Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help My 3wks old Astra VXR died! only done 1500kms on ODO..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help My 3wks old Astra VXR died! only done 1500kms on ODO..

Help!! My Astra VXR Had died...only 1500km on the ODO..

I just bought my VXR from GarryWarren HSV in melbourne about 3 weeks ago..
    I had this noisy hydraulic lifters coming from the engine at about 1300kms on the odo, however due to the dealer unable to source the parts needed and easter holiday coming up, I am due to book the car in on Tuesday.

I was told to drive her easy until I can bring her in on Tuesday.
    However on Monday night she broke down. I was driving on 2nd gear and about to shift to 3rd at around 4000 rpm then the engine just decided to stop
    and I got the error message on the On Screen Display "check coolant level"

I popped the bonnet up and found out that the coolant is empty. However the engine itself was not boiling / overheating. Road side assistance came 10 minutes later and the Road Side Assistance mechanic tried to put distilled water and tried to start the engine, however the engine just locked. It won't even cranked. We tried to jump started it still didn't work.

We decided it must be something internal, as we could see the engine wasn't overheating due to lack of coolant.
    She was towed back to GarryWarren.
    Yesterday they told me that one of the piston had failed and they are going to get me a new engine from Germany which will take about 2 weeks....

My question is...
    Is there a way to check if they indeed gave me a new engine or if they just replaced the piston / fixed it ?
    The car being so new and i am left with a loan car for 2-3 weeks, I think this is not good enough, is there anything can be done about this ? Should I accept the engine replacement or should I demand for a new car ?

My mate reckon I shold be able to get a new car, the reason is that even though they changed the engine (assuming they did) the engine mount wouldn't be as good as it was since its already bed with the previous engine. Also the car is only 3 weeks old....

Any helps/ thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Daniel :wink:

sorry to hear of the problems.

Leaving you without a loan car isn't acceptable IMHO.

Far as getting a new car over here you can reject good as being "not fit for purpose" - I don't know if Oz has similar rules - do you have a citizens advice bureau or a similar service ? (they hand out free advice on more or less anything).

As far as checking if they replaced or fixed the engine just go to the dealer and make a note of the engine number, when you get it back check it again - it will be different if its a fresh engine!

Comment

Hey thanks for the reply,

They gave me a loan car so there is no problem there

Where can I find the engine serial number ? I will definitely make a note and check it when I got the car back.

Thanks again for the help

Comment

sorry to read about this
        they'll need to change the engine number on ur registration documents so you'll know you've got a new engine mate
        plus u have to tell ur insurance ... they insist but for the love of god i dont know why :?
        hope u get ur engine very very quickly
        but it took 13 weeks for ours to get one off the prod line to the uk
        TMS did the engine refit and tweaks for us. They are vauxhall accredited and were "in 2 words" kin brilliant
        I dont think any vauxhall dealer has the right facilitys to do the job but i'm open to being put right on that
        hope it all goes well for you mate

Comment

hang on :?
          r u in australia
          cus if so, i aint gotta clue how you get it sorted mate :?

Comment

get a marker pen and marc the engine up somewhere only u know about and if its still there after they fix it !!! well you'll know then :wink: 2 wks is quick coming from germany too wow
            sigpic
            stealth no more but beware of the silver lightning GSI with vxr power
            M.U.F.C.
            http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/

Comment

2 weeks, don't think it will be put on a plane as it will cost to much for them, bet it will be shipped which will take about 11 weeks from europe port to Oz, thats after opel have packaged it up and put it onto a crate, then it will wait in a holding port somewhere to be checked by customs, and the same in Oz, then sent to your dealer... All that in 2 weeks, me thinks not, bet it will be a repair, i work for a company who order a new Vectra every month, i got one replaced in September 06 when they made a change to the engine, all the ones from October to January only managed to get a max of 4000k on the clock and died from major engine problems, the company stood their ground and every car was replace for new.

I know they are buying a lot of cars every year, giving them some power, but this is your hard earned money, so i would demand a replacment car
              sigpic

Comment

Yes....
                ?I think it sounded dodgy to me....
                I will demand a new car for sure tomorow.
                WIsh me luck guys, I'll keep you guys posted ::

Comment

the engine number should be on the ownership papers so once the new one is fitted you can check the numbers.

You'll also have to let the DVLA/DNV(or what ever they are called there) know about the change of numbers as if the car was stollen the numbers would not match up.

Comment

Working...
                  X