Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steering wheel wobble at speed (not wheel balancing related)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering wheel wobble at speed (not wheel balancing related)

I have another problem!

I've recently purchased two new tyres from mytyres.co.uk and have had them fitted. However, the steering wheel has vibrated ever since. I went back to the company that fitted them and asked them to rebalance the wheels FOC. They did this and found the balancing to be out and fixed it. Again, I had vibration through the steering wheel. I went to another company that I have used before and trust and they have rebalanced the wheels. The operator commented on how 'out' the Toyo's were which meant a lot of weight had to be added.

However, I am still getting this vibration through the steering wheel after 65mph! At this point I don't think it is the balancing of the wheels that is the issue. The tracking has been done recently and, although I will need to recheck, I believe the tyres pressures are fine. This is the second set of Toyo's I've had and I didn't have this problem before. Could it be a faulty set of tyres or have I got other issues?

If it is likely to be the tyres then I'll have to see if I can get a replacement set from mytyres.co.uk.

seems like a tyre issue, I recently experenced this with my other car. Went from Avon's to Yoko's and noticed that the Avons had been cuasing the excess vibrations at speed

Neil

Comment

yeh could be the tyres out of balance , but also check the wheel nuts just incase
      sigpic
      stealth no more but beware of the silver lightning GSI with vxr power
      M.U.F.C.
      http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/

Comment

I've had this, i think it is dodgy tyres. Never got it fixed just put up with it, but then it was an old civic......
        Astra VXR - Power Red - Antracite 19s - Folding Mirrors - Cruise - ITG filter - Courts red hoses

Comment

Thanks Neil. Yeah...think I should get on to mytyres.co.uk about a replacement. I hope they'll send a new set out first because I have to set the current set back!!

Originally posted by worsy
          yeh could be the tyres out of balance , but also check the wheel nuts just incase
          Yeah! I did check them actually! They've been off twice now so I would hope the nuts have been done up correctly on both occassions!

Comment

Originally posted by Daz5182
            I've had this, i think it is dodgy tyres. Never got it fixed just put up with it, but then it was an old civic......
            I assuming leaving it will cause more or uneven tyre wear though Daz? I don't want any more tyre wear than I'm already getting!!!

Comment

I've had this, i think it is dodgy tyres. Never got it fixed just put up with it, but then it was an old civic...... not VXR
              Astra VXR - Power Red - Antracite 19s - Folding Mirrors - Cruise - ITG filter - Courts red hoses

Comment

Is there an echo in here

Had my tyres done by local dealers and they had to rebalance them - toyos from mytyres. Still get a little vibration above 65mph, but what I've noticed is it's only on certain stretches of road :?

Comment

Originally posted by AlexFi
                  Is there an echo in here

Had my tyres done by local dealers and they had to rebalance them - toyos from mytyres. Still get a little vibration above 65mph, but what I've noticed is it's only on certain stretches of road :?
                  Funny you say that as I have found that it is very bad at times but other times not so bad. On a newly resurfaced bit of motorway it's bad which is suprising as I would have thought that new tarmac would be better! :?

My first set of 4 Toyo's I got through Tony at VXR PC and I've had no problems at all with them. mytyres.co.uk do sell brand new tyres so what gives!! I'll be giving them a call tomorrow I think to see if I can get a replacement set. If they don't replace them I won't be getting any more from them even if it does cost a little more.

Alternatively would putting the new tyres on the back sort the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by AlexFi
                    Is there an echo in here

Thats called bumps

It would only need to be one defective tyre causing the problem Ian.
                    Seems strange that both balancing machines couldnt sort the problem. A call to mytyres might be your only hope.
                    Let me know how you get on, im going to order a set from them so might be a good tester of their service.

Comment

[/quote]
                      Alternatively would putting the new tyres on the back sort the problem?[/quote]

Would you be comfortable that they werent defective though??

Comment

Alternatively would putting the new tyres on the back sort the problem?[/quote]

Would you be comfortable that they werent defective though??[/quote]

Well I would prefer a set of perfect tyres(*)! Depends in what way they were defective I guess! Don't want a blow out!

I guess it's difficult for me to know what tyre would be the defective one too!

(*) - Obviously my perfect set of tyres would be ever lasting!!

Comment

Working...
                        X