X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VXR vs M3

||
    Last edited by napster; 24 April 2008, 06:11 PM.

Interesting post - I feel having driven both that the M3 is slightly quicker - but, I also think the margin is small. Will be down to the driver at the end of the day, and, judging by your words you seem to know about maintaining your grip levels / straightlining, and that will always give the upper hand.

Comment

I would have thought the M3 would have been faster but like you say it's down to the driver and the driving on the day. I was pushing it a bit - I mean I normally take that bend at 65 without an issue so getting on 85 it was a bit hairy. My old IAM observer used to race competitively and knew some Class 1 police drivers. From time to time on a practically disused old military road he demonstrated some driving techniques to balance a car through bends at speed.

Comment

i know the road you mean - or I think I do..... saying that though, doing 110 isnt too bright is it!!!
        Keep this sort of thing to the racetracks otherwise one day it will catch you out and it will end in tears.

Forgot to mention, I too am an IAM member, although this doesnt constitute to driving at high speeds endangering lives. Even with blues and twos, plod are restricted to limits AFAIK.

Comment

kph ??? :wink:
          Insignia VXR, quite nippy!

Comment

how do you turn on the ESP , sorry about this novice question, I know how to turn the sport on and think I know how to turn the esp off but the not on.

Comment

Originally posted by P_D
              Interesting post - I feel having driven both that the M3 is slightly quicker - but, I also think the margin is small. Will be down to the driver at the end of the day, and, judging by your words you seem to know about maintaining your grip levels / straightlining, and that will always give the upper hand.
              Sorry, but a properly driven E46 M3 will hand a standard VXR it's *** on a plate mate... End of!!!
              Yeah, an M3 with a total muppet driving it may put up a dismal performance against a VXR, but you can say that about any car.. But if both driven properly, the M3 will be saying cheers!!! :wink:

Comment

thats only 10 mins from where i live!, where are you in Notts?

Comment

Originally posted by barney
                  Even with blues and twos, plod are restricted to limits AFAIK.
                  No, there are no restrictions.

Comment

Originally posted by stevej
                    how do you turn on the ESP , sorry about this novice question, I know how to turn the sport on and think I know how to turn the esp off but the not on.
                    I didn't turn it 'on' just didn't turn it 'off'. You turn it off by holding the Sport button for four seconds (although it's never fully off - will kick in in the event of an accident being sensed - impending doom fail safe lol) Rest of the time it's on.

Originally posted by 270 Horses, 1 Jockey!
                    Sorry, but a properly driven E46 M3 will hand a standard VXR it's *** on a plate mate... End of!!!
                    Yeah, an M3 with a total muppet driving it may put up a dismal performance against a VXR, but you can say that about any car.. But if both driven properly, the M3 will be saying cheers!!! :wink:
                    Well I can't answer for the M3 but I was taking the inside because I felt the straight-line was better than risking drift staying on the outside and then having no where to go. But fact remains - he was pushing hard all the way to just before the bend then backed off - I didn't! He kept to the outside though while I took the inside.

Comment

I'm not doubting your encounter mate.. You obviously took a better line and had bigger ********... What i'm saying is, standard for standard, the M3 is a lot quicker..

Comment

how would i stage 2/3 get on with one?

Comment

Originally posted by P_D
                          Originally posted by barney
                          Even with blues and twos, plod are restricted to limits AFAIK.
                          No, there are no restrictions.
                          What so in a 30 they can do say 90 mph.......... ????

Comment

Yes if it is safe to do so. Its not uncommon to find 30mph roads where if the circumstances are right, you could do 120mph. Speed in itself is not dangerous, it is only made dangerous when it is inapproriate for the circumstances. Thats why people who receive tickets for excess high speeds on motorways do not get done for Dangerous Driving.

The speed exemption afforded to emergency services states that exemptions apply in respect of speed limits, automated traffic signals and keep right/keep left arrows where to conform to these regulations would hinder the purpose of the vehicle. The exemption is a balnket one, i.e it is not reliant on the speed limit being exceeded by a fraction of the original limit.

Thats not to say that emergency service drivers cannot get prosecuted for dangerous driving / careless driving or any other traffic law because they can, but the training provided to them affords them the ability to justify whether or not their speed in appropriate for the circumstances.

In some 30mph limits it would be unsafe to do 30mph, (imagine parked cars either side of the road at 4pm when school is kicking out), in others it could be safe to do ovr 100mph (no parked cars, good visibilty, light traffic, few side roads/driveways, able to straddle the white lines to increase your error margins e.t.c.)

Comment

Originally posted by leepy
                              how would i stage 2/3 get on with one?
                              Stage 3 will hold it's own i'd say.. But anything below that will get beat by a properly driven M3..

Comment

Working...
                              X