This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cameras and arden blue

I've been looking at pics of arden blue VXRs and noticed that the 'darkness' of the colour seems to swap and change about, is this what the colour is like in the flesh or is it just the way that different cameras detect the colour? I've put a few links from the users cars section to try and show what I mean. All gorgeous cars without question! I just prefer the deep blue look and wondered if that's what the colour is really like. I'm tempted by black but I know that it will drive me mad cleaning it and it being dirty/dusty in no time at all. If it was just a weekend car then...

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...ICT0005vxr.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...R/oldnnew2.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3.../newassend.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a24/phinatic/s15.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...1/P1010021.jpg
    I'll just give it a quick wash!

As its metallic it does change colour depth (light/dark) a fair bit. It is quite deep in the flesh, but depending on what type of sun/shade/time of day/where I'm parked my car looks anything from powder blue to a real deep royal shade.

I know that probs dont help a lot but all I can say is try and view one in the flesh somewhere or any arden from the VX range.

It is quite a dark royal blue rather than a lighter shade.

The camera does make the colour problem appear worse than in the flesh.

Comment

Thanks, I feel a little better now. I was worried about it looking pale and standing out a lot. I don't think I could deal with a black car, great idea at first but I know that after a while it would get frustrating always being dirty or dusty.

Comment

I hated arden blue and swore i would,nt have one in that colour and like you was going to go for black. i then went and viewed one and was totally blown away by the colour, it looks great in all its shades but i like it most under petrol station lights and just go into garages on a night just to look at the colour yes i must be sad but its worth it.

Comment

Not sad at all, all part of the experience

I'm deciding over 18s/19s now, both are OK, but the money could be used elsewhere. 19s do give a meaner look, less 'Astra' like if you know what I mean.

Comment

with wheels its down to personal preference, although people say that the handling is better with the 18s but i just prefer the look of the 19s so worth the extra in my opion

Comment

I see that you have parking sensors fitted Mandy, what do you think about them?

Comment

Originally posted by Mandy
                ...under petrol station lights...
                :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

^^ Yes it really does look that good!

Comment

Originally posted by MagPie
                  I see that you have parking sensors fitted Mandy, what do you think about them?
                  would not be without them not the easiest car to reverse,and my driveway is a nightmare :wink:

Comment

This is an easy question to answer if you do photography....

Basically everything around us colour wise is measured in the kelvin scale and our eyes depict the apparent hue of an object and translate it into a colour that we then see......

A camera picks up the actual colour according to the temperature of the light source for instance...

Sodium lighting is maeasured at around 2500 k

A fluorescant tube around 3000 k

Daylight is around 4500 k and

Skylight is around 12,000 k........

What this means is a standard point and click camera will produce the same colour regardless of temperature and will therefore make every blue look different as the temperatue increases which is why at the low end of the scale sodium lighting produces a orangey cast and daylight gives a colder colour.....

Examples

This was taken at dealership on auto white balance and car looks cold and sterile

I then changed the white balance to tungsten and the car now looks too rich and surroundings have a blue cast due to fluorescant lighting...

BUT SAME WORKSHOP!!!!!!!!!!!!

I then measured the lighting for my better shots and produced a true arden blue that looked as my car did in these shots!!!!

So your car will be the same as everyone elses but every camera tells a different story depending on make and if its a compact or slr!!!!!

Hope this helps....
                    HeavenlyDetail
                    Youtube Channel - HeavenlyDetail

Comment

looks black tp me marc :wink:
                      sigpic
                      stealth no more but beware of the silver lightning GSI with vxr power
                      M.U.F.C.
                      http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/

Comment

I've heard that Arden Blue is only a VXR Color, so if you see an Arden blue Astra its deffo a VXR.

A Black Astra could be an SRI with a kit.

I was keen on Black untill i took a test drive in an Arden Blue and that sold it for me...

p.s. go with the 19's, how many hot hatches do you see with 19's on.

Comment

yeh but when you got 300 horse's they know it aint a sri
                          sigpic
                          stealth no more but beware of the silver lightning GSI with vxr power
                          M.U.F.C.
                          http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/

Comment

True......

you do have the element of surprise in Black

I like that, they dont know what it is untill your past them!

Comment

Thanks vxrmarc for taking the time to explain that, I think I understand a little more now.

I've seriously considered black, on the test drive I drove a black VXR with 19s and it felt really special, for some reason with arden blue I always notice the top of the bonnet and wing mirrors when driving, just seems to stand out. But with black... I looked at a black SRI tonight for a colour inspection, and whilst it looked fantastic (but dusty) as I walked around without even bending down I could see a scratch there, oh two there, another one just there. Sometimes they can't be helped but black does show up everything it seems

The 18s aren't too bad tbh but I love being able to see through to the disc and caliper

Comment

Working...
                              X