This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 888 vs VXR

may have been bought up before but performance wise differences between the 888 and vxr???

Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo987X-Au48

Comment

yeah but to be fair i think that the video is a bit fixed, the VXR would paste the 888 IMO.

Mind you i weent in a CDTI the other day running about 200 BHP and it was really good. Don't think it was as fast as the VXR though.
      Astra VXR - Power Red - Antracite 19s - Folding Mirrors - Cruise - ITG filter - Courts red hoses

Comment

the vxr has more power but the triple 8 has more torque
        stage 2 vxr

[email protected]

Comment

I don't get the difference between torque and bhp. Isn't bhp more important

Comment

Torque turns wheels whereas BHP is a pub figure about peak power of your engine...

Comment

i would rather have more mid range torque than top end bhp anyday, its pub talk
              Astra vxr mk2 with stage 1 EDS remap

Comment

Torque defines how strong the rotational force of the engine is.
                The more violent the explosion in the cylinder is the harder the piston gets pushed down, this pushes the crank round, producing torque or if you like "twist".

Horespower is the end result - work done.

Put simply torque is what you feel when you stick your foot down, horsepower is what generates the speed.

Go and test drive a Type R, you'll come back to the VXR and go "ooh the VXR pulls harder" - thats torque! whilst the Type R has similar power (read of a 260 horsepower version coming out?) it doesnt drive like a VXR because the torque they produce is relatively low for the power of the engine (200ps, about 160lb/ft I believe). This will be especially noticeable when "making progress" on a B-road.

As corsa says, for a road car mid range torque is what you want.

When you are looking at dyno charts always pay attention to the plots, horsepower and torque should be exactly the same at exactly 5252rpm - if they aren't then the dyno is bogus.

A few conversions for you:

1 PS (Pferdestنrke) = 0.983 BHP (Brake Horse Power)
                1 lb/ft (pounds feet) = 1.35 Nm (Newton Meters)
                1 BHP (Brake Horse Power) = 0.745 kW (Kilo Watt)

Comment

Civic Tyre R R, http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...lasts_off.html

Comment

My old Fabia vRS TDI (remapped to around 180bhp and ~300lbft) felt quicker than the VXR, but there is no way it actually is. Torque gives the impression you are going faster than you actually are...

For fun, quick diesels imo are still behind petrols and I got bored of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by vRStoVXR
                      My old Fabia vRS TDI (remapped to around 180bhp and ~300lbft) felt quicker than the VXR, but there is no way it actually is. Torque gives the impression you are going faster than you actually are...

For fun, quick diesels imo are still behind petrols and I got bored of mine.
                      Just get a stage 3 with 325+lbft and then you'll be laughing even more :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by AlexFi
                        Just get a stage 3 with 325+lbft and then you'll be laughing even more :wink:
                        lol

Nah im not touching this one. Maybe a remap eventually but nothing's being replaced or added on. Been there done that/wasted the money etc with the vRS :P

Comment

Originally posted by AlexFi
                          could think of better ways of spending £60k+!

Comment

Originally posted by Crafty
                            Torque defines how strong the rotational force of the engine is.
                            The more violent the explosion in the cylinder is the harder the piston gets pushed down, this pushes the crank round, producing torque or if you like "twist".

Horespower is the end result - work done.

Put simply torque is what you feel when you stick your foot down, horsepower is what generates the speed.

Go and test drive a Type R, you'll come back to the VXR and go "ooh the VXR pulls harder" - thats torque! whilst the Type R has similar power (read of a 260 horsepower version coming out?) it doesnt drive like a VXR because the torque they produce is relatively low for the power of the engine (200ps, about 160lb/ft I believe). This will be especially noticeable when "making progress" on a B-road.

As corsa says, for a road car mid range torque is what you want.

When you are looking at dyno charts always pay attention to the plots, horsepower and torque should be exactly the same at exactly 5252rpm - if they aren't then the dyno is bogus.

A few conversions for you:

1 PS (Pferdestنrke) = 0.983 BHP (Brake Horse Power)
                            1 lb/ft (pounds feet) = 1.35 Nm (Newton Meters)
                            1 BHP (Brake Horse Power) = 0.745 kW (Kilo Watt)
                            Cheers mate for that someone get that man a pint. I had an impreza 225bhp and alot of torque. However I couldn't leave my mates 197bhp civic type r from a 50 mph rolling start.

Comment

Thats probably the combination of extra weight, 4x4 causing more transmission loss wiping out your power advantage.

Comment

Working...
                              X