X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie - Warm UP/Down

Hi,

I'm 22 and have today purchased an 06 Astra VXR. Now this is the first turbo car i have owned so bare with me over the coming months.

Now, the main thing i know about turbo cars is letting them warm up properly and letting them warm down...

My question is, as it is standard, how long shall i leave it to warm up/down when i use it?

Thanks in advance

i would say a few miles each way or 5mins ish... depends what the outside temp is really also how fast the warm up miles are.

Congrats on the purchase... it maybe one of the best you make in your life

Comment

As the Astra doesn't have a temp guage give it a few minutes to warm up from cold before using the right foot too much....

At the other end of the journey just take it easy for the last few miles home.

oh, and have to agree about the purchase. You will not regret it. Mines a year old this week, and its given me EVERY pennys worth every day!

Comment

Well done you won't regret the good choice you have made
        sigpic
        More than 34,900 viewings and counting
        Click Here to.................
        See My Wheels
        See My Wife's EX Wheels now Sold

Comment

cheers guys....easy does it then start and finish...gotcha!...it was so nice to drive today, i can't wait to pick it up and drive it without the salesman getting in the way!...get it thursday...gonna be the longest 5 days!

Does fitting a dump valve cause any running issues?

Thanks again

Comment

no a few people on here have done it.

Comment

You have to be very specific about the DV chosen. I'm sure there are posts on here somewhere!

There are no benefits to fitting one, other than the psssshhhhttttt noise!

Comment

i'll do a search when i come to get one....

one last question...for now anyway!

the sport button...what does it actually do...salesman had no idea

Ta

Comment

take the smile from to

In all seriousness it increases power to the car, it alters the ecu parameters so the cars personality changes. It is like a tame to wild lion.

Comment

in a standard motor the sport button DOES NOT increase the power!!!!! in a standard car mel the sport button simply sharpens the throttle response and stiffens the steering a little. but if you have the IDS+ then it also stiffens the suspension. But on a STANDARD CAR thats all the sport button does. If you press and hold the sport button in for approx 5 seconds then it turns all the traction control off. to turn all back on simply press again.

Only on a Re-Mapped car do we then start talking dual map sport off for economy and sport on for warp speed so to speak.

But lewis on these modern cars now from cold you dont really have to let it stand to warm up, just drive it sensibly but normal if you get me. then after about 5 or 10 miles all should be warm to give it a few more beans.

On the turn off one though i normally take it easy a few miles from home, leave it while i open my garage as it takes me a few min then turn it off in the garage. Hope all this helps

Comment

With SPORT ON you get 100% throttle at 60% pedal press. The steering will also get a little more responsive.

If you have IDS+ it also stiffens up the suspension.

Get it remap'd and you can have two different ECU maps to choose from!

Comment

Originally posted by Daz_vxr
                        in a standard motor the sport button DOES NOT increase the power!!!!! in a standard car mel the sport button simply sharpens the throttle response and stiffens the steering a little. but if you have the IDS+ then it also stiffens the suspension. But on a STANDARD CAR thats all the sport button does.

Only on a Re-Mapped car do we then start talking dual map sport off for economy and sport on for warp speed so to speak
                        i stand corrected... i only really kno the ins and outs of the sports button which i learnt from stage 2 and stage 3

Comment

yes mel you stand corrected hehehehehehe consider your botty slapped :P :P

Comment

in standard trim, do most people just leave the sport mode on or for just 'special' occasions?

Comment

down to personal preference to be honest but i found until it was re mapped with sport on it was basically an on off switch, a nightmare to drive in traffic. BUt as said before its just as quick with sport off you just have to press trhe pedal a bit more

Comment

Working...
                              X