This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They're good, but...

1,500 miles in, red vxr with 19's. Girlfriend has already curbed a wheel, but such is life, I suppose.

Anyway. After having given it a proper thrash up to the westcountry and back (lots of B roads, rough stuff, etc), here's what I reckon. (Those more technically minded, please feel free to correct me...):

It's apparent that getting the power down safely in fwd car with this much power is an engineering headache. With sport on and traction control disabled, the 'feel' during fast cornering is almost non-existent. I've no doubt that the grip is there (this is backed up by others who've taken vxr's on track), but the feedback you get through the wheel is minimal. This doesn't inspire confidence - without knowing the car inside out, you can't help thinking you're about to slide off the road.

Putting TC back on and sport off definitely makes a difference. I don't know whether the torque is limited at any point before wheel slip, or whether the slip limits themselves are low, but it certainly feels more planted, and you can feel the result as it 'digs in' more.

Sport button? Toy. Nothing more. Don't get me wrong - I love the idea of having a remap available on a button press, expecially if it gives more power (stage 1, etc, etc) but IMO all it really does on a standard car is make measuring out the throttle and steering more difficult. Especially when you're 'on it'.

Having said all this - it's a cracking car. A proper, raw (well, as much as any car can be these days), hothatch. It's not easy to drive properly fast, but then who says it should be? It's corrupted by torque steer, but that's part of the fun. I love it. I think my point is that I've discovered that throwing more power and torque at a car (no matter how well engineered) doesn't automatically make it a perfectly-adjustable, poised, drivers machine.

I recently had a go in an RX8 (low power version). No - of course it's not as fast...! However, it did feel more subtle and the limits were much more explorable.

The VXR's great. I'm going for a 350z next...

Comments? (lol!)

PS - on a more controversial note, I'd love to see a stage 2 / 3 VXR up against a standard one on a track. I wonder if all that power really makes a difference.....

PPS - ****! Mods - can you move this to VXR chat!

How do you turn sport off and disable traction control then. I thought you had to engage sport and hold to turn off ESP !!!

Comment

Sorry, meant with sport ON and TC disabled

Comment

Fair comments souuuuuu... I tend to agree with all you have written.

Comment

Topic moved as requested :wink:

Comment

I previously had an RX8 b4 my vxr. Of course the rx8 handles better but it is so much slower than the vxr. The vxr suits me better as I am mostly on motorways rather than single carriageways. I find the vxr much more fun. I dont drive a car on its limits around corners on the road, but I do push the engine to its limits on the road . I know u drove the low powered rx8 and I had the high power version but there wasn't that much in it performance wise. I have swapped a car with a 9500 rev limit for a car with a big kick in the back at 3000rpm. I reckon because I am not a pro driver I would drive the vxr quicker on the roads and track.

Comment

Originally posted by jimster
              I previously had an RX8 b4 my VXR. Of course the rx8 handles better but it is so much slower than the VXR. The VXR suits me better as I am mostly on motorways rather than single carriageways. I find the VXR much more fun. I dont drive a car on its limits around corners on the road, but I do push the engine to its limits on the road . I know u drove the low powered rx8 and I had the high power version but there wasn't that much in it performance wise. I have swapped a car with a 9500 rev limit for a car with a big kick in the back at 3000rpm. I reckon because I am not a pro driver I would drive the VXR quicker on the roads and track.
              Yeah - I see your point. Most people (just like me) tend to pass up quality handling, chassis, composure, etc in pursuit of raw power / acceleration. Let's face it - that's what most of us can appreciate better, and that's why hugely powerful mercedes 'comedy dragster' type saloons are so popular, I expect.

Comment

Re: They're good, but...

PS - on a more controversial note, I'd love to see a stage 2 / 3 VXR up against a standard one on a track. I wonder if all that power really makes a difference.....

Agree with most of what you have said, although with reference to the above, nobody has claimed that a remap makes the VXR go round corners faster - just travel along the straight bits *a lot* faster :wink: .

On that basis, all that extra power will most certainly make a difference on a track (as it does on the road). That said, bolt some sticky tyres, big brakes and some trick suspension onto a standard VXR and it'd give a remapped car a hard time on a circuit in terms of lap time.

My VXR has been remapped (VXRPC) and I've fitted the pre-cat replacement downpipe - the car is now in a different league in terms of staright line performance and still goes round corners as fast as it ever did...happy days

Andy

P.S. Regarding the issue you raise with 'light' steering, its never going to be the most feelsome given that the car is front drive and has to steer and power through the same wheels, but I found that once I had adapted to car, the steering progressively improved as my sensitivity to it increased overtime - I actually now think the steering is quite good.

Comment

Well unless I`ve been driving a different car to everybody else, I dont see any problem with so called "Clarkson" Torque steer????

The only way the car would pull left or right would be with my hands off the wheel and thats not really recomended.

Oh And Me car is Stage 3 too so you would have thought the problem would have been magnified. Mel can hopefully back me up on this.

Comment

torque steer is sat there ready to throw you in to a bush when you try to overtake on an uneven road

its not bad but it needs both hands on the sterring wheel when overtaking

Comment

OK, having done 20k in the astra now and had stage 3 for the last 4months i can hand on heart say that i dont feel that this car has any real bad torque steer at all. Yes I boot it and certainly don't do miss daisy, also being a female I think that I would be more sensitive to the effects than blokes would be.

I think this is a fantastic car with great response through corners (lost grip once on wet leaves at the end of a corner) however I've only felt really confident about chucking it around since ditching conti's and getting goodyear as the conti's were in my opinion not sensitive enough for me to be 100% confident.

I think having only done 1500miles you still have alot to learn about the car and since you have the 600-1000miles bedding in stage that only really gives you 900-500miles of hard driving. It will deff feel better later on.

Comment

Id tend also to agree with what Sououssooiloys is saying. He has described the cornering on B roads which i can relate to on a daily basis. For people driving in towns and motorways etc there will hardly ever be an issue with torque steer. I think the vxr is brilliant (also running stage 3), but you have to accept that you have to control the throttle a lot more on twisty b roads than say a 4wd or a good rwd. In a straight line the Astra would probably beat my old Impreza but on most of the roads where i stay, even a slightly underpowered Subaru would leave the Astra for dead.
                        Just a fact of owning a fwd i guess.

Comment

Originally posted by m4rtc
                          Id tend also to agree with what Sououssooiloys is saying. He has described the cornering on B roads which i can relate to on a daily basis. For people driving in towns and motorways etc there will hardly ever be an issue with torque steer. I think the VXR is brilliant (also running stage 3), but you have to accept that you have to control the throttle a lot more on twisty b roads than say a 4wd or a good rwd. In a straight line the Astra would probably beat my old Impreza but on most of the roads where i stay, even a slightly underpowered Subaru would leave the Astra for dead.
                          Nah, you just can't drive you....and when did u last check your tyre pressures :wink:
                          300 roundabouts here, Pivoting round the gear stick...
                          Have to say not a great fan of the Conti's though....
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKVXR
                            Id tend also to agree with what Sououssooiloys is saying. He has described the cornering on B roads which i can relate to on a daily basis. For people driving in towns and motorways etc there will hardly ever be an issue with torque steer. I think the VXR is brilliant (also running stage 3), but you have to accept that you have to control the throttle a lot more on twisty b roads than say a 4wd or a good rwd. In a straight line the Astra would probably beat my old Impreza but on most of the roads where i stay, even a slightly underpowered Subaru would leave the Astra for dead.
                            Nah, you just can't drive you....and when did u last check your tyre pressures :wink:
                            Have to say not a great fan of the Coni's though....
                            Mk is like a training school for American learner drivers

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKVXR
                              Have to say not a great fan of the Coni's though....
                              Mk is like a training school for American learner drivers
                              BA Baracus did his test here
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X