This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claying??

I may sound stupid asking this but i've never heard of it before until I looked on this site.

The vxR is my first real car. I've had a Hyundai and a Ford Fiesta Zetec :P . After buying the vxR I wanna keep it looking as good as possible.

However, living in Germany you can't wash your car on the street like you can in the UK. You have to take it to a proper car wash. The one I take it to is quite good. They jet the car first, wash with woolen mits, jet wash again, spray something on the wheels which removes the dust brilliantly. Then wash again with another mit. After that they guide you into the car wash then it gets cleaned.

Anyway, i'm moving back to the UK soon (Bulford/Tidworth area if anybody is down there from this site). When I get down there i'm gonna give my car a good "seeing" to.

What I wanna know is though is about the claying method. What does it do exactly and which do you use. Where do you get it from and how much etc.

Also, what is the best way to wash and wax your car and get brilliant results. Name every product to use if possible, prices and where to get from etc.

Can't wait to get back to the UK and wash my car properly.

nooooooooo! not a machine wash they guide u in i hope

Comment

Yeah. They guide you in. Don't worry. I watch them very carefully. It comes out looking nice and clean. The only downfall is a few swirl marks are appearing. Like I said, when I move back to the UK i'm gonna give it a good clean. Just wanna know what products, methods and tools etc etc etc.

Comment

Look here: http://www.vxronline.co.uk/messagebo...pic.php?t=3116

Claying removes bound surface contaminants that general washing doesn’t.

I use this clay, its perfect for vxr paint
        http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/detail...y/prod_37.html

When claying you need to spray a lubricant to the paint to prevent any damage. Buy this
        http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/detail.../prod_225.html

It last ages (dilutes 50:50)
        sigpic

Comment

when you get back if you want your car clayed and cleaned to show room condition give auto gleam a ring they come out to you and do a great job and once they have done it it makes it easier for you to keep it up
          sigpic
          stage 2

Comment

How much do they charge. Just so I have an idea and can start saving if it's gonna cost a bomb or make a decent dent in my bank account.

Comment

I personally use zymol autowash diluted 1 capful to 1 litre of evian.....

I also use sonus green clay as Vauxhall paintwork quite soft especially red....

Zymol autowash is £5.99 in Halfrauds at the moment compared to £12 everywhere else and they are doing 3 for 2 at moment so 3 for £12...... :wink:
              HeavenlyDetail
              Youtube Channel - HeavenlyDetail

Comment

Normal detail which will leave your car like new would cost around £250ish
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DargY
                  Normal detail which will leave your car like new would cost around £250ish
                  upwards...
                  HeavenlyDetail

Comment

Hey vxRacer.

On Thursday I clayed my car and I had never done it before so was a little worried like yourself. I got the Megs clay kit from Halfords (£22).

I tried it on the inside of the door first so that if it was to go pear shaped it wouldn't be visible!! Anyway all was fine and I took to the bodywork! I don't actually think you can damage the paintwork with Megs stuff (probably the same for other brands??) as it isn't that abrasive afaik. It took me about 2 hours in total to clay the car. My car is almost 16 months old and although has been washed regularly I had bits of what I assumed was tar stuck to the paintwork on the back and the side skirts. I had to repeatedly go over these with the clay bar. I used the whole bottle of Megs Detailer that came with the kit! Probably used too much but oh well!

It was a lot of effort as I was doing the Megs 3 stage system too!! However, all worth it now. I've just done stage 3 today so the first layer of wax is on and it's lovely and shiny!

Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by IanVXR
                      Hey vxRacer.

On Thursday I clayed my car and I had never done it before so was a little worried like yourself. I got the Megs clay kit from Halfords (£22).

I tried it on the inside of the door first so that if it was to go pear shaped it wouldn't be visible!! Anyway all was fine and I took to the bodywork! I don't actually think you can damage the paintwork with Megs stuff (probably the same for other brands??) as it isn't that abrasive afaik. It took me about 2 hours in total to clay the car. My car is almost 16 months old and although has been washed regularly I had bits of what I assumed was tar stuck to the paintwork on the back and the side skirts. I had to repeatedly go over these with the clay bar. I used the whole bottle of Megs Detailer that came with the kit! Probably used too much but oh well!

It was a lot of effort as I was doing the Megs 3 stage system too!! However, all worth it now. I've just done stage 3 today so the first layer of wax is on and it's lovely and shiny!

Hope that helps.
                      £22 should have been £13

You can damage the paintwork in the form of marring if the claybar does not skim over the paintwork but rubs on dry paintwork hence why you used all the qd so better to be safe than sorry.....

That is why i make clay lube useing zymol autowash and ro water or spring water......It means you can use sh*g loads of lube and it costs nothing......We used this on the Bugatti!!!!
                      HeavenlyDetail

Comment

Originally posted by vxrmarc
                        £22 should have been £13

You can damage the paintwork in the form of marring if the claybar does not skim over the paintwork but rubs on dry paintwork hence why you used all the qd so better to be safe than sorry.....

That is why i make clay lube useing zymol autowash and ro water or spring water......It means you can use sh*g loads of lube and it costs nothing......We used this on the Bugatti!!!!
                        I think it was £22 anyway. It was the big pack rather than the quick clay one. Two clay bars, bottle of detailer, terry towel and a sample bottle of wax.

What does marring mean exactly? :?

What! You used something that costs nothing on something that is well....priceless!!! :P

Comment

Yes because a clay lubricant is only a wet barrier between the clay bar and the paintwork...My vxr detail was done with autowash and so are my other details.......Some people use babyoil or babylotion believe it or not.....

Quick detailer by meguiars is only mostly water anyway and zymol autowash is fantastically slippery due to mix and as good a lube as there is......If Miracle uses it so do i!!!

Marring is normally a fine rubbed look on the paintwork and stands out in sunlight really badly bit like taking a rubber and dragging it across the bodywork......Worse on dark cars.........
                          HeavenlyDetail

Comment

Originally posted by vxrmarc
                            Marring is normally a fine rubbed look on the paintwork and stands out in sunlight really badly bit like taking a rubber and dragging it across the bodywork......Worse on dark cars.........
                            Ah okay. I don't have any of that although I did have a few instances where there wasn't enough lube on the paintwork! A quick spray sorted that though.

Thanks Marc.

Comment

Yea just remember that a £5.99 zymol autowash makes 20 litres of clay lube :wink:
                              HeavenlyDetail

Comment

Working...
                              X