This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REMAP

I've got my car booked in with the VXRPC boys next Thursday for a stage 1 (couldn't resist any longer ).

However, can any one tell me (one of the tuners' help/opinion here would be useful) if, when you have a remap, it improves the consistency of the engines power delivery?

99% of the time my car goes like a train (big thump in the back with the lovely jet roar from the exhaust), but very occasionally, it feels like the turbo isn't boosting quite as it should (this is with Sport on and ESP off)? Almost like the ECU is deciding that for whatever reason, it is not going to allow me full boost?

The only other issue I have noticed is a reluctance for the ECU to allow full boost when changing from third into fourth gear at maximum revs - I can feel the boost come in in fourth but then be backed off slightly? I have also noticed that if I accelerate from lower revs in fourth the boost is much stronger (and acceleration much better) in fourth than if I change into fourth from third at maximum revs?

Engine is standard (running iridium plugs) and there is no reason to think anything is 'broken' - I just think the ECU is a little to restrictive sometimes and if a remap removes this trait it will make a good car even better.

Andy

Have to say mine is the same

Comment

Me too

Comment

dont forget the standard turbo runs out of puff after about 5800 revs.

i only rev my car to around 5500 as this is where the power started to tail off on the graph. its pointless revving past here as you will get that flat spot.

also, the vxr has torque limiter thingy (lol) it will cut power now and again when it feels it needs to to protect the drive train.

all normal, just dont red line it, its waste of time
        stage 2 vxr

[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by andy16vturbo
          dont forget the standard turbo runs out of puff after about 5800 revs.

i only rev my car to around 5500 as this is where the power started to tail off on the graph. its pointless revving past here as you will get that flat spot.

also, the VXR has torque limiter thingy (lol) it will cut power now and again when it feels it needs to to protect the drive train.

all normal, just dont red line it, its waste of time
          Don't agree at all. The fact that the power curve starts to reduce at high revs is not an indication that you should change gear IMO.

Acceleration will be determined by the amount of power available to pull the selected gear. You can be operating the engine well past it's peak power, say in 2nd gear and 6200rpm, but still have the engine producing more power than it would if you were to change into third gear and lower the engine revs to say 4500rpm. The power doesn't just vanish after 5800rpm does it? - it is just that the turbo can't maintain its efficiency.

I've noticed that the VXR is geared very well indeed and a change up at maximum revs will dump you straight back into the mid-range torque to enable you to maxmise acceleration.

Summary - there is benefit to changing gear at maximum revs - my car (yours might be different) pulls hard and clean to maximum revs with no noticeable reduction in power past the power peak i.e. ~5800rpm.

My car is noticeably quicker using the full rev range (when, following a change into fourth, the ECU allows that is...) than if I short-shift through the gears at say 5500rpm.

Also note that the sensation of the ECU backing the boost of is intermitent and not in any way consistent (and normally, but not always, occurs in third and fourth gears - not just 1st and 2nd where the torque limiting takes place).

Anyways, my original question was, does a remap remove the tendency for the ECU to 'nanny' the boost and therefore power seemingly randomly throughout the rev range?

Any tuners out there - any more opinions from those already remapped (especially those with 'only' Stage 1?

Cheers

Andy (VXRNUTTER)

Comment

Andy, I agree with what you have said.

I have a VXRPC stage 1 remap and have done over 20k miles with it on now. I love it.

I have noticed a drop in power sometimes and it's not the traction control. Most of the time it's fine and I can rev the car all the way round. I've always assumed it's just the mix of air and petrol that wasn't quite right and causes a engine flutter. (That's as technical as I can be! ) Therefore I don't think it's anything to do with the standard or stage 1 map.

It's something I have thought about chatting to Tony about but I never remember when I see him and it's not a problem most of the time anyway. Probably worth asking him about it though.

Also to bare in mind is the fuel. I always use Tesco 99 or Shell Power. I have had to put in 95 ron petrol a few times (this weekend being one) and there was a noticable difference in power on full throttle.

Comment

my car and i mean MY car is worthless past 6k.

im a fan of drag racing and i pretty much try everything to find out what the best way is to drive my cars. ive found that changing up just before 6k puts me right back into the power and i havnt gone into my "power decline" after the turbo has started to drop boost.

i howver do have the origional regal map (the very aggressive one) it has bags of low down torque which some will agree is too much for the fwd and not progressive enough. this allows me to change up before 6 k and still dumps me back in the range where all of this torque is.

if i was to have a different map however i may drive it different.

this is gonna turn into another debate which doesnt mean anyone is wrong. its all about opinions.
              stage 2 vxr

[email protected]

Comment

Thanks for that Ian - I'm asssuming the remap will not remove this tendency to randomly back the boost off for no apparent reason then? Do you notice the 'flat spot' on the change from third to fourth with the remap then? To be honest, this is by far the most annoying trait of the standard mapping IMO.

Andy - wasn't trying to say you were wrong, but must be a function of your aggresive Regal map that means you engine is done at 6K. Mind you, if your getting that much power low down who cares

Thanks for your input guys - I'll report back when remapped on Thursday and after speaking to Tony about this 'characteristic' that the VXR seems to have. Should be a good day

Andy

Comment

I have always had Turbo charged cars, last one was a 360bhp 54 plate impreza STI.

That also seemed to low boost sometimes (the same as my VXR does occasionally) if you lift off for a split second then punch the throttle again it should boost back to maximum!

I think this just a trait of Turbo Charged Cars, they dont seem to be as consistant as normally asperated ones!

p.s. would still never buy an normally aspirated one

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKEQUEEN
                    I have always had Turbo charged cars, last one was a 360bhp 54 plate impreza STI.

That also seemed to low boost sometimes (the same as my VXR does occasionally) if you lift off for a split second then punch the throttle again it should boost back to maximum!

I think this just a trait of Turbo Charged Cars, they dont seem to be as consistant as normally asperated ones!
                    Thats actually a trait of the impreza engine specifically
                    Its designed to give low boost (thus uses less fuel) when held at 3000rpm to make emissions tests easier!

Dont know if the VXR has something similar.

Comment

Originally posted by VXRNUTTER
                      Thanks for that Ian - I'm asssuming the remap will not remove this tendency to randomly back the boost off for no apparent reason then? Do you notice the 'flat spot' on the change from third to fourth with the remap then? To be honest, this is by far the most annoying trait of the standard mapping IMO.
                      No problem.

Just to be clear though....the remap is fine. It is only occasionally that I get a sudden lack of power...like a flat spot. I assume this to just be something like a misfire because of the air/fuel mix. I think I got that from something I read but I could be taking complete rubbish! There is certainly no problem changing from third to fourth. The car flies when you are accelerating hard! Speak to Tony about it though.

Although I have forgotten what the standard map is like I don't remember having a flat spot problem with it. You do get a flat spot if you use 95 ron petrol at around 3-3.5k revs I think it was.

Andy - wasn't trying to say you were wrong, but must be a function of your aggresive Regal map that means you engine is done at 6K. Mind you, if your getting that much power low down who cares
                      This is the same for the VXR PC remaps. Both Regal and VXR PC use EDS maps, it's just that Regal changes them using their rolling road and VXR PC don't. (Correct me if I'm wrong Andy!)

The VXR PC map is agressive....you'll be amazed at the power you get with sport on. Takes a bit of getting used to but God does it make it very quick!! 3rd and 4th are just and as for the acceleration in 6th it's

Comment

Hi Ian

I run V-Power exclusively so it's not a fuel issue.

The reduction in boost going from third to fourth gear is not a flat-spot as such, but I can just feel the boost being reduced slightly (it comes in strong initially) as I begin to accelerate in fourth gear. Others seem to have the same thing so I'm not overly concerned about it, just wondered if a remap removed this 'quirk' of the standard mapping?

I also thought that VXRPC had a number of different maps depending on driving style? This true or not (I'm sure I read somewhere on here that there were 5 at the last count)?.

I want driveable power, I'm not interested in a map that just spins the front tyres at every opportunity in the low gears...that would be pointless and just annoy me.

I'm confident the VXRPC boys will sort me out...roll on Thursday.

Andy

Comment

I also thought that VXRPC had a number of different maps depending on driving style? This true or not (I'm sure I read somewhere on here that there were 5 at the last count)?.
                          Yeah they do although I'm not sure what they all are. I believe it ranges from the ECO map to the agressive map. I have the agressive map and love it. Scared the hell of me when I took VPC's car out though! A lot of fun driving home to Bristol following the remap though! Still puts a smilie on my face frequently even after 20k!

Let us know how you get on anyway.

Comment

Just to add my pennies worth... I have had a few turbo cars over the years as well as n/a cars and i think that turbo cars feel like they have lost power when the turbo spools up and pulls like a train then the wastegate opens and the torque stops climbing...It still has lots of power but the flat torque curve just does not feel like a n/a car where the torque keeps climbing with revs.
                            As i recall on my Calibra turbo the thing would boost to 12psi then back off to 10 psi and you could feel it as a loss of power,if you were to "feed" in the throttle it would keep the wastegate shut and keep the 12psi boost!

Modern boost control systems may have reduced this foible but maybe they just get caught out now and again............Just a thought..

Comment

Originally posted by VXAH
                              Just to add my pennies worth... I have had a few turbo cars over the years as well as n/a cars and i think that turbo cars feel like they have lost power when the turbo spools up and pulls like a train then the wastegate opens and the torque stops climbing...It still has lots of power but the flat torque curve just does not feel like a n/a car where the torque keeps climbing with revs.
                              As i recall on my Calibra turbo the thing would boost to 12psi then back off to 10 psi and you could feel it as a loss of power,if you were to "feed" in the throttle it would keep the wastegate shut and keep the 12psi boost!

Modern boost control systems may have reduced this foible but maybe they just get caught out now and again............Just a thought..
                              on my nova turbo (with above engine) i fitted an external wastegate so i was able to play around with the over boost. also had a n apexi avcr fitted. that was funky bit of kit
                              stage 2 vxr

[email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X