This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which oil?

Car is going in for it's first service soon, what oil shall i get them to put in it? shall i leave them to it to put normal vauxhall or go for something different?

Ta

Daz
    Astra VXR - Power Red - Antracite 19s - Folding Mirrors - Cruise - ITG filter - Courts red hoses

Just get em to put in the normal 5/30 - would only change it if/when you get some work done on the engine :wink:

Comment

I'm thinking of stage 1 pretty soon, does that make a difference?
      Astra VXR - Power Red - Antracite 19s - Folding Mirrors - Cruise - ITG filter - Courts red hoses

Comment

Will probably be fine with 5/30. Normally it's only changed if you have some oil seepage from the turbo, or are running a higher tune. I've got 10/40 in mine but only because I'm running the stage 3.

Comment

Daz,
          On a side note , I had a thorney stage 1 today , 227bhp before, 255bhp after. You notice the difference , not an immense difference, but it does pull on the motorway. Gonna go back for the stage 2 when i get the reddies, they reckon 285bhp and 300lbs/ft on mine, which will be REALLY different!.

Comment

227 to 255, no offence mate but that is rubbish from standard, how can they sell a car saying that it has 240 bhp when it doesn't?

Hope you enjoy it mate. Don't go stacking it.

Comment

Originally posted by Daz5182
              227 to 255, no offence mate but that is rubbish from standard, how can they sell a car saying that it has 240 bhp when it doesn't?

Hope you enjoy it mate. Don't go stacking it.
              Apparently there are varying levels of standard vxr, some with 250 as standard , mine was in the low category but by no means the worst that has been seen. And a gain of 28bhp out of a simple re-map is very good!, the curve is now nice and smooth, the standard curve had a slight dip at about 3500rpms, it irons all the imperfections out.

And you have to remember dyno figures can be taken with a pinch of salt, it was a hot day forinstance which could affect it. Lots of variables.

Comment

Originally posted by cwvxr
                Daz,
                On a side note , I had a thorney stage 1 today , 227bhp before, 255bhp after. You notice the difference , not an immense difference, but it does pull on the motorway. Gonna go back for the stage 2 when i get the reddies, they reckon 285bhp and 300lbs/ft on mine, which will be REALLY different!.
                The car will get better over time with the remap - mine did (VXRPC Stage 1 map). Give it a couple of hundred miles...

It is said time and time again - the power figures at the crank are calulated (based on run-down drag on the rollers), not measured and something as benign as low tyre pressures can actually cause this calculation to be incorrect...

Your measured wheel horsepower (the only figure that should ever really be quoted IMO (before and after the remap) following a dyno run) would be far more interesting :wink: and would give a far more accurate indication of your gains.

Enjoy the car now - it will continue to get better and better....

Andy

Comment

Each car needs to loosen up the engine so mileage and use can affect a standard cars BHP, and by quite some margin.

The Dyno Dynamics does produce slightly lower flywheel figures than say other RR do, but the main importance here is the increase over the standard figure and in defense 28bhp is a good gain.

Comment

I stand corrected then, the gain is very good, i'm not disputing that, it is the figure from standard that concerns me.

Oh well, fingers crossed i've got 250 in mine then...

Comment

Working...
                    X