This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed Limiters

Noticed the following thing on the BBC web area (sorry if it doesn't work, I'm an IT idiot)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6505423.stm

Not sure what could be done, but I think motorcyclists deserve support if you find them fighting the introduction of speed restrictors cos once they are all on mopeds will we all be forced to drive Nissan Micras? (no offence to Nissan, my mum loves her's!)

Let's not forget, they said this would never happen to HGV's or Coaches either - and it doesn't matter that we care about how we drive while many drivers wouldn't notice as they ploughed through a bus queue, the legend is that speed kills and other forms of "safety" cost money!

Why does this concern us? I dno bout you but motorbikes annoy me, just a waste of space and sound like my girls hairdryer!

Comment

As people are now finding, one thing leads to another. Irrespective of your views on Fox Hunting, the fact that the people who fought to get it banned are now saying shooting and fishing are cruel and shouldn't be for leisure, shows how easy it is for views to be expanded.

So we may or may not like motorbikes (I don't even like convertibles) but if they ever need support I'll probably give it.

Comment

All I can say is they can take away out top speed but they cant control how fast you get there

Comment

Originally posted by Marc J
          Why does this concern us? I dno bout you but motorbikes annoy me, just a waste of space and sound like my girls hairdryer!
          Because people on here own motorcycles.

And you must only see mopeds if you think they sound like your girls hairdryer!!

Comment

It concerns you because it's the thin end of a wedge.

Next thing you know, they will set their sights on "high performance cars", and you could be driving something that is physically incapable of more than 71mph.

Think about it, inching past that other car on the motorway, his limiter set to 70.25mph, and yours that happens to be set to 70.85mph, and someone inches from your bumper behind, itching for you to pull over cos he knows his will do 70.90.

A "Stage 1" upgrade will mean an accurate calibration to 70.90, a "Stage 2" might be 70.95, with a "Stage 3" going all the way to 70.99

dv.

Comment

Originally posted by dvinell
              A "Stage 1" upgrade will mean an accurate calibration to 70.90, a "Stage 2" might be 70.95, with a "Stage 3" going all the way to 70.99

dv.
              LMAO

Comment

Originally posted by Marc J
                but who would i play with on a wk end if they limit bikes :?

they want to limit bikes cos they do double the speed limit , thats us as well then :?

Comment

The majority of bike accidents take place when the bike isn't normally doing anymore that 70 anyway! So if the bikes limited to the leagl speed limit, accidents are still gonna happen with bikers goin into corners too fast, people misjudging the speed of the bike, or people pulling out in front of bikes!

Even if you come off a bike a 30mph there's plenty to go wrong! Traffic islands to hit, kerbs, sign posts, parked cars! And you rarely hear of a bike being killed on a motorway or dual cariageway, its always the back roads where its twisty, and the bikers been pushing too hard, or there's been a blind junction, or blind summit!

Comment

I find it hilarious that the only way this Goverment deals with high road deaths from motorcyclists is to limit their speed.

Why not spend the money on further rider and car driver education, myself being a bike rider I find it immensly annoying at how badly most people drive and fail to notice bikes in the most obvious situations.
                    I have a difference of opinion to you.

Comment

Couldn't agree more - and worse still people drive half blind anyway. My Dad's just had an eye operation and suddenly his sight has changed so much he doesn't even like the colour of his car. Motorcyclists? Starting to think he hasn't seen one in 20 years!!!

And also, the 70mph limit was first introduced by Barbara Castle in the 1960's cos people kept crashing head on on motorways where someone went across the central reservation. They bought in the limit cos it was cheaper than crash barriers, it didn't work so they built the barriers later but the limit stayed. But nothing changes in Government - being seen to do something that costs nothing is much better than doing something that really helps if it'll cost.

Sorry, ranting, I'll go and have a drive!!

Comment

Working...
                      X