This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can I expect?

Afternoon all. I've got a 07 VXR being delivered next week, to replace my 53 plate Civic Type R. I've not driven the car, partially because I like suprises but mainly because I had to make a decision quite quickly and just didn't get a chance...! Here's what I'm expecting (after reading through various forums) in comparion to the CTR - am I right?

- More comfortable, better ride quality.
    - Slightly better build quaility (CTR is starting to rattle and creak a bit now)
    - More grunt and low down urge (bloody better be - loads more torque than the CTR, surely?)
    - Noticeably faster...?

What do you reckon?

Cheers

To answer:
    1. Yes seats are very comfy, ride comfort very good even on long journeys, trust me I know
    2. Build quality has been very good so far. Some people with minor squeaks and rattles, but only a small proportion
    3. Yes the power is very noticeable, and just wait until you hit 2750 revs with foot down and you'll see what the VXR is all about :wink: , just remember the nappy
    4. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes.....

And just remember as well, for £500 you can have it remapped to around 265bhp and 280+ Llbsft

You'll love it, can't wait to see your feedback once you been out it in.

Comment

Oh and welcome

Comment

i think Alex has answered that well enough x

welcome to the site

Comment

Re: What can I expect?

Originally posted by Sououssooiloys

- More comfortable, better ride quality.
          - Slightly better build quaility (CTR is starting to rattle and creak a bit now)
          - More grunt and low down urge (bloody better be - loads more torque than the CTR, surely?)
          - Noticeably faster...?
          Think the Type R is smoother on the road suspension wise, but the VXR seats are leagues above the Type R ones.

For a Vauxhall, its actually very good. Just let down by the center consol plastic (silver or piano black). Both are tacky and let the whole dash down imo, but none the less, a VAST improvement over previous models. No longer such a gap between the German car and UK car market. I've not had any creaks yet either.

When running, hugely faster. Don't expect "off the line" power as its by far the quickest car off the line, but once moving, it responds very well. I think the remapped ones come into their own at 80-130 odd. Compared to the Type R though, you don't have to rev the gonads off it to get it going.

Handling.... Well, tbh, the older shape R was superb handler. I've even seen videos of the older type R leaving a Integra Type R (In STANDARD format) round a tight twisty track in Japan. Now thats saying something (just a shame the BTCC model didn't do well). I'd say the Type R handles just as well as the Astra, BUT, once you've mastered the "wavey ***" of the astra and learnt how to use it to help you round the corners, you'll love it.

Astra VXR is definatly a "drivers car" not a "run the kids to school" type car like some of the competition. It sits you in the seat with the stance of 2 hands on the stearing wheel. As soon as the turbo boosts up, you'll instantly love it.

In other words, your Type R was a great car, but you'll love the VXR to drive as well. A good new upgrade choice.

Plus as this lot will tell you, they can be made MUCH quicker.....

I lost out a good 20 car lengths to a Remapped and Exhausted Stage 2 VXR in our standard one on Snetterton straight, so theres LOADs to come from it...

Comment

Originally posted by AlexFi
            To answer:
            1. Yes seats are very comfy, ride comfort very good even on long journeys, trust me I know
            2. Build quality has been very good so far. Some people with minor squeaks and rattles, but only a small proportion
            3. Yes the power is very noticeable, and just wait until you hit 2750 revs with foot down and you'll see what the VXR is all about :wink: , just remember the nappy
            4. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes.....

And just remember as well, for £500 you can have it remapped to around 265bhp and 280+ Llbsft

You'll love it, can't wait to see your feedback once you been out it in.
            Lol. Thanks - sounds like I've chosen the right car, then...!

Comment

What other car gives you understeer, oversteer and torque steer all in one corner?

Brilliant in my opinion. It does take some getting used to. I found a 350BHP Noble M12 GTO3 EASIER to drive than this little animal. It bites, just learn when it is just about to so you dont get hurt.

Comment

Daimo: Yeah, the CTR certainly handles amazingly well for a hatchback, mostly due to lack of torque not corrupting the steering, I reckon. The only moan I have with it that you really have to be at 9/10ths all the time to enjoy it - and even more committed when the roads are rubbish. Hence the choice of VXR - I want the same pace, but with *slightly* less fuss, if possible.

Dizzy: Yup, torque steer I'm happy with. If you see what I mean. Can't have a 200+ ps front driver without....?

Comment

Hi Sououssooiloys

There must be quite a few Civic Type R drivers hanging about on here now then, goingto be looking at a VXR myself once my civic has gone.

Enjoy matey and i lok forward to a review of VXR ownership compared to the R
                  Cheers
                  AC

Comment

CTR's just a different kinda car to drive. I actually love the R range as im a NA fan, turbos are cheating

You don't have to rev the astra to get it moving either, just put your foot down that bit more. You'll be spending much more on juice though

With regards to your comment, you've chosen the right car. With the Astra you don't have to be driving it fast or balls out to enjoy it.

With regards to torque stear. Don't be worried at all, its really not as bad as people make out...

We've tried various acceleration tests in each gear to try to see if it pulls all over the place. Result every time..... Stearing wheel never moved at all, and the car just lurched forwards every time.. Try this with either of the other car's we've got, and u'll end up in a hedge at either side of the road... THATS torque steer

Comment

Because of some company car weirdness, I will be running both cars for a month or so, so I should be able to make a decent comparison.

Comment

Yep I'd agree what torque steer there is, it's very minimal and certainly nothing like what was made out. Once an exhaust is put on it's reduced, and if you get a map upgrade it's virtually non existent, even with 295bhp :wink:

Comment

Vids of performance comparison, although you'll need a mate driver....

Comment

I think the girlfriend will oblige. She hasn't had any points for at least four weeks.

Comment

I think the girlfriend will oblige. She hasn't had any points for at least four weeks.

Comment

Working...
                              X