This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Start up...

Sometimes when starting car from cold in the morning it sounds a bit diesly, the only word i can describe it , a bit metallicy until it warms up, any ideas?.

Yeah, mine does too. And my Milltek sounds as if its blowing from cold, even tho its not, yet when its warmed up it sounds fine
    sigpic
    My VXR from Start to Finish

Gone but not forgotten - one of the original crew

Comment

Yeah, same with me. The car just doesn't feel 'right' until it has warmed up but once it has..

Comment

I have "lost my turbo" on a couple of occasions when I give it some gentle beans within the first 5 minutes. Come 5k it cuts out and disables, no warning lights no nothing. Give it 30 seconds of no more than 2k revs and she comes back.

Comment

not good though is it thrashing a car when its cold. big no no in my opinion

Comment

The car is pretty much up to operating temp after 60 secs anyway - to do with meeting emission regulations. But i always let it warm up for 5 - 10 mins before setting of :wink:
            sigpic

Comment

i wouldnt give it some until the engines nicely warmed up :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by Dazturbo6502
                The car is pretty much up to operating temp after 60 secs anyway - to do with meeting emission regulations. But i always let it warm up for 5 - 10 mins before setting of :wink:
                60 seconds ? no way.
                You ideally would wait until oil temp hits 40-50degrees, just a little insurance to make sure the oil is thin enough to get round the engine nicely.

the noise you are hearing is probably piston slap. Essentially this is because the piston is too small for the bore of the engine, so instead of going up and down, it also goes side to side a tad. When the engine is warm the piston expands and fits properly and the noise goes away. Its quite common on engines with forged pistons. Cav/Calibra turbo engines do it, quite noticeable on those.

Comment

Originally posted by Crafty
                  60 seconds ? no way.
                  You ideally would wait until oil temp hits 40-50degrees, just a little insurance to make sure the oil is thin enough to get round the engine nicely.

the noise you are hearing is probably piston slap. Essentially this is because the piston is too small for the bore of the engine, so instead of going up and down, it also goes side to side a tad. When the engine is warm the piston expands and fits properly and the noise goes away. Its quite common on engines with forged pistons. Cav/Calibra turbo engines do it, quite noticeable on those.
                  That is what Vauxhall State matey :wink:
                  sigpic

Comment

60 seconds ? no way.

Did you contact vaux regarding the noisy start up daz ?

Comment

Originally posted by cwvxr
                      60 seconds ? no way.

Did you contact vaux regarding the noisy start up daz ?
                      Daz is an ex Vauxhall tech.

Comment

Originally posted by IanVXR
                        hmmmm, more the reason why he contacted Vxl to find out the problem

only messing with ya Dazzaboy, and a very young looking fella at that

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie

Hmm...not sure whether you should be worried by that comment Daz!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie

Why thank you shane, ill take that as a compliment :wink:

Its quite embarassing - at the age of 25 (26 the day after Brands Hatch) i still get ID'd a fiar bit

I actually read that bit of info about the engine being up to operating temp on this very site somewhere believe it or not :?

But i wouldnt worry to much about the noise.

Another thing to take into account would be are you still running th thinner oil in the engine?? This would make it a bit noisy, a thicker oil thats now recommended - 10w40 would make it a bit quiter on start up as the oil has more viscosity when cold then :wink:
                            sigpic

Comment

yeah my milltek sounds like its blowing from cold too, but when warm sounds so nice
                              Astra vxr mk2 with stage 1 EDS remap

Comment

Working...
                              X