This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Niggles at almost 6k

Almost clocked up 6k since November 2006 and thought I would post a list if niggles:

1) Windows Rattle

2) Brakes Squeak

(both to be done at dealers next week)

3) Right hand folding mirror goes ooooorrrrraaaghhhhhSQUEAK when retracted it/opened out.

4) MPG won't rise above 22 ever no matter what you do.

5) I am finding grip getting harder to maintain, yesterday I had cause to take off from the line with some firm accleration from cold, I didnt floor it but still the traction light on and power loss. (This was ESP - not the ECU restricting power). Going down from 3rd/4th into second I am also experiencing traction cutting in and interfering, it never happened before and starting to make overtaking difficult.

6) I am struggling to maintain the wheels, the roads I drive on are teribble and covered in potholes of all shapes and sizes, elongated scarring of the road, gulleys and dips, it shakes the car when I go over them, grabs the wheel and pulls the car all over the place, bumps, knocks e.t.c. I can feel things getting very "close" although I have still managed to never kerb any of the wheels. There are marks and chips though, don't know where they came from but I believe we all have them.

7) Stonechips, stonechips, stonechips, stonechips, stonechips, stonechips, stonechips. Front, Back, Side, Roof...

the mpg seems to be a worry if your only seeing 22
    and thats if your ulta carefull?
    i see varying degree`s of all those points you made but i will not take my car in to the dealers unless i have too!!!(i.e i service)

Comment

5) I am finding grip getting harder to maintain, yesterday I had cause to take off from the line with some firm accleration from cold, I didnt floor it but still the traction light on and power loss. (This was ESP - not the ECU restricting power). Going down from 3rd/4th into second I am also experiencing traction cutting in and interfering, it never happened before and starting to make overtaking difficult.

The car will always be more lary from cold! as for the other bit i am no expert but as i understand it in my mind! i dont think traction control would or should cut in on down shifts. the other thing you have to remember is the car has 240bhp, which is a fair jump from a 68bhp corsa
      and will drive a lot differently

Comment

Yeah, I know... Maybe I should have been clearer;

When I mean downshifting I mean block sihifting to a lower gear. Sometimes I select a gear 2/3/4 times down the box to enhance acceleration potential and as a result I blip the throttle to ensure engine speed is matched with road speed. This negates any adverse reaction in terms of either overloading the front wheels with excess power to make them spin, or underloading them resulting in excess drag.

The result is that you are instantly in the powerband at an equilibriam with the engine the minute you select the lower gear, as when you enter that gear your engine speed is already equated to the actual road sepeed of the wheels in the new gear. The result is you can floor it, and it will behave normally almost as though you have floored it whilst ordinarily going up the box.

So that only leaves one option, which is, maybe now my engine has run in, I am finding that the power available in 2nd gear CAN activate the ESP.

Sparky will now what I mean... Sparky?

Comment

hi Ive out some wind noise coming from passage side window when i go above 70+ mph. i think if i put some lube spray on it might fix it anybody got this too

Comment

Originally posted by P_D
            Yeah, I know... Maybe I should have been clearer;

When I mean downshifting I mean block sihifting to a lower gear. Sometimes I select a gear 2/3/4 times down the box to enhance acceleration potential and as a result I blip the throttle to ensure engine speed is matched with road speed. This negates any adverse reaction in terms of either overloading the front wheels with excess power to make them spin, or underloading them resulting in excess drag.

The result is that you are instantly in the powerband at an equilibriam with the engine the minute you select the lower gear, as when you enter that gear your engine speed is already equated to the actual road sepeed of the wheels in the new gear. The result is you can floor it, and it will behave normally almost as though you have floored it whilst ordinarily going up the box.

So that only leaves one option, which is, maybe now my engine has run in, I am finding that the power available in 2nd gear CAN activate the ESP.

Sparky will now what I mean... Sparky?
            What the hell are you on about?
            is this vxr online on earth that i am on? If it is i will have a big bag of whatever you took just before you wrote the above!
            Note: class A's and the internet dont mix

Comment

Its just driving technique... Sparky should be able to clarify it for you...

Comment

Originally posted by P_D
                Its just driving technique... Sparky should be able to clarify it for you...
                If sparky clarifys this then you both must use the same dealer :wink:

Comment

Dont know your background Yosh but this is basic Advanced Driving / Racetrack technique...

Comment

Sparky is an advanced driving instructor.

I kno what P_D means *just

Comment

Originally posted by P_D
                      Dont know your background Yosh but this is basic Advanced Driving / Racetrack technique...
                      My background is that i am a realist! The way and words you have used look very text book! (equilibriam) i learned to drive a car through driving
                      not by reading the highway code or sitting in a classroom all that this does is learn you the rules! In an advanced driving /racetrack course
                      it maybee a good idea if they taught you about traction control etc etc
                      as with the background you have it was probably a vectra you were taught in! In your case i think a little knowledge is more dangerous than none! stop thinking about it and go and bloody drive the thing.

Comment

lol!

Ok Yosh will do, thanks for the advice :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by P_D
                          lol!

Ok Yosh will do, thanks for the advice :wink:
                          no problemo!! :wink:

Comment

Re: Niggles at almost 6k

Originally posted by P_D
                            Almost clocked up 6k since November 2006 and thought I would post a list if niggles:

1) Windows Rattle

Seems a common issue (all though mine doesn't suffer this) - dealer will be able to sort...temporarily...

2) Brakes Squeak

More often than not, IME, brake squeek is caused simply by lack of use. The pads fitted as standard, whilst still fairly mild, are harder than 'normal' pads and if not used hard regularly will squeek. If you go and do some big stops the squeeks will disapear...

(both to be done at dealers next week)

3) Right hand folding mirror goes ooooorrrrraaaghhhhhSQUEAK when retracted it/opened out.

Dunno - don't have these so can't comment.

4) MPG won't rise above 22 ever no matter what you do.

Very odd. I drive mine hard and get 24-28mpg usually. This weekend I did a trip to North Yorkshire and Greatworth ( :wink: ) and averaged 34mpg. IME, 60-70mph on the motorway will give 33-35mpg, 70-80mph will give 30-32mpg and 80-90mph will give 28-30mpg.

Perhaps you need to look at your driving style - having owned a Corsa SXi where your foot was probably welded to the bulkhead at every opportunity to get any go, if your doing the same in the VXR...

Are you running standard Continental tyres? If so, these are a very hard rubber and take a little warmth to give their best grip. Hence, from cold you probably had a bit of wheelspin you weren't expecting...not an issue really. Also, bear in mind that as a tyre wears the rubber tread becomes less flexible giveing less grip making heat in the tyre more important. This effect is more noticeable on hard compound tyres like the Continental although will affect all tyres eventually. How much tread have you got left on your fronts?

The going from 4th to 2nd issue is driver technique IMO. If you are being overly agressive with the clutch it is quite possible to ultimately lock the front wheels on a downchange and unsettle the car at the same time. Doesn't sound like you are being agressive enough to lock the front wheels, but you are unsettling the car which is giving the ESP reason to 'help you out'.

Try being smoother with the controls.

6) I am struggling to maintain the wheels, the roads I drive on are teribble and covered in potholes of all shapes and sizes, elongated scarring of the road, gulleys and dips, it shakes the car when I go over them, grabs the wheel and pulls the car all over the place, bumps, knocks e.t.c. I can feel things getting very "close" although I have still managed to never kerb any of the wheels. There are marks and chips though, don't know where they came from but I believe we all have them.

I'm fortunate in the fact that my wheels remain unmarked, however, the damage you are describing is unfortunate and unavoidable (unless you don't drive the car :wink: ). I always refer to stuff like this and stonechips etc as 'battle damage' and do what I can to prevent it but ultimately if it happens, it happens and there is little I can do about it...just take a slightly more detached view and enjoy the car is my advice - wheels can be repaired at the end of the day and a few marks are not something that should stop you enjoying your car to its full potential.

7) Stonechips, stonechips, stonechips, stonechips, stonechips, stonechips, stonechips. Front, Back, Side, Roof...

Hope the above helps.

My advice - ENJOY THE CAR.

Andy

Comment

my cars got just over 6k on it too.

think ive been lucky cos ive got no rattles, everything works fine, grip isnt really an issue, my wheels have one tiny scratch on from the previuos owner. ive got 27mpg as average on my fuel comp (and it gets cained)

and ive got 3 tiny stone chips. that you have to really look hard to see. i havnt even got any on the wheel arch.
                              stage 2 vxr

[email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X