This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint chips and handling...

Picked up my OPC on Friday and can't believe how good this car is...anyone that has been in it can't believe the power they deliver...

Anyway on the jurney home I managed to get two chip marks from stones. I heard ppl mention paint chipping as an issue before and was just wondering how ppl deal with them.

Is there a problem with the paint (softness etc ) I never noticed marks like this on my old car ? It's the pearlescent in adren blue..Do ppl try and touch up or just leave them..whats the best approcah...

Also one other thing...when overtaking on uneven road surfaces she seems a little twitchy in the steering wheel..nothing too major but it is definitely something I didn't experience in my old 1.8 coupe astra..is this due to the tyres or the power or a combination of both...any tips for a newbie on how to deal with this...
    What I've found is to move out first and then deliver the power.

Tks,
    Dave.

yes i get this too. when over taking its when you put to much power down and steer at the same time mine pulls to the left when i over take with a lot of power but you do get use to it and you find out of much power you can put down with out it doing it? move out 1st then power if you got time to do it?

Comment

just seems to drift with the roads camber and shapes but nothing too much to worry about , as for the stone chips have a look in the search menu i'm sure vxr marc put something up about this hth
      sigpic
      stealth no more but beware of the silver lightning GSI with vxr power
      M.U.F.C.
      http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/

Comment

235mm width tyres will always attract some tram-lining with the road camber, nothing you won't get good at compensating for though

Vx aren't quite getting the priming right before they apply water based paint so it tends to chip very easily.
        You can try paint shield, decent respray or cheapest way is to use VXRmarc...in a nice way :wink:
        sigpic

Comment

Get your tyre pressure correct, I now use 35 front and 33 rear, this is when the tyres are hot not cold.

I used to run that pressures cold and meant running at 37 / 35 hot but tramling is a real problem on b-roads with roots and cambers, they all go away with tyres 35 /33, if they go softer the tramlining comes back also.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Mike
            Get your tyre pressure correct, I now use 35 front and 33 rear, this is when the tyres are hot not cold.

I used to run that pressures cold and meant running at 37 / 35 hot but tramling is a real problem on b-roads with roots and cambers, they all go away with tyres 35 /33, if they go softer the tramlining comes back also.
            what about tyre wear is it even across the tread.

www.courtenaysport.co.uk/ For all your tuning needs

Comment

Originally posted by vxrdave

From experience no, I had tried bumping psi up a bit but middle section of tyre suffred
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKVXR

From experience no, I had tried bumping psi up a bit but middle section of tyre suffred
                That would say not all the tyre is in contact with the road ? less grip ?

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKVXR

That would say not all the tyre is in contact with the road ? less grip ?
                  absolutely...hence why tramlining is less an issue, I've dropped down to std psi and now try old fashioned methods of less throttle and moving steering wheel when tramlining happens now :wink:
                  sigpic

Comment

Nice one mate think i will do the same, 35 all round yes.

Comment

Stone chipping really worried me too before buying and was all rigged up for a full bonnet paintshield but was concerned about the implications of waxes and depth on film so opted not to film....

So far i have done 2000 miles and i have ZERO stone chips or marks atall...........

I believe this is down to the multi layers of wax i have on the front and i know that the detailer i am friends with applys 3 to 4 layers of good wax on lambos and high end porsches and the customers always comment that the front end is so much better protected........

I really think even if only sealing put a few good layers on front and it will really keep them at bay.......

If you do get chips though remember...patience is the essence and just dab with a cocktail stick until the chip is touched but do not fill with paint.....just skim the surface as you must drip a layer of clearcoat on top approximatly 30% bubble as this will die back to an even level when dry....

Hope that helps......
                      HeavenlyDetail
                      Youtube Channel - HeavenlyDetail

Comment

I've mentioned this before & will say it agian, love the VXR...........but it dont half stone chip easy! My was chipped after just 1,000 miles, did 22,000 in my 54 Impreza STI and had no chipping problems!

Guess it's just one of those things...sounds like it's the same for everyone on here.

I do also get slight movement in the steering under hard acceleration, guess it's down to a combination of power, camber, bumps etc...personally i like it, make it feel like your controlling a beast!

Comment

No i can sypathise actually because i have always preached no swirl marks but have found doing tests with a friend that vauxhall clearcoat will mark by just touching paintwork say to remove a spec of dust on bonnet (as i found the other day).
                          HeavenlyDetail
                          Youtube Channel - HeavenlyDetail

Comment

I find with the rear the same as the front the balance of car or nose **** bob'n or somin happens. Not sure how to explain but try rears always 2psi less than front and the car feels and turns a lot better. No weight on the rear but the front is heavy.

And not too sure about wear cos i always drove 37 /35 and they wore even, so far 2200 miles and perfectly even with 35 / 33.

Comment

I find with the rear the same as the front the balance of car or nose bottom bob'n or somin happens. Not sure how to explain but try rears always 2psi less than front and the car feels and turns a lot better. No weight on the rear but the front is heavy.

And not too sure about wear cos i always drove 37 /35 and they wore even, so far 2200 miles and perfectly even with 35 / 33.
                              Agree 35/33 works well
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X