would have been better to not show but thay did with a leh stuck in a sri with sri suspention thats why it got slated, the finished car is much much more a capable car ans as been said with the rifgr springs and a rarb the car is a real drivers car.

www.courtenaysport.co.uk/ For all your tuning needs

Comment

The sport switch sharpens up the throttle responce the steering and if you have ids it stiffens the shocks up.

Comment

I will be getting a 06 astra vxr, will the sport button come standard with an 06 or are they optional? My mate has a leon cupra r and another mate has a civic type r, on a striaght will there be much difference between the vxr and those two cars or is the vxr a lot faster? I've never seen a vxr been driven fast as theres none up where i live, i've only seen the odd few, so is there a car that u can compare it to? a car that it will keep up with?

Comment

yes sports button is std and if your mates cars are std thay will get plent of looks at your rear bumperas you shoot by.
                          Last edited by vxrdave; 3 January 2009, 02:44 PM.

Comment

though the torque steer isnt a problem i love it and think its a nice little quirk about the car

Comment

Originally posted by vtstovxr View Post
                              I will be getting a 06 astra vxr, will the sport button come standard with an 06 or are they optional? My mate has a leon cupra r and another mate has a civic type r, on a striaght will there be much difference between the vxr and those two cars or is the vxr a lot faster? I've never seen a vxr been driven fast as theres none up where i live, i've only seen the odd few, so is there a car that u can compare it to? a car that it will keep up with?
                              The Type R will be at least as fast as the VXR! Especially the face lifted EP3! I can't say for the Leon though although that engine's output has had a lot more time and effort put into it than the Vaux lump!

The sport button is a waste of time on a standard car tbh. It effectively halves the travel of the already sensitive throttle! It makes you drive around revving the t*ts off it when you try to pull off and blend gear changes in. I can't feel a difference in the steering either.

My VXR is no faster than my old MK4 SRi Turbo except up hills where the extra torque and shorter gears show.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X