This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dump Valve Or Wastegate??

Whats better a Dump Vavle or Wastegate??

Sorry for all the posts im just new to the hole owning a car im proud of and want to MOD it and i've become a girl racer since driving the VXR.

thanks again
    Char

Dont know what you mean wast gate part of turbo, dump valve you fit in the boost pipe 2 differant things.

www.courtenaysport.co.uk/ For all your tuning needs

Comment

As dave says they are two different things.

The wastegate releases the exhaust gas pressure built up in the turbine housing, usually when you change gear. This is done to drop the turbo pressure when engine revs drop (otherwise you'd be doing high boost at low rpm).
      The VXR, like most road cars has an internal wastegate, which means the gases it releases are dumped through the exhaust. This is mainly for refinement.
      An external wastegate dumps to atomsphere. They are really only uned in motorsport applications.

Have a look at the wikipedia page for wastegates - the first pic of on the right looks very much like a KKK turbo as fitted to a c20let engine. You can see the wastegate to the right of the compressor wheel.

A dump valve or blow off valve releases air from the induction tract, the idea is it prevents the induction charge hitting a shut throttle plate and bouncing back into the turbo and slowing the turbine down/ causing undue stress.

Comment

so dump valve it is then, ANy suggestions on make etc.

I've seent he how to thread and shown my fella, he recorns baileys dump valve

wht do u think, i've been offered my brothers dump vavle for nothing and a T piece to tap off the regulator, Where does the valvle itself go??

any more pic's would be great

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by vxrdave
                thats really nice, i want mine to look like that

whats bailys dump valvle is that??

Comment

what about anti lag kits, NOW WERE TALKING! , shame they eat turbos for breakfast, but the true flaming is something to behold rather than some chav with a spark plug in his exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by shadbor
                    what about anti lag kits, NOW WERE TALKING! , shame they eat turbos for breakfast, but the true flaming is something to behold rather than some chav with a spark plug in his exhaust.
                    Dont need anti lag on the VXR as its vertually non existant.

As for the flame kit i guess your of the younger VXR owners and have just moved up from a Saxo and still hang about with your old mates.

Sorry imo.
                    Not really the thing for the VXR.

Char
                    Contact courtenays by clicking and call them, i think its the DV26.

Comment

Anti lag can kill the turbo if not designed for it, but strong ones will have a half decent life.

I understand that the latest anti lag stuff used on WRC cars uses injectors that fire compressed air into the exhaust to keep the turbo spinning as it is kinda to the turbo.

You wont be seeing anti lag on a vxr any time soon so I wouldn't worry :-)

Comment

I'd love flames kicking out the back of mine

Comment

Originally posted by alex_c
                          Originally posted by shadbor
                          Dont need anti lag on the VXR as its vertually non existant.

As for the flame kit i guess your of the younger VXR owners and have just moved up from a Saxo and still hang about with your old mates.

Sorry imo.
                          Not really the thing for the VXR.

Char
                          Contact courtenays by clicking and call them, i think its the DV26.
                          ok lets get one thing straight, i didnt say it was regarding a VXR, i was commenting on turbo cars in general, guy at work works on solbergs ex-scoob WRC, and has shown me videos of it and it looked crazy, of course never for a road car, let alone and astra FFS, i repeat Rally cars not astras

, how does what i said give you the right to take a pop at me like that? used to own a saxo? younger? hang around with chavs?

are you for real? the one thing that makes me laugh about forums on the net, because there is no personal contact, people all of a sudden get the balls to say things to people they would never dream of saying face to face, but of course im just a young ex saxo driving chav and your well hard

Comment

get over it mate it was only a joke.

As for the kit on a WRC Scooby then yes mental

it just read that there was a consideration for it on a Astra VXR thats all

Sorry you took it to heart never ment to stereo type you.

Comment

ok, it just did nt read like a comment that was a joke, was quite short and snappy, i just get a bit miffed when people make narky comments regarding other peopls innocent comments or opinions, or are rude on the net because they can get away with it.

if it was a joke then it dont matter.

Comment

Working...
                              X