This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPS - Any thoughts?

So far the only hatch I know of that statistically has more power and is quicker is the Mazda 3 hatch. I knows figures don't mean much, but, it is limited to 155mph and a dealer recently told me the wheels lose traction even when you floor it at 80mph. (Not sure which gear - 4 I think).

I suppose that if the ST and Astra are almost identical peformance wise (and they have a .3 second manafacturer's difference in time to 60) then there should be even less of a gap between the Astra and the Mazda.

Just felt a little cold when I saw an advert today in FHM advertising 260PS What does everyone else think?

I think its the ugliest hot hatch out there, but it does look like the engine is very strong, 19bhp more than the vxr's but then it has an extra .3 of a litre.

Doesn't come in a 3dr which would instantly put me off.

Comment

Zoom Zoom Zoom has put me off mazdas for life

and then theres the classic men behaving badly sketch..."you mazda"

haha

Comment

Originally posted by VXRich
        Zoom Zoom Zoom has put me off mazdas for life
        Their adverts are terrible now that you mention it.

Comment

i`d be a little worried about myself if every time a new hatch came out i panic about it beating my car

Comment

they are ugly even the rx8 is not that nice looking and certainly not as quick as my beast
            sigpic
            stealth no more but beware of the silver lightning GSI with vxr power
            M.U.F.C.
            http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/

Comment

Yes, not panicing I must say but having felt "comfortable" for a while that the Astra was the genuine king, it feels a little as if things are moving on. But then this is inevitable as car manafacturers will continue to make more powerful cars. The main thing for me with the astra is the excitement factor, looks and the way it makes me feel.

Not wishing to start a slanging match as I respect all makes of cars for what they achieve, but always think it interesting to hear views.[/quote]

Comment

MPS3 is still new to the shores, only stats i have come across is 0-60 in 6.1secs and top gear mag had the stig behind the wheel and recorded an identical lap time as the astra of 1min 32secs but he was more impressed with the way the astra braked and handled on track, looks wise, on par with the golf with sci fi cloaking!

Comment

The "looks" are the only thing that let the Mazda 3 down IMO...

When you look at the price of the car and the spec of the car it really puts the VXR to shame doesnt it?

I mean take a good look at what you get on it and all for under £20k too

Equipment
                  Model Mazda3 2.3 MPS

SAFETY AND SECURITY
                  Mazda Advanced Impact Distribution and Absorption System engineered 'triple H' body structure to help protect occupants from impact forces
                  Supplementary Restraint System (SRS) - Central control unit and crush sensors, front seatbelt pre-tensioners, load-limiters and airbag system
                  Four-Wheel Anti-lock Braking System (4W-ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) and Emergency Brake Assist (EBA)
                  Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) with Traction Control (TCS)
                  Limited Slip Differential (LSD)
                  Driver and front passenger airbags
                  Front side airbags
                  Front and rear curtain airbags
                  Front and rear seatbelt reminder screen, with audible 'unbuckle' warning
                  Seatbelts:

Front, 3-point (ELR) x 2 with pre-tensioner
                  Rear, 3-point (ELR) x 3
                  ISOFIX child seat anchorage: Attached to outer rear seats

Thatcham Category 1 alarm and immobiliser

EXTERIOR
                  Tyres and wheels:215/45 R18 with 7.0JJ 18" 10-spoke alloy wheels
                  Temporary size spare wheel

Body-coloured bumpers, front and rear

Sports Styling:

With sports radiator grille, aero front and rear bumpers,
                  side skirts, roof spoiler and power bulge on bonnet
                  sports aero roof spoiler (in lieu of standard roof spoiler)
                  Body-coloured bodyside mouldings
                  Body-coloured door handles
                  Sports Exhaust

Wipers:

Front, automatic with rain sensor
                  Rear, 2-speed with intermittent wipe

Headlights:
                  Xenon, with automatic headlight levelling and cleaning
                  Light sensor (auto lights on)

Lowering suspension by Eibach
                  Front fog lights: Rectangular shape
                  LED Rear lights
                  Rear brake light, high-mounted
                  Rear fog light

Door mirrors:

Electrically adjustable and heated,
                  body colour housings, driver's wide angle
                  Sports-style shape,
                  electrically adjustable and heated, body colour housings

Metallic / Mica paint

COMFORT AND CONVENIENCE

Remote central door locking and deadlocking (with jack-knife type retractable key)
                  Power steering: Electric, speed sensing
                  Electric windows:

Front and rear, with one-touch auto down,
                  timer function and slight movement system
                  Global opening / closing
                  Climate control air conditioning
                  Sunvisors:

Driver's with covered vanity mirror and ticket holder
                  Passenger's with covered vanity mirror and ticket holder

Remote opening fuel cap
                  Front and rear floor mats, carpet floor mat, black, with 'MPS' logo

INTERIOR FEATURES:

Seats and integral head restraint:
                  Driver's, dial reclining and height adjustment
                  Driver's, lumbar adjustment
                  MPS-branded sports seats with black leather side bolsters,
                  red stitching and centre sections in black sports cloth with red stitched 'MPS' logo

Rear seats:

60/40 fold down
                  Centre armrest

Steering wheel:
                  Leather-wrapped
                  Tilt and height adjustment

Aluminium foot pedals
                  Leather gear knob
                  Silver front and rear inner door handles
                  Titanium finish door switch panel
                  Scuff plates: Front, with integrated metal insert
                  Grab handle, front passenger's and two rear with coat hooks

Audio systems:

AM/FM modular radio and premium Bose® sound system
                  with 6-CD changer (includes seven speakers,Richbass woofer,
                  digital amplifier with five channels of customised equalisation)
                  Steering wheel-mounted remote audio controls

Meter set:

Tachometer
                  Fuel gauge
                  Water temperature gauge
                  Trip computer
                  Exterior temperature thermometer, digital
                  Blackout finish dials with amber-red / blue illumination and 'MPS' logo
                  Digital clock
                  Cigar lighter
                  Panel light control with dimmer
                  Headlight on reminder (sound warning)
                  Front centre console with storage box; hinged storage tray and lid; two lidded cup holders
                  Further storage space
                  Glovebox, lockable with illumination
                  Seatback pocket (passenger side)
                  Door pockets (front doors only)
                  Front ashtray, illuminated
                  Interior light, dome with integral spotlight
                  Luggage compartment light
                  Inner mirror (day / night)
                  Heater ducts, rear
                  Pollen filter

Price
                  Model Price OTR
                  Mazda3 2.3 MPS £18,995
                  Mazda3 2.3 MPS Sports Aero Kit £19,495

Colours

True Red
                  Black Mica
                  Cosmic Blue Mica
                  Sunlight Silver Metallic

And as has been pointed out - initially more power than the VXR...

Shame it looks a bag of ****

Comment

Aero sports kit - so you can but one without a boidykit?

Comment

Car magazine tested the 3 MPS, VXR, Golf, etc, and didn't like the MPS at all.

They complained that it had too much power for the chassis, which skipped and jumped all over the place. They said the Astra was much more controllable! The main complaint they had with the Astra was plasticky switchgear and interior, but that was compared to the Golf...

Mazda 6 MPS is much better all round, with 4WD to get the power down.

dv.

Comment

When I was looking for a car. I checked few of them out, like Scubies and Mazda Sport (150 bhp). I loved the design of Mazda in every part almost. It's not as sporty looking like the Astra though. The MPS wasn't coming to Iceland until March they said (it was in sep-oct) so the choices were between Mazda 3 Sport and Opel Astra OPC. I loved so many things about the Mazda but I chose the Astra, first and foremost because of it's power and I also liked the sporty look. Was though a little worried if I was too big for the Astra and it would be a pain to get in and out of it. The MPS was a dream I had at that time too, but I know it would cost a third more than the Opel Astra and I could not afford that. The Astra beat everything when both price and performance was considered.
                        sigpic

Comment

Just drove it today. Lots of things to say.

When I got there the dealers (not knowing what I drive) were all smug, all of them grinning. As the car was pulled round to the forecourt one of them said "It's fantastic, the best hatch in it's class - what else - I mesn what else is there on the market?". I said "well there is the vxr..." to which he replied "pah - it won't touch this at all, doesnt even come close".

So in I got with the spotty saleschild and we went for our 5 minute drive up the road and back again. The car is pretty much as you would expect. The main difference with the MPS is that the power is delivered all of a sudden in a short rev range than the VXR. You receive max power between 4k to 6k and it comes and goes very quickly. The result is that the car becomes very unstable in this rev range even in a straight line when foot is nailed to the floor. The power also peters out after 6 k revs with no feeling of it actually happening, other than the engine sounding strained.

The build is very japanese. Tiny side mirrors, electric windows go up and down in lightnening speeed and on operation of a fruit pastille stuck to the door. One thing I noticed straight away is the very thin steering wheel. Did not make me feel I was driving something special at all. The seats were boring and not proper race seats. I also learnt that the car does not come with body kit supplied, you must buy an "aero kit" which adds £1k to your price, so now the car is £20.5k no other options.

Lastly - no sound, no engine sound at all. Not even a muffled burble. Just sounds like any other normal 16v engine.

Probably identical to the VXR in driving styles once you have learnt the character of the car and how do drive it as it should be driven. But not the problem I feared it was going to be.

They all said how they "couldnt wait for it to be on Top Gear" but I wouldnt be so sure it will get the rave reviews they think it will. The car is souless in every way.

Comment

i did a mps6 in the Astra but its ment to compeite with the Vectra

cant see much bother from the mps3

Comment

But performance wise the astra and vectra are almost the same, isnt it .1 of a second 0 to 60 stat? The larger engine is offset byu the extra weight, I think in a straight line it would be identical until around 80 where the vec might make a few car lengths, but that would be it.

Comment

Working...
                              X