This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funny noise on throttle lift

Anyone any ideas on this....I do need to get to the dealer but won't get time till next week now.

When starting from a standing start I get a funny noise when I lift off the throttle. It doesn't happen so much at higher speed...i.e. in 3rd to 6th. I can't really describe the noise but it's like a little rattle.

I did wonder whether my car was disappointed I took me foot off so it grumbles to tell me it's hungry for speed!! :P

Is this not your wastegate chatter?
    DAP Stage 2 + extra's
    Don't yer neighbors love the sound of a Remus in the morning.....

Comment

Originally posted by Howell
      Is this not your wastegate chatter?
      I don't think so. I've done 28k now and I've never had this noise before.

Comment

Do you have AFL or normal lights Ian?

Comment

Originally posted by AlexFi
          Do you have AFL or normal lights Ian?
          AFL Alex.

Comment

Ahh, well it could be one of the AFL Control rods as I've been informed one of my light units requires replacing under warranty as one of the rods is broken and is causing a rattling/chattering noise - could it be this?

Comment

Ahh, well it could be one of the AFL Control rods as I've been informed one of my light units requires replacing under warranty as one of the rods is broken and is causing a rattling/chattering noise - could it be this?
              Yeah I noticed that post of yours. I only get the noise when I take my foot off the throttle though. Was this the same for you?

Comment

Can only really here it during liftoff but that may be due to the exhaust - does yours sound like it's coming from the engine?

Comment

Can only really here it during liftoff but that may be due to the exhaust - does yours sound like it's coming from the engine?
                  Yeah...I'm pretty sure it's liked to the throttle. The exhaust isn't loud unless you floor it and I don't need to be flooring it when I take my foot off to hear this noise. There certainly isn't any noise while on the move...only when I take my foot off.

Probably best to take it to the dealer. Just wondered if it was a common sort of problem with cars!

Thanks Alex.

Comment

Does sound like it is in your case Ian - let me know how you get on though as I'd be interested to find out what it was (mind you I'm sure others will be too )

Cheers :wink:

Comment

wastegates dont chatter!!!!

the fluttering noise from a turbo is air escaping back over the blades as the turbo stalls during shutting the throttle. probs never here it on a vxr cos it has recirc dumpvalve as standard so shouldnt ever stall.
                      stage 2 vxr

[email protected]

Comment

wastegates dont chatter!!!!

the fluttering noise from a turbo is air escaping back over the blades as the turbo stalls during shutting the throttle. probs never here it on a VXR cos it has recirc dumpvalve as standard so shouldnt ever stall.
                        i seem to here this kind of nice quite a bit, read somewhere that it was due to a loose vacuum pipe but dealer said it wasn't loose!

Comment

I thought I had "wastgate chatter" ever since day 1 of having the car. A kind of "shooo" sound on throttle lift off for changing gear.

My car was at TMS yesterday for its stage 2 and John rang me querying this noise at it shouldn't be making it. So I explained I had had it from new with the noise and thought it was suposed to to that.

Apparently I had a leaky seal or something, all to technical for me, which was fixed under warrenty. I was too excited with the S2 to get full details but I think I'll drop them an email to get the full story, as I think this should have been picked up by the dealer before I picked the car up.

So if you are suffering the same thing as I was then I would let the garage have a look, warrenty fix so no cost.

Comment

Thanks for the replies above.

I know sod all about car internals but I'm pretty sure it's not the induction system (if that is the correct term). It sounds more like a mechanical clunk. It's certainly a new noise that I've not had before and the car performs exactly as it did before...stupidly fast!!

The only reason for posting was to find out if it was a common problem on cars. ie. the throttle cable or linkage stuff! (You can tell I don't know what I'm talking about can you!! ) I'll get the car to the dealer next week to see what they say.

Comment

Originally posted by kingcobbler
                              I thought I had "wastgate chatter" ever since day 1 of having the car. A kind of "shooo" sound on throttle lift off for changing gear.

My car was at TMS yesterday for its stage 2 and John rang me querying this noise at it shouldn't be making it. So I explained I had had it from new with the noise and thought it was suposed to to that.

Apparently I had a leaky seal or something, all to technical for me, which was fixed under warrenty. I was too excited with the S2 to get full details but I think I'll drop them an email to get the full story, as I think this should have been picked up by the dealer before I picked the car up.

So if you are suffering the same thing as I was then I would let the garage have a look, warrenty fix so no cost.
                              If you or Thorney could confirm what seal it was that was leaky it would help as I believe there are probably a number of people that suffer with this noise?

Cheers

Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X