This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How's this then!!!!!!!!!

Filled the car up with Shell Unleaded and I mean filled, not Optimax. Wife and I then drove from Newcastle to Kelso in the Scottish Borders for those who don't know where Kelso is (LoL)Then headed over to Jedburgh. Finally back down to Newcastle. My fuel gauge is now just before three quarters full, total mileage 139.3 Now normally it would be about, just over quarter full. I now confess I kept the speed to 60mph virtually all the time, partly because the scenery in North Northumberland is absolutely fantastic and partly because I wanted to see if I could get good MPG. But the strangest thing happened, nobody tried to overtake me virtually all afternoon. Only once I floored it to overtake a bloke driving a tortoise, then this chap in a Volvo estate came after me like a raving banshee, so I slowed right down again and he went passed thinking, I saw him off in his Astra VXR, Bloody Dodo. Had to smile, if the wife had not been there he would have been eating gravel. Anyway just t say it was absolutely as boring as hell VXR is for driving hard and fast everthing else is boring. Ah happy days.

what mpg did your computer say you did?
    we did a 40 mile motorway trip and got 41.5 on the trip computer

Comment

41.5 is a really good figure, my best is around 36.6 although I think I could squeeze a little better if I tried.

Comment

I don't take any notice of the computer. I don't really think its that accurate. I was just amazed at the difference, from driving hard to driving with a lighter right foot. What I will do this morning is fill up and do a calculation. I know there is no doubt that the Astra is heavy on fuel, but for performance like it returns, something has to give. Watch this space!

Comment

We took the Vectra VXR down to the south coast (chichester) this weekend then back via Heathrow to drop the wife off, filled up at Didcot and the trip was saying 361 miles, with under 1/4 left and a range of 45 miles, but as I had to get back to Telford didn't want to risk not finding another Shell station and running out.... so filled up, average mpg was 34.3. Not too bad I thought. :wink:

Comment

The VXR is a ***** over speed limit, at 76mph and below it returns a very good figure always above 32mpg but even 85-90mph only around 26mpg.

Thought this was maybe a method of keeping us below 76mph

Comment

Here we go, 16.35 lts = 4.32 gallons. 143 divided by 4.32 = 33.1 mpg. Was it worth it, I'm not sure. Hard work to only get 33 mpg.

Comment

thats good figs still

Comment

ltrs to gal is div by 4.546

www.courtenaysport.co.uk/ For all your tuning needs

Comment

My last car was a 306 GTI6 2ltr 167bhp (no turbo) and I couldnt get near 32mpg - the VXR is a better car by miles/can return better mpg and ££s per punch wins easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Scooter
                      41.5 is a really good figure, my best is around 36.6 although I think I could squeeze a little better if I tried.
                      i have no idea if the trip computer is accurate but if you leave it on instant mpg you can keep it above 40 mpg no probs :wink:

Comment

i filled up b4 i came back down south yesterday and did 178 miles and had 24 miles left in it but hey it's fun so i dont care just filled it up again so nearly £110 in 3 days good job i got a good job
                        sigpic
                        stealth no more but beware of the silver lightning GSI with vxr power
                        M.U.F.C.
                        http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by beema45
                          Here we go, 16.35 lts = 4.32 gallons. 143 divided by 4.32 = 33.1 mpg. Was it worth it, I'm not sure. Hard work to only get 33 mpg.
                          I think u've calculated it wrong mate. works out to be around 39.7 mpg

Comment

Originally posted by beema45

Mate, I get your mpg to be 39.76 over your 143 mile trip.

As VXRdave says, litres to gallons is to divide by 4.546; so better than you thought, and not bad at all.............

My current car is a Mazda RX8...........now that IS thirsty !
                            sigpic

Comment

Nice one boys, on checking on the conversion. I had converted to US Gallons. You're both spot on 39.8 to the gallon. That is a lot better, sorry to confuse you all, just proves that two heads are better than one. These conversion sites on Google are American and as we all know they **** everything up.

Comment

Working...
                              X