This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stopping and Starting

I am aware that you should never boot the car from cold, give it a few minutes to warm up but i have also heard that before stopping you are meant to leave the car running for abit before cutting the engine.

Why?

People say its something to do with the oil Temperature.

You should let the engine idle after a long run or after having a blat around for about 1 to 2 mins to allow the turbo to spool down. Its in the Hand book somewhere, it said it in my old astra coupe as well.

Comment

I will remember that information.

cheers pal

Comment

It even used to be possible to buy devices that ran the engine for a few minutes before switching off even after you had removed the key, so you could leave the car chugging away - dangerous stuff.

It's strange cos in the days of the early SAAB Turbo's it was really mentioned a lot, but people don't seem that bothered today as the metals used in the Turbo and the synthetic oils have improved matters. Since most diesels are turbos and no one seems to nurse them and you don't seem to hear too many horror stories, perhaps the problem is largely resolved - or is it just that it's the last few owners at 100k miles who'll have the trouble?

My technique is to just run at low revs for a bit before landing cos I hate sitting there with the car running and the neighbours don't seem impressed either.

Comment

Alot of time i just play careful with revs and speed over the last few miles, I havent got the time to sit with the car idling for a few mins after long journeys.

Comment

Originally posted by VXR - xtc
            Alot of time i just play careful with revs and speed over the last few miles, I havent got the time to sit with the car idling for a few mins after long journeys.
            But what about all the time you spend sorting your hair before stepping out

Seriously, I do the same, keep car below 2K revs for the last 2 miles home and job done

Comment

Cheers guys

This website is pretty good when it comes down to finding about things about the car

Comment

Originally posted by AlexFi
                Originally posted by VXR - xtc
                But what about all the time you spend sorting your hair before stepping out

Seriously, I do the same, keep car below 2K revs for the last 2 miles home and job done

Comment

I had a '91 Mitsubishi Eclipse Turbo. Bought what's called a 'turbo timer' that was used just for this purpose. I shut the engine off, but it kept the turbo spooled up. The reason, if I remember correctly, was so the oil had a chance to cool down a bit. Can't remember where I got it from, but it was a good piece of mind to have.

Comment

I had a Blitz Turbo Timer on my scooby and it was really handy for just locking up & walking off while my engine idled for 2mins. Be sure to get one that enables you to lock the doors though as some wont while the engine is running. You can set them to idle from anywhere between 30secs & 2-3mins usually and lets the turbo cool down after you've finished driving.

Comment

if your running below 2500 revs the turbo is not spooling, two miles from home slow down and keep below 2500 and no need to leave it running when you have stopped, environment and all that eh ehh !!!

Comment

Working...
                      X