X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Dust and Cleaning..

Folks,
    Just wondering how you all manage to keep your alloys free of break pad dust. I had the car cleaned on Sat morning and within a few hours they're practially covered in dust. I mentioned to the bloke that cleans my car that I had been wiping the dust off them with a J cloth and he told me not to that Im only rubbing it into the alloy and will scratch them longterm. Just wondering what other folks use to keep them clean between washes ?
    Would rubbing them clean with a J cloth really scratch them ?

Thanks,
    Dave..

i really wouldnt think it would mate not with a j cloth i use them blue and white ones
    Astra vxr mk2 with stage 1 EDS remap

Comment

If your not bothered about seeing the brakes you used to be able to get a plate that sat behing the alloy covering it from the brake dust. i have not seen these for a while though.

Comment

cant you get low brake dust pads, eg geen from ebc
        Astra vxr mk2 with stage 1 EDS remap

Comment

must admit they do soil up preety quickly
          have you the 18 or 19" wheels ?
          ive got 19", without taking the wheels off there
          a pig to clean on the inside, the backs are not to
          bad, the fronts are much harder.............
          1- dics much bigger [cant get my hand in]
          2-front brakes work harder [more dust]
          as i clean my car 2-3 tlmes a week i use a good
          quality bodywork shampoo,then a good polish with
          auto glym wheel sealer
          brings them up better than when i picked it up
          if there is any heavy soiling i use auto glym
          engine & machine cleaner, a powerful non corrosive
          cleaner............
          never put acid base cleaners on a regular basis
          as i find it dulls the shine and can corrode the break
          components
          hope this helps..................

Comment

I just spray some QD on them, and wipe off with a microfibre occasionally. If you get a chance, you might want to stick a few layers of wax on em, t'will stop brake dust embedding into the alloy, and making it easy to wipe/clean off. You can get a gallon of megs Here, and a spray bottle. This stuff is really good value for money.

I just wash my alloys every other day though tbh mate with megs APC, or Megs wheel brightner. Keeps them in good order.

hth

Rob

Originally posted by vauxmad
            a pig to clean on the inside
            http://www.cleanandshiny.co.uk/Produ...ProductID=9111

Comment

Cheers for the responses....I have the "19's....but I only clean the car once a week...I will continue with the old J cloths coz they were doing grand all along..
              What's the idea with the Last Touch Spary detailer....am I correct in thinking you spray this on your car after shammying ?

Comment

the last time i cleaned mine inside i jacked the car up and spun the wheel as far as possible to the right or left then steering lock then spun the wheel while washing with a sponge had to sit on the floor but well easy , not waxed them yet but it's on my hit list
                sigpic
                stealth no more but beware of the silver lightning GSI with vxr power
                M.U.F.C.
                http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/

Comment

Shankley firstly i would not use wheel brightner on vxr alloys as the laquer is very easily chipped and they will milk over....

Secondly dont use a j cloth as YES they will scratch with embedded brake dust......

Thirdly apc from megs diluted 4 parts water 1 part apc is a good cleaner done once a week and get a wheel brush from Mike at the polishing company as these reach all the way to the back of the wheels and have a large soft head which will remove all debris inside wheel without taking wheels off....

http://www.thepolishingcompany.com/wheelbrushkit.html

These are the brushes used on the bugatti and they are much deeper than a vxr wheel....You only need the large one and i would not swop it for anything......

Most people use sealents once wheels have been cleaned and clayed but i personally have 4 layers of wax on inside and out and only wash with warm soapy water and they are never dirty.... :wink:
                  HeavenlyDetail
                  Youtube Channel - HeavenlyDetail

Comment

There you go, you've heard it from the pro :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by VXRobF
                      stitute
                      sigpic
                      stealth no more but beware of the silver lightning GSI with vxr power
                      M.U.F.C.
                      http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by worsy
                        Originally posted by VXRobF
                        stitute

Comment

Working...
                        X