X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To buy or not to buy????

Well thats me just registered on here.
    A big hello to all!
    Am on the contemplation slopes of making the big vxr purchase but just trying to decide on options!!
    Is the AFL worth it?? 18 or 19 wheels??
    Radio upgrade?? Leather??
    Such a dilemma!!!
    Hows everyone find their motor??
    Been out on a couple of test drives, shes certainly a powerful motor but road conditions have dictated care and doesnt help the garage owner sitting beside you!!
    Hope for some helpful assistance.
    Thanks all.
    Andy.[/b]

Hi Mac,
    Don't actually have an Astra, we went for the Vectra but some of the options you mention are applicable to both cars.
    The 19" wheels seam to be fitted to every car I have seen, certainly our dealer appears to buy every stock car with 19's and they do look the business. Also I have no ride issues with the 19's.
    We don't have the adaptive headlamps and I certainly wouldnt have spent money on the them. The standard xenons are very good. With regard to a radio upgrade do you mean upgrading to a full DAB unit? Again that is in the Vectra and we really find a bonus. I did see an Astra at the weekend with the colour Sat Nav and that looked very nice.
    Leather is always something I have always had in cars, but this time I have given it a miss and I don't miss it.

Comment

hi Chap and welcome. When I orginally ordered an Astra I went for leather , silver, CD70 and kept the 18's. if you want looks go for the 19's if you want very slightly better acceleration, better handling keep with the 18's. My dealer still has my cancelled order so if your interested PM me.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the heads up so far.
        Was thinkin of just gettin the CDC40, no point in sat nav, apparently it doesnt work over here in NI.
        I assume then the standard headlights are Xenon then on the astra Catherine or is that just on the Vectra??
        car i test drove was kitted out with leather and the heated seats were nice but dont think its warrants spending a grand on it!!
        am concerned with the room aspect tho, am 6'5" tall and head clearance wasnt great!!
        food for thought now on the alloys as well.
        had thot the 19" looked the part but where they practical!!!
        glad to c a site for getti some informative answers rather than the stock dealer answer to questions!
        thanks guys.
        Safe motoring!
        Andy.

Comment

Hi Andy
          The Xenons are only standard on Vectra but when adding Xenons on the Astra you get AFL added too. Its well worth it.
          19"'s are a must for looks
          1/2 leather is more than aditquate and does split the interior up nicely.
          CD40 in the VXR gives you the autochanger ( Depends if you happy with MP3's or loads of CD's)
          What colour are you going for?

Comment

to buy or not to buy

Hi Mac how are things made any decisions yet I am speaking from a purely personal taste but i am waiting for my vxr to come and i have ordered sat nav,cruise and leather tried to order the afl after the initial order but unfortunatley missed it by a day oh i have also got the 19s because they just look excellent theres my tuppance worth hope it helps good luck with your choices.

Comment

Hi Andy
              I would recomend the CDC 40, I heard it in another Astra and went for it due to the higher power output and stronger sound , it also has a built in DSP and graphic equilizer. The sound is very very good. also the Zenon lights are the best Ive ever had on any car yet.
              sigpic
              29 Years as Vauxhall Tuners

Comment

Upgrades

Hi
                I went for the 19inch wheels and to be honest as nice as they look any sign of a pot hole and your teeth with clash if you now what I mean.
                On the radio front I went for the colour sat nat and it is very good, even has a live download of the traffic on major roads so you can see on the map where the traffic or accidents are which is quite good. The actual stereo has MP3 compatability and sounds OK.
                I didnt go for the full leather one for cost and also it can get a bit sticky in the summer.
                Hope this helps.

Comment

i on the other hand i stuck with 18's over the bling 19's (performance over looks) red attracts all the attention anyway
                  i have driven both with half and full leather and prefered the half in both looks (race material breaks it up) and the comfort (my opinion others may differ on views) cd70 as i had it in my H SRi previously and it is a good system and the sound is clear, crisp with a nice level of base (usually i rip my standard system out but not his one)
                  afl xenons are a nice addition and after having on the VXR i wont go back to normal headlighting.
                  For me climate is a must (still cant get use to this cold bloody weather lol)
                  cruise as a freebie is another good option.
                  One thing i would recommend is the full milltek :wink:

Comment

Oh sorry for causing confusion, as all the Astra's I had seen had xenons, I had assumed they were standard like on the Vectra.
                    They are certainly very good, all depends on cost. I have lost so much on cars loaded with options at trade in time, I always vowed I wouldn't do it again and the xenons were one such items.
                    Having said that I think so long as you dont expect to see much benefit at trade in time, then go for them and any other accessory you desire.

Comment

Having written off my first vxr which was blue, 19"s, leather, cruise and climate and of course ordered blind on 19/04/05 i thought that is what i wanted. I now have a black one, climate, cruise and only half leather, if i had seen the only difference being the center of the seats and no heating i would not of paid the £1k, the door cards i imagined to be cloth not leather in all cars. I also think the half is better to sit in as you really stick to the seat and the sholders feels like it holds tighter, the seat goes lower too, must be cos the leather has a chunkier base or something to do with them being heated.

Comment

oops pressed submit instead of preview
                        Save cash on the leather and get the milltek, thats what ive done now, waiting on the exhaust to arrive, going by all the reports you really want one.

Comment

Pleased the claim and everything got sorted for you.
                          Just reading your post have I got the wrong end of the stick, or did you say that your leather seats were not heated ?
                          sigpic
                          29 Years as Vauxhall Tuners

Comment

Originally posted by A11VXL
                            Pleased the claim and everything got sorted for you.
                            Just reading your post have I got the wrong end of the stick, or did you say that your leather seats were not heated ?
                            Just me postin half a sleep again so not too clear, full leather comes with heated front seats. The point i was tryin to make is the full leather costs £1k and the only difference is just the center of the seat is leather and the front ones are heated. All the door cards are the same regardless of full or half so i my opinion stick with half and put your money towards the full milltek.

Comment

Working...
                            X